Do You Hear a Difference

Do You Hear a Difference

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Clinically yes, I can hear they are not exactly the same. However, I couldn't really tell by ear what it was and which I would honestly prefer. Did some DAW analysis with EQ etc... and found something ... but nothing really remarkable. It's so damn close that it doesn't bother me.

Same here. I'm more surprised how similar than they are than different.

actually, I did (and looking at right now). There are enough differences to be audible as far I can see. But like has been said, the difference are not any greater to me than two different units would be. I disagree that they are as close as they possibly could be.
You should check again, if that is the result you got. I did not get that result.

I'm also looking at these two side-by-side signals and I agree - they're not exactly the same. I took a high resolution screen shot of the entire clip as viewed in Soundforge, copied the second half (second example) and created an overlay as a semi-transparent image in a different color, and then aligned the overlay with the first example. They are indeed very close but there are slight differences. What little differences are present are so close that this would be like comparing two very well matched examples of the same rig.

Same here. I'm more surprised how similar than they are than different.

Me too.

I'm in the camp that heard them slightly different...

... But for you guys staring at the waveforms... Isn't that a exercise I'm futility? I'm under the impression that tubes, and the tubes the axe models is a slightly chaotic and random generator of sounds which would make the waveforms slightly different even if you record the same looped sound twice on the same rig...

I'm under the impression that tubes, and the tubes the axe models is a slightly chaotic and random generator of sounds which would make the waveforms slightly different even if you record the same looped sound twice on the same rig...

Interesting question. Staying inside the digital domain, is the Axe-Fx a 100% deterministic machine or not?

Anybody who thinks there's enough of a difference in these clips to click "yes" instead of "no" is fooling themselves. The clips are so close that if you weren't specifically told there was a difference, 99% of you wouldn't recognize any changes at all.

Bullshit. I can clearly hear a difference. I'm shocked at the number of people who can't.

It's interesting how many people prefer either the first or the second tone, when there were actually four tones posted. :)

I'm in the camp that heard them slightly different...

... But for you guys staring at the waveforms... Isn't that a exercise I'm futility? I'm under the impression that tubes, and the tubes the axe models is a slightly chaotic and random generator of sounds which would make the waveforms slightly different even if you record the same looped sound twice on the same rig...

Spectral analysis, not waveform

I do not think so. I bet if I made 2 axefx clips of the same recording, the would be exact.
if I did the same with a properly maintained tube amp direct (looped twice), I bet the results would be almost exact as well. I think you might be over estimating the randomness.

it is easy enough to test. Not that I have the inclination or time to do so.

Now, moving your head, distance from the speaker, air temperature, humidity, etc. can have a much larger difference in comparing tones than the slight difference in these waveforms.

Last edited:
Actually there were only two.
the second clip just reversed the order.
True. But what does it mean when someone says, "I prefer the first one," without qualifying that statement? Which were they referring to? Did they mean the first tone in the first clip, or the first tone in the second clip, or the first clip itself, or...?

True. But what does it mean when someone says, "I prefer the first one," without qualifying that statement? Which were they referring to? Did they mean the first tone in the first clip, or the first tone in the second clip, or the first clip itself, or...?
Agreed

Just my opinion, but I think some people can worry and "fret" and obsesses over trivial details instead of actually FRETTING their guitar. The sound is so close, TO ME the difference is trivial. Anyone who feels a sense of superiority who can hear the difference and believes one is CLEARLY superior to the other - I don't know what say. I don't care. Lol. I think ones time and attention can be better spent writing music or practicing guitar. Learning some new music.

I just don't know what there is to argue about. You hear a difference, you don't hear a difference. The difference you hear is significant or it isn't.

That's just me. Carry on.

Henry, you nailed it. So many people latch onto the idea that, out of billions of possible tones, there are only a few great ones.

Take your favorite recipe for, say, leg of lamb. The one that makes you drool every time you think about it. Prepare it with just a touch more (or less) of this herb or that herb. It'll still make you say, "That was awesome!" When you finish the plate.

I couldn't hear a difference on my computer monitors at work, but at home with some slightly better computer monitors and louder volume I think I can. The real amp has slightly less lower mids and sounds a little more open.

Edit - I'm sure the slight difference could be dialed out. And I agree, it doesn't matter.

The second clip sounded more clear to me... as if presence was added... I did like the _comp_reverse version better...it was less ice-picky sounding but i did sound more mid toned.

Back
Top Bottom