Zappa Alert

So what's your point? I can go on any pro guitarist's website(s) and see their exact amp settings, pedals, etc. OR, I can simply dial stuff in myself... Basically he's selling his album for $10 or whatever and then the presets for a monetary gain of $190. If that's the case, then we should ALL be selling our presets instead of handing them out to each other. Apparently his albums are not selling for him to be selling PRESETS...I can see it being different if he were including actual gear used on the recordings, as that is something tangible...the presets are going to sound different to every single person, considering they are not going to have the exact same guitar, pickups, etc. Look at Spock's Beard...they have done crowd-funding and given actual gear, and Ryo has actually helped people with synth presets on the forums in the past...he did NOT charge for them. I LOL at anyone that is going to spend $200 on presets that they could just as easily come up with on their own.

Wow. Just wow. If you don't think they are worth it, don't buy em. I was never a big zappa fan but have enjoyed dweezil's rig tours. I admire his knowledge and dedication.

I also combine two axes and maybe Incan learn some tricks because I am thinking dweezil knows more about tone sculpting than I do.

I may wind up buying the presets to try and learn some techniques.

I may buy them to support a guy working hard to produce quality product and honoring his dad.

Maybe I will just buy them to piss you off as you seem to have a vested interest in how others spend their money.

I believe the pledge drive has ended this took place over a year and now the goals have been met..
I am not sure you can still buy them... again I tried to keep this topic going over the past year so all would know...
Did my best to do that....

Anything new regarding which pedals were or are being used ???

Last edited:
Well...took some time, but I've been through all 178 of them, saved into two XL banks. Normalized volume on all of the presets to -12db (or close enough) on my DAW fader. In a few that were stereo, depending on appropriateness, I'd bring into near-mono or reduce up the stereo spread from hard right/left, because those presets are part of a two-machine design (so another patch in another machine would be hitting the other pan side, big wide sounds!)...so maybe instead of one preset with a hard pan L at -20db and a hard pan right at -12db (much louder, but stereo spread produced), I'd move the pan/ balance controls to oppose at 180 degrees.

Had to carefully re-map pedals to work with the four expression pedals I use off an MFC, and to delete all "normal" volume/volume pedal blocks except for the new that produce special effects (Dynaflanger). If you aren't getting a sound, use Axe Edit and delete the preset volume block. Dweezil sometimes has two pedals side by side that he can control together as well as independently (Boss FV-500's I think). I also would indicate in each preset name (I'd rename after tweaking to say what exp pedals activate or wild cards, so i can tell by the name what's in play). Not a lot of wildcards found in these presets, mostly expression pedals/multiple controllers.

There are some patches clearly built for leads that you may feel not enough gain is there -- try your fuzzes in front of those, or add a fuzz block, start with Fuzz face or Pi Fuzz or Octavia and experiment.

I'm next going to organize the presets within banks to be a clearer and remove the A/B etc.: Dynaflange, Zappa Song Specific, Leads, Cleans, Special EFX, etc. just to make it easier to find certain sounds. This weekend we are getting a snow storm in DC so I may be able to get that done. There are some dyna-patches with a dual controller ADSR that you have to hit the strings HARD and it whacks the signal out of tune briefly, I'd like to tweak so that I can get it to do that with not hitting string so hard/figure that out.

Then I'll post maybe a list here for you guys of my own top 20 favorite Dweezil sounds in the bunch to check out...he has quite an imagination beyond building guitar sounds: in addition to the Cello, the Stars Wars and Whale noise presets are a lot of fun. And I totally dig the 60s' fuzz and the 3 Kinds of Fuzz (pedal controlled) -- that's just a killer nasty sound to me. I'm using a Roxy SG so I can get very close tonally to what his guitar is doing ( he also has a piezo built into his SG guitar he sometimes blends into the signal).

That's all for now, I hope everyone who was part of the pledge campaign that got them is really digging these. I'm a bit bummed his had move his local tour date here, was supposed to start Feb2 but now May 5, but still excited to see him play, a lot of the presets marked (TL) for Trini Lopez will likely be used for the upcoming shows from the new album via zammata'

Cheers!

Well...took some time, but I've been through all 178 of them, saved into two XL banks. Normalized volume on all of the presets to -12db (or close enough) on my DAW fader. In a few that were stereo, depending on appropriateness, I'd bring into near-mono or reduce up the stereo spread from hard right/left, because those presets are part of a two-machine design (so another patch in another machine would be hitting the other pan side, big wide sounds!)...so maybe instead of one preset with a hard pan L at -20db and a hard pan right at -12db (much louder, but stereo spread produced), I'd move the pan/ balance controls to oppose at 180 degrees.

Had to carefully re-map pedals to work with the four expression pedals I use off an MFC, and to delete all "normal" volume/volume pedal blocks except for the new that produce special effects (Dynaflanger). If you aren't getting a sound, use Axe Edit and delete the preset volume block. Dweezil sometimes has two pedals side by side that he can control together as well as independently (Boss FV-500's I think). I also would indicate in each preset name (I'd rename after tweaking to say what exp pedals activate or wild cards, so i can tell by the name what's in play). Not a lot of wildcards found in these presets, mostly expression pedals/multiple controllers.

There are some patches clearly built for leads that you may feel not enough gain is there -- try your fuzzes in front of those, or add a fuzz block, start with Fuzz face or Pi Fuzz or Octavia and experiment.

I'm next going to organize the presets within banks to be a clearer and remove the A/B etc.: Dynaflange, Zappa Song Specific, Leads, Cleans, Special EFX, etc. just to make it easier to find certain sounds. This weekend we are getting a snow storm in DC so I may be able to get that done. There are some dyna-patches with a dual controller ADSR that you have to hit the strings HARD and it whacks the signal out of tune briefly, I'd like to tweak so that I can get it to do that with not hitting string so hard/figure that out.

Then I'll post maybe a list here for you guys of my own top 20 favorite Dweezil sounds in the bunch to check out...he has quite an imagination beyond building guitar sounds: in addition to the Cello, the Stars Wars and Whale noise presets are a lot of fun. And I totally dig the 60s' fuzz and the 3 Kinds of Fuzz (pedal controlled) -- that's just a killer nasty sound to me. I'm using a Roxy SG so I can get very close tonally to what his guitar is doing ( he also has a piezo built into his SG guitar he sometimes blends into the signal).

That's all for now, I hope everyone who was part of the pledge campaign that got them is really digging these. I'm a bit bummed his had move his local tour date here, was supposed to start Feb2 but now May 5, but still excited to see him play, a lot of the presets marked (TL) for Trini Lopez will likely be used for the upcoming shows from the new album via zammata'

Cheers!
Sucky news about the tour dates........I see that the Chicago date is gone completely....Bummer. Do we know why?

Cheers!

Thanks I did not want to delete a volume block and have it wreck something.
I do have 4 controllers one fractal silver and 3 m audio controllers ext 2 is wah ext 3 lfo controller
currently using only 3 of those...

I will look forward too your input on these I had a short job come up and that took most of my time all week and energy so
I am getting where I can mess with these some I have most loaded into bank B so when you post the 20 up
I can get in and start messing with those,,,,

**My volume is defaulted to ext 1 wah is 2 lfo 3 and 4 is not hooked up..
3 and 4 m audio controllers I have also have the switch built in but Its not hooked up currently either 3 or 4.

I note it appears Dweezils first two controllers must handle volume 1 and 2 for axe a and b.

I was able to get sound but ext 2 in my case right now has the spring so if you move foot off its off.
Might have to move that too another location in my main setup. Its for wah normally I think Dweezil
must have dedicated wah... not controller type.

Looking forward to what you come up with AustinBuddy
zappa@startmail.com is my email if you could send me a line
or here and I will get after looking at those...

I need to remap things where this would work for me an I might just
re route my controllers too work around this..
one silver fractal controller 3 m audio controllers 2 of those have switches one is spring loaded for wah..

It appears to me I might should re think how I have my controllers set and adjust those accordingly
have to re read this thread cause I am off awhile from cat 5 cable dogging and have minute to do this..

I appreciate everyones input here regarding this it helps me to figure things out.
I appreciate the input..

thank you

Cheers!

@Austin Buddy I put F500 in ext 2 to get things working
Question on Zoot Clean I note delay is on controller 1 and volume is on 4
I wonder if thats mixed up or is that whats called a wild card ?

Im curious why 1 and 2 control volume on most all else but in this patch its 4 controlling volume 1 delay...

I am getting sounds now that the 4 controllers are hooked up ...

and yes indeed here we are....
Happened to remember I had the boss controller so swapped the spring loaded one out and
I was able to get things going...

Very very nice sounds... Huge and vast...
I think since I had just started setting up q 1.06 and redoing all settings that
I can re design things to work around 4 controllers kicking the spring loaded controller off
the board allows the cocked wah sound as the f500 stays put.
To be Frank. I kinda like it better that way sometimes the m audio controllers want to fall forward and not stay put.

Miles to go before I sleep....

Tex, yes those are two of the fuzzes he used last year on tour, AND there are two fuzz sounds in each pedal and you can cascade them... I know from talking to the sister of the builder, who i met at a New Jersey ZPZ gig, that they are made by her brother in San Antonio or New Braunfels -- but I can't for the life of me remember the name of them... and no photos I have show resolution good enough to read the names on the pedals...

BTW, if you Google "Dweezil Zappa fuzz pedals" several different kinds come up...Here are just some, he on a constant search for the best fuzz tones and changes constantly...

TWA Systech Harmonic Energizer Prototype - not exactly a fuzz but if you heard it, you'd know it: very Frank

Paul Trombetta (Custom Made) 4 Fuzz Cey-Zo

Tarkin (Custom Made 2 channel Fuzz)

Heavy Acoustics FUZZ pedal

"Dont tell me goochfuzz is made in Texas Im in Texas...."

Too much fuzz pedals are gold and silver to the right near POG
I think those are GOOCH.
thought they were on west coast though.

I need two jobs now..
Will work for the right Fuzz pedals and an occasional bite to eat..

I am getting used too the settings the outside now patch and zoot clean are great beyond words so are the Hendrix and cello patches
worth every penny and Quantum so glad he waited to install and optimize too Q 1.06 Id imagine he is quite pleased with how fantastic this sounds...

Oh yea getting things down now the 3different fuzz patch IS CUTTING THE MUSTARD !
also the fuzzphrase patches are very good.. even with humbuckers which is floating my ship....

its going to be a long night indeed.
Going through every patch every possible page in axe edit
to screen cap so I can study those there are some interesting routing ideas and
of course efx block ideas id have never thought of so those are interesting to study and
see whats going on.

Im digging what I hear and see alot..
the further I get the more im able to make things work for me...

Very good indeed this was so well worth every cent to learn from and enjoy
glad I had that boss 500 controller sitting about that I am putting to use now.

Excellent !

Q 1.06 sounds just superb of course....

Tex, I just mapped everything to my own rig preset by preset to make it all work rather than try to replicate his rig's design.

If you see controllers 9-12 for example, those aren't usually foot pedals/expression pedals, but wildcard IA assignments. If you have four expression pedals you can pretty much cover. As you note, Dweezil uses two machines, so Exp1 for BOTH machines would be volume pedal.

I tend to use exp 2 for anything that controls the speed of something, exp 3 for wahs, filters, or pitch changes, and exp 4 as a catch all for anything else, delay volumes, wildcard things, etc.

I also -- and this helps a lot for presets where you will blocks are present but not turned on in Scene 1 -- use an IA switch for Scene 1/2 switching. You will find having that option is useful for those situations where the initial presets has blocks off. DynaFlanger presents can be like that, a volume block panned hard on side and other side a variable ms delay block panned other direction, blocks in parallel, both initially off -- you just hit Scene 2 to turn them both on, and your get the big spread and one side de-tuned.

I have lots of fav presets already coming out of this! Finding it matters, using the Strat for the ST presets and my Roxy SG for the SG ones.

Treacherous, Dweezilflazer,plexi-octavia, spanish castle, LeDynaGato,Orange/Trouble Fuzz, 3 kinds Fuzz, 60's fuzz, bothTweed template, Plexi JTM Dry stereo, FWAK, Pojama, Whale Calls, BlkPage Cello, the Jimi and EVH sounds, the Incas Roads or Grand Wazoo, and I could go on and on, the cleans from FZ 77 just like a mixing board.... You can tell what a genius he is, and he often does not use the editor!

Tex, I just mapped everything to my own rig preset by preset to make it all work rather than try to replicate his rig's design.

If you see controllers 9-12 for example, those aren't usually foot pedals/expression pedals, but wildcard IA assignments. If you have four expression pedals you can pretty much cover. As you note, Dweezil uses two machines, so Exp1 for BOTH machines would be volume pedal.

I tend to use exp 2 for anything that controls the speed of something, exp 3 for wahs, filters, or pitch changes, and exp 4 as a catch all for anything else, delay volumes, wildcard things, etc.

I also -- and this helps a lot for presets where you will blocks are present but not turned on in Scene 1 -- use an IA switch for Scene 1/2 switching. You will find having that option is useful for those situations where the initial presets has blocks off. DynaFlanger presents can be like that, a volume block panned hard on side and other side a variable ms delay block panned other direction, blocks in parallel, both initially off -- you just hit Scene 2 to turn them both on, and your get the big spread and one side de-tuned.

I have lots of fav presets already coming out of this! Finding it matters, using the Strat for the ST presets and my Roxy SG for the SG ones.

Treacherous, Dweezilflazer,plexi-octavia, spanish castle, LeDynaGato,Orange/Trouble Fuzz, 3 kinds Fuzz, 60's fuzz, bothTweed template, Plexi JTM Dry stereo, FWAK, Pojama, Whale Calls, BlkPage Cello, the Jimi and EVH sounds, the Incas Roads or Grand Wazoo, and I could go on and on, the cleans from FZ 77 just like a mixing board.... You can tell what a genius he is, and he often does not use the editor!

I hooked all 4 controllers up and for some reason #4 is not working..
is it possible that is turned off internally inside mfc 101 or something ?

I will switch cables and controllers and see if #4 I used the pedal Id used before for wah so it should work now and its not.
Thats just #4 controller though..

I Will follow suit and try those you just mentioned and get those going... I went through watchtower and thats so spot on its spooky
It helps to know the tune and it works perfectly.. I think I loaded all 3 cellos in a row to go through those but got caught up in the
jtm 45 ..

Im using an at 100 ibanez with paf in bridge and rails in neck and middle those are stock.
I liked that guitar so much I bought two to keep one tuned for songs that call for that tuning....
I find the sg and st patches work fine with the rail paf setup. I have a strat with abigail ybarras
so Ill break that out I never play it much but just to hear the single coil patches...

Must have missed the whale calls patch... Im curious is there a jtm 100 and a 45 ? I thought Frank owned both
I saw a black flag plexi in the studio footage so im curious if he has both and if they are included Im not seeing the 100
maybe its stereo dry....

The Jtm is just the best 45 ive ever heard or played through its sick..
I got off into Jeff Beck cause it reminded me of that and wound up dialing in a better Jeff Beck patch
with the 45..

So chewy and tasty ....It breaks up wonderfully but its still clean and glassy.
Point me too the jtm 100 im not seeing it...

Tex, I don't know that Dweezil uses exp 4, but I do, and just mapped to that. Your MFC should work with exp 4, just make sure to calibrate all the pedals you use with the MFC. In MFC edit mode, If you see the numbers moving as you calibrate (see manual) then at least you know if the MFC 'sees' the pedal. Else it might be a cable issue.

My approach was wort of "make your system controllers control what his system controllers did, but your way for your rig." For example, I use my Volume Exp1 at the INPUT of the amp/beginning of the chain, not later towards the OUTPUT of a preset (post-amp) like DZ does. So I had to remove most (but not all) volume blocks in the 178 presets to make it work for me.

Mine (not DZs)
Exp1 - volume, volume swells
Exp2 - anything to do with the speed of something, fast or slow -- rotary, phaser, univibe, tremolo, pan sweep...but sometimes for DZ preset delay volume, or a ring modulator
Exp 3 - wah primarily, or filter, but if wah/filter not on, then whammy or pitch. If you have to control both was and pitch separately, then I assign pitch to exp 4
Exp 4 - drive level, delay volumes, "wildcard" catchall.

IA for Scene 1/2 -- really important with these, because you'll find some presets have blocks that are OFF, in Scene 2 there will be all ON and you get different sound. You need this capability for most dynaflanger sounds to work properly. Also, you can control the OUTPUT volume block (where he pans things, like a mixer, check it out by preset) to be louder for Scene 2 than Scene 1 that way. Good for lead volume boost for example via Scene Change, without using a volume block boost or similar.

You have to look carefully at the effects blocks in DZ presets to see where he may have controllers set up. A good and faster way is to click the controllers tab in Axe Edit to bring top controllers page, then look any modifiers (bottom button) - it will list all being used and what they are mapped to.

Dweezil brilliantly often maps a single pedal to do 2-3 things at a time. For example, Exp3 may turn on or off a filter, and simultaneously control both the freq. sweep and the Q of the filter block.

On the JTM45 -- YES, it's in my top 3 fav amps in the Axe FX! This is the Jimi amp from the London days, it LOVES a good Strat unlike a lot of Marshalls. It is highly responsive/sensitive to gain input. Can go from clean to gritty to overdrive to screaming just by varying the input drive OR the input trim. Really responds well to drive pedals like FET and Face Fuzz. The Malcom/Angus Young amp too. For classic rock stuff to me, that amp can't be beat! I like it better than the Super Lead 59 model, but that is also great. There is no JTM100 model in the Axe Fx that I know of. The JTM45 works great with BOTH humbuckers and Strats for classic British rock pre-1970. Has a lot of bottom to it. I know Dweezil also likes/uses that amp model a lot, along with the Bassman.

On the JTM45 -- YES, it's in my top 3 fav amps in the Axe FX! This is the Jimi amp from the London days, it LOVES a good Strat unlike a lot of Marshalls. It is highly responsive/sensitive to gain input. Can go from clean to gritty to overdrive to screaming just by varying the input drive OR the input trim. Really responds well to drive pedals like FET and Face Fuzz. The Malcom/Angus Young amp too. For classic rock stuff to me, that amp can't be beat! I like it better than the Super Lead 59 model, but that is also great. There is no JTM100 model in the Axe Fx that I know of. The JTM45 works great with BOTH humbuckers and Strats for classic British rock pre-1970. Has a lot of bottom to it. I know Dweezil also likes/uses that amp model a lot, along with the Bassman.

And what do you think of the Dirty Shirley, a JTM clone? I like it a lot. I;'m even using it for my clean tone ATM.

Yek - i just haven't played much with the Dirty Shirley model yet, but noted from your amazing Amp Wiki that it was based on a JTM. I'm such a vintage guy, when I find what I like, I sort of stop looking and obsess on the the chosen amp's nuances! I will say the Diezel VH4 blue also amazes me -- just download the amp settings manual and created 20 presets from that, it is quite a versatile amp tonally.

Wow. Just wow. If you don't think they are worth it, don't buy em. I was never a big zappa fan but have enjoyed dweezil's rig tours. I admire his knowledge and dedication.

I also combine two axes and maybe Incan learn some tricks because I am thinking dweezil knows more about tone sculpting than I do.

I may wind up buying the presets to try and learn some techniques.

I may buy them to support a guy working hard to produce quality product and honoring his dad.

Maybe I will just buy them to piss you off as you seem to have a vested interest in how others spend their money.

Hi Guys,
Thought I would make a comment here real quick. For edification purposes... Pledge campaigns are designed to create awareness for projects in various ways. They can entirely fund a project, help fund projects or accomplish things in between. Records are expensive to make and yet people out there in the world expect to get records for free. If the cost of a Maserati is the same as the cost of making my record do I get to go to the owner of a Maserati who downloaded my record for free and ask for his keys and the title to his car for a fair swap? That is unlikely to happen.

Anyway my point is that music is a great art form that has been stripped of its value because there are too many people who believe it should just be free or that they are entitled to it just because they like it. Pledge is a unique web portal that attracts people who believe in the value of music and supporting those who make it. It gives the individuals who are inclined to support musicians/artists they like, an opportunity to be involved with a project in a unique way from the ground up. This opportunity didn't exist years ago but imagine if it did? What if you could've be a fly on the wall at a Jimi Hendrix session or Beatles session or even a Frank Zappa session during the 60's? Pledge offers the opportunity to allow supporters to be involved in an artist's workflow from the day the record begins and to that extent it also allows opportunities to create special incentivized artist packages. In the case of the Fractal presets on my Pledge campaign the price value of the presets was determined by the idea of purchasing a single boutique pedal or taking a private guitar lesson with me. Most Fractal owners make purchases of boutique pedals and other gear in order to enjoy making more detailed and exciting tones and more music. This opportunity was created to be equivalent to that.

My presets were made available for enjoyment and for creative purposes. If that was appealing to people then they had the option to purchase it. That all helps to make a successful Pledge campaign. FYI, If I made a single pedal that offered as many modulation effects, amp tones, parameter controls etc, it would have a huge amount of R&D and would require a hefty price tag in order to bring the product to the market. Axe Effects aren't cheap. Would one expect to just get that pedal for free just because they play guitar? My presets were made by me from the ground up for use on tour and in the studio. A lot of time went into making them.

In any case, I am grateful for people's support for my new album "Via Zammata'" I could not have made the record without their help. The Fractal Preset gang who supported the project are all a big part of the record in my book. I hope you are all enjoying the presets. I'm curious to know which ones are people's favorites. Thanks again everyone.

P.S. & FYI the Via Zammata' campaign is over but if there are folks who are still interested in the preset package, (I've noticed a few people on this forum and on Pledge asking about them) I could possibly see if that item could be made available again via Pledge. Just need some data in order to make some determinations.

Last edited:
He's been mainly using the Royal Albert Fuzz and the JHS Polinator Fuzz
I have a lot of different fuzzes that I use in different ways. I'll take some pictures soon and add them here on the forum with a little explanation about their use. In it's most basic form the rig is two discrete rigs in one. I have effects that go to individual signal paths and to the combined signal path as well. I like to use to different fuzzes at times on either side of the stereo field which allows for the note to bloom at different rates. When used with slight delay and modulation such as the dynaflanger it creates a very exciting stereo image and makes the guitar feel like to you're playing 2 guitars at once since the reaction time is different.

Back
Top Bottom