Zappa Alert

I have a lot of different fuzzes that I use in different ways. I'll take some pictures soon and add them here on the forum with a little explanation about their use. In it's most basic form the rig is two discrete rigs in one. I have effects that go to individual signal paths and to the combined signal path as well. I like to use to different fuzzes at times on either side of the stereo field which allows for the note to bloom at different rates. When used with slight delay and modulation such as the dynaflanger it creates a very exciting stereo image and makes the guitar feel like to you're playing 2 guitars at once since the reaction time is different.

Love the new recording 10000% behind it to begin with and knew just knew the end result would produce gems
which it has. The settings I am still working with and trying to think how to make them work with one axe fx.
I was up all night long with the jtm 45 and different fuzz sounds outside now just floors me no spoilers but
WOW

Ive not even scratched the surface and Q 2.00 is out now. Cant keep up or hold on to a comet though it is nice to be in the trail..
I had a nice long road trip and listened to Via Zammata there and back great recording and I almost got another ticket "griping the wheel gripping the wheel hands on tight just to get the feel.. "
I sat in a parking lot of traffic just jamming my @$$ off without a care. Made the trip enjoyable Imagine traffic being no big thing ? Thats good music for the rat race in Texas.

Dweezil what do you think about Quantum ?
He asks knowingly

Hope to see and hear you in Texas .
Maybe bring out the alumni who played with Frank....
Such phenomenal talent in all of Franks bands and your band it would be great to see and hear.

I first saw Frank at Armadillo world headquarters oct 16 1980
Ike and Ray were with Frank I went to both shows and laughed so hard my face and ribs hurt for a month.
The owner who was leasing the Armadillo decided to tear it down and allow a bank to be built there instead so the following year Frank returned with Robert Martin this time and I saw that show at the erwin center .. So I got to see those bands live and I was so blown away by how fantastic everyone in both bands were and still are....

I would love to see the current band you have now play with the alumni players that played with Frank all those years.. I know they are still amazing.
For the fans and the sake of the music...

I think it would be amazing for the fans. Who better then the ones who Frank chose to play it ?
A peaceful wish from someone who has the utmost respect for this family.

I bow to how much you have accomplished already Dweezil I think you are amazing and
I cant wait to pledge again.

Much love and respect from Texas.....

Last edited:
Hey Tex, I found the name of the company makes one the fuzz-type boxes Dweezil has used: Lone Wolf Audio in San Marcos, TX, which make a pedal called the Outsider. Dweezil has a Systech Harmonic Energizer on his board, it's the one that looks like there is Klingon writing on it (LOL).

From website interview: "The Outsider is not only wild, but also incredibly versatile. Any plans in the future for more pedals like that? I know that Frank Zappa, who frequently used the pedal that the Outsider is modeled on, the Systech Harmonic Energizer, is a big influence on you, and he of course had an incredible palette of guitar tones.

Thanks, thats an effect I really think everyone should try and use. It’s so limitless. It’s no secret Frank Zappa is my favorite guitar player, and I try to take the same open minded limitless approach to making effects."

Hey Tex, I found the name of the company makes one the fuzz-type boxes Dweezil has used: Lone Wolf Audio in San Marcos, TX, which make a pedal called the Outsider. Dweezil has a Systech Harmonic Energizer on his board, it's the one that looks like there is Klingon writing on it (LOL).

From website interview: "The Outsider is not only wild, but also incredibly versatile. Any plans in the future for more pedals like that? I know that Frank Zappa, who frequently used the pedal that the Outsider is modeled on, the Systech Harmonic Energizer, is a big influence on you, and he of course had an incredible palette of guitar tones.

Thanks, thats an effect I really think everyone should try and use. It’s so limitless. It’s no secret Frank Zappa is my favorite guitar player, and I try to take the same open minded limitless approach to making effects."

Interesting I went to college in san marcos several times I was asked to leave though..
I helped design the frisbee golf course there one of my finer accomplishments as a fledgeling student.

The outsider sounds interesting..
I wonder if the systec harmonic enerizer does the discombobulator efx.
I found it looking if there were scenes within those patches
You play a note or bar chord and it does random whacky sounds..
The part during ROXY THE MOVIE where the girl comes up to dance with others on stage
you hear that discombubulator sound.

I might be wrong about which pedal is doing that but that effect is included..
I liked 3 different fuzzes and how you can mess with controller and root out specific tones
thats Tom Slick.

I have to move a bass head and I might snatch some new fuzz pedals
Gooch fuzz albert hall tops the short list.

Ill see if I can listen too the outsider...!
thanks for the tip...

Austin Buddy you know that tone Frank gets on city lights from the buffalo show ?
I found a way to do it with the pitch block its the nasty part during owner of a lonely heart
part with carlos santana secret chord progression as overall main theme...

I Saw that tour but several days before they recorded in Buffalo..
I think I use flanger and pitch and rukus to get that nasty part..
That solo makes me laugh out loud its well FRANK.

How does the albert hall sound say with single coils or humbucker's ?

If you feel so inclined please record it see how it compares to fuzz in axe...
Thats the one id have bought....

How does the albert hall sound say with single coils or humbucker's ?

If you feel so inclined please record it see how it compares to fuzz in axe...
Thats the one id have bought....
I will post a quick and dirty fuzz shootout soon...but the truth to my ears is the latest Quantum really improves the interaction of amp and drives, both modeled and physical..

backing my system up again internally and with fbot and I will download Q2.....
It will be awhile before I can purchase the albert hall so looking forward to hearing what you come up with..

I would love a chance to buy the presets from Via Zammata. There are so many interesting guitar sounds on the recording. It is one of those recordings I'll keep going back to for the rest of my life. To have those presets and the recording as a reference to how they sound in a great mix would be a valuable learning experience to explore.

I'd pay extra if the Bass guitar is also recorded via AxeFx...the bass is done just 'so right' on so many songs; Humming, Just the Way She Is, Nothing, Truth and of course Funky 15. Maybe a lot of that is the playing and the arrangement/mix but I think there is something to be said for the gear combination in those bass lines as well...at least I am clinging to that notion since it represents the only part of the recipe I can actually purchase and own ;)

Well done Mr. Zappa, you created a wonderful collection of music.

Whats the word how did things work out Austin buddy ?
wanting to hear that albert hall fuzz too I was looking forward to how you guys got things working..

Hi Tex, I have 128 of the DZ working fine in a bank that is mapped to work with me setup...lots of tone terrain...but I've been diverted into organizing banks of the Dumbles and replicating my old 6th Street Bogner Blue XTC rig of late, when I am not working (which is a lot these days)... how did that Royal Albert Hall fuzz work out for you?

Hi Tex, I have 128 of the DZ working fine in a bank that is mapped to work with me setup...lots of tone terrain...but I've been diverted into organizing banks of the Dumbles and replicating my old 6th Street Bogner Blue XTC rig of late, when I am not working (which is a lot these days)... how did that Royal Albert Hall fuzz work out for you?

I did not buy one yet have to wait on buying one no income currently and going through an estate which just never ends...

I was going to ask you how you liked yours maybe get some recordings ?
I used to play on 6th street with Van Wilks and Craig Nietfeld at Steamboat that was 250000 years ago now...

speaking of Dumble
I dont guess anyone has come up with a proper SSS schematic yet ?

I made one within the axe using the information I gleaned from the one I owned.
and recorded it dry for reference....

Ive been working the Carol ann and the Plexis here....

Would love to see what you came up with sometime...
Shoot me a Pm Austinbuddy.

I think they're called "two much fuzz" and made by Goochfx...but they are heavily modified. I think he has also used the Goochfx "Tubescreamer" in the past/maybe present
Hey folks -- just to fill in some gaps on the effects I made for DZ...

The "Two Much Fuzz" pedals are really just customized versions of two fuzz circuits I developed a few years ago. On one side is a modified Royal Albert (fuzz face type device) that is tailored to have a little less gain and more high end. On the other side is a modified Gilgamesh...which is sort of a cross between a Tonebender Mk II and a Fuzz Face...it's a gain monster but doesn't sound compressed like a Tonebender. Both side were outfitted with a "starve" control because DZ likes to get his fuzzes to have a gated sound -- and boy, he really knows how to dial it in correctly to work with the rest of his gear.

The only difference between the silver and gold models is that on the silver model, the Royal Albert circuit is a hybrid silicon/germanium fuzz...basically, I just put a silicon transistor in the place of one of the germanium ones, which gives a slightly buzzier tone (but VERY slightly so) and which makes the circuit almost completely temperature stable. The gold one has an all germanium Royal Albert, though I incorporate some additional components to make that circuit pretty temperature stable as well.

Yes, DZ does use my "tubescreamer" thingee, but it's not exactly a tubescreamer. It's called the Captain Kirk (first one was made for Keith Scott, whose nickname is "Kirk")...it's got much of the TS topography but uses green LEDs for clipping, has a different corner frequency for less "honk", and has a different op-amp that sounds far more natural, a little softer in a way, but handles the clipping beautifully. It also uses only metal-film resistors for a little lower noise. You really can't screw up a TS type overdrive, they all sound good.

Thanks for the comments on the Brave Ulysses...I **love** that circuit, it's probably my favorite of the OD's I've cooked up. I'm revamping the website and changing the product lineup over the next few months so some of those up on the site won't be regular offerings anymore, but I'll still be able to make them as special/custom requests.

With all good wishes,

Gooch (<--my nickname from high school, which has stuck with me despite my best efforts...)

....went back to www.pledgemusic.com to see if there was any further info about the @goochFX fuzzes that Dweezil sold there ...and got this.......

A winding up order was made against Pledgemusic.com Limited in the High Court of Justice on 31 July 2019.
As a result of the making of the order, the Official Receiver becomes liquidator of the company. Any enquiries should be forwarded to LondonB.OR@insolvency.gov.uk, quoting reference LQD5671373.

Sad..thought the concept was worthy ...more info here
https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/28/8933914/pledgemusic-music-crowdfunding-bankruptcy

View attachment 29460 View attachment 29461 View attachment 29462

Here is one of my Zappa-related high points...getting to sing background vocals with Zappa Plays Zappa as my good buddy and fellow Fractalite (although he played MY XL on stage that night ) Joe Guzzo shredded admirably with DZ on CosmiK Debris!!!! 9/24 Genesee Theater, Waukegan Il....
looking forward to the Via Zammata tour and how good he can make our new Pledge Presets sound.....
Very cool had to have been a real gas. :)

Sorry I know this is an old thread, I am a newbie to Fractal and my FM9 Turbo arrives tomorrow, I am very excited!
I have come to the Fractal Universe specifically because of wanting the Zappa tones that Dweezil has done such an amazing job of reverse engineering. I see there are a couple of Dweezil presets that come as standard with my unit, Ship Ahoy and DynamoFlanger, I am hoping there will be enough clues in the Dynamoflanger preset to help me explore those sounds. I have successfully ticked quite a few Zappa tonal effect boxes with specific analog and digital pedals over recent years (Subdecay Protius for ShipAhoy, Pi-Phase and other similar Biphase knock offs for Pink Napkins, Meris Polymoon with wah and dirt in stereo for the closest Dynaflanger I've gotten with pedals so far, there are still others I want to try, I have made some good patches for double MXR 117 Zappa-esque tones on my HX Stomp) But the Fractal world just seems the way to go and mixed with some of my analog drive pedals, the options and flexibility look amazing.
But it would seem I got to this specific Zappa presets party a little late.... I see some of these sounds are now presets but is there no way to buy them all at the moment? Maybe a new package designed for people with only one machine? Do people with one machine send effects out in two lines to two separate amps panned left and right for a lot of these tonal scapes? That my be an over simplified question, I am sensing a very steep learning curve ahead of me, I'll probably hide in the presets for a while before I start any creating.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Hey @Tompski , welcome to the club…..The current main obsessive Zappa tone chaser on here is @zappafranco , reading his posts may give you some hints…the original preset pack that Dweezil distributed is basically useless for current generation units..would be awesome if he shared some more of his newer ones, especially since he seems to have retired from the dad tribute band thing…(miss it a lot.)
Sorry I know this is an old thread, I am a newbie to Fractal and my FM9 Turbo arrives tomorrow, I am very excited!
I have come to the Fractal Universe specifically because of wanting the Zappa tones that Dweezil has done such an amazing job of reverse engineering. I see there are a couple of Dweezil presets that come as standard with my unit, Ship Ahoy and DynamoFlanger, I am hoping there will be enough clues in the Dynamoflanger preset to help me explore those sounds. I have successfully ticked quite a few Zappa tonal effect boxes with specific analog and digital pedals over recent years (Subdecay Protius for ShipAhoy, Pi-Phase and other similar Biphase knock offs for Pink Napkins, Meris Polymoon with wah and dirt in stereo for the closest Dynaflanger I've gotten with pedals so far, there are still others I want to try, I have made some good patches for double MXR 117 Zappa-esque tones on my HX Stomp) But the Fractal world just seems the way to go and mixed with some of my analog drive pedals, the options and flexibility look amazing.
But it would seem I got to this specific Zappa presets party a little late.... I see some of these sounds are now presets but is there no way to buy them all at the moment? Maybe a new package designed for people with only one machine? Do people with one machine send effects out in two lines to two separate amps panned left and right for a lot of these tonal scapes? That my be an over simplified question, I am sensing a very steep learning curve ahead of me, I'll probably hide in the presets for a while before I start any creating.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Ah ok, yes Zappafranko and I have chatted on the Gearpage.
Have you played with the Dynamoflanger preset in bank B?

Back
Top Bottom