Do You Hear a Difference

Do You Hear a Difference

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Let's start all over again. Your most recent threads (I mean in the last day or two) have lacked most of the aspects that generally incline me to dismiss your posts. I would hope that, after carefully reading some of your past posts, that you would agree there is more of a hint of a tone that might turn people off. I find that you tend to jump to conclusions without due process. I welcome anyone's opinion or input, as long as it is framed in a manner that does not assume a foregone conclusion. Your last sentence, "You just can't change facts with opinions." would be my advice to you as well. In any event, my workload is starting to pickup at my day job, so I have less time to argue or debate. And at home, I'm going to spend the rest of my week playing my new guitars: A Rickenbacker 325c58, a Rickenbacker 325c64, and a Gretsch Country Gentleman. I've just put flatwounds on all of them. I don't think I'll be using the Triaxis model for a while. The Vox AC30 seems more appropriate. YEAH, YEAH, YEAH!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Playing FRFR only now since 2010, I don't give a fxxk about the Sound of "real" Amps. More than One Year ago I borrowed a JCM2000 incl. Cab from a good friend to tonematch it, and i stopped trying it after 15 minutes because I noticed, that I didn't like what I heard anymore.

Never had played another real Tube Amp since this day....but on the forthcoming Axe-Fest Germany From April 25th to 27th there will be some good and expensive "real" Amps that we will try to Match/compare....
We'll see.....

But like many other people here have already said before: you can't Even compare the Same amp of One Series with another
Amp.....they also will sound different. So, if you find an Amp that is doing the Job right for you and blows your mind right away, it wouldn't be wrong to Play/Love/use it instead of your Axe....

Ok, you may have real "finetuned" Ears, if you still see/hear room for improvement, but many (just like me) ....just don't.

And, to be honest, IMHO, for me almost all of your Metal-Riffage Clips sound the same to me. Dynamics....Air....come on, this highly compressed "chugga chugga" won't help anyone anymore.

You can record That stuff with every line6, but when it comes to Low Gain or clean Sounds.....there everyone can find Out the difference.
i think, you are hunting Phantoms at the moment, and I hope you don't misunderstand my words.....I'm not a member of the "clarkkentshallburninhell"-fraction......

Peace, Andy

I'm on a similar page to Andy. My ears get better as the Axe gets better, and vice versa. But I'm happy with it today, as is. I still look forward to improvement, but I'll never go back to real amps. They simply aren't practical, for live or studio use. I guess I could use a tube preamp and power amp into a realistic reactive load (or speaker isolation box), and run the signal into an IR (or even mic the isolated cab). But then again....no thanks. Pain in the ass with inconsistent results. I'll leave it to Cliff to keep researching, developing, and improving. Whatever fine differences I notice will be corrected in due course. Cliff's modeling epitomes are driven by his own genius. I've criticized the Axe quite a bit myself, perhaps too harshly (the great Output 2 filtering debate). But after purchasing the II, dialing up a plexi, and hitting a few power chords, I am happy. Simple as that. I am happy. That is no small accomplishment for a cynical, pessimistic bastard like me.

Sure. And I get why people question this and believe me that was my first reaction also. I don't want there to be any difference. I've been trying to get closer and closer to the real thing. I actually think I'll start a thread that allows everyone to participate in this so people actually see and hear what the differences are.

So I'm giving away some real amp signal and the IR that was used for that clip and everyone can give it a shot if they're interested. No more pointing fingers but collaboration and finding a solution.

I don't question that there is any difference between a modeler/IR and a real amp/speaker/mic setup. If I compared the two and found a difference, my approach might be "Hey guys, here is exactly what I did, and here are my results. What do you think? I don't think I have overlooked anything. I believe my method is sound and correct, so I'm interested in what conclusions can be drawn from the experience". No one could rightfully jump down your throat for that, and a meaningful discourse would follow. I also believe you'd be more likely to persuade some people to give your position greater consideration this way. Sometimes people WILL shoot the messenger, not because of the message, but because of the manner in which it is presented. And I can be a dick sometimes. My apologies for that.

Back
Top Bottom