Zappa Alert

Tex Axe

Experienced
I just checked Dweezils Pledge site and he released the following just now...
hope its ok to post this here..

Hi Everyone,
I will be able to post the Fractal Files after my rehearsal today. Doing the last bit of programming for the tour so it will be later in the evening PST time that I post the files.

FYI, I plan to export the presets as individual files so it will be easier to audition single presets for all users instead of full bank files since most people already have their own banks filled with things they like.

Also of note: I use a lot of external effects to finish sounds so there will be presets that are simply the foundation for sounds. So you may encounter a few preset titles and expect to hear something different but you'll have to keep in mind that these are for specific use within my guitar rig which as I mentioned uses additional external devices as well as 4 expression pedals. Some presets may need to be altered by you guys to select the right expression pedal external control that will work with your own rig in order to get the full benefit of the preset.

There are definitely a few special presets in there that include the "Dynaflanger" sound ala "Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar" among other cool things.

Hope you enjoy the sounds!

Dweezil is the best- class act and amazing player. Saw him on "Chopped" last week- he came in 2nd- sorry Dweezil - I thought you were better than Kelly Hanson !!!
Would love to check out his axe patches though - huge Zappa fan...

Follow up the Bundle is done and they tried loading to Pledge and are awaiting the issue to be resolved.

I asked about the pedals used on the recording of Via Zammata and perhaps some insight to how they were used
and Dweezil is about to tour that recording so he mentioned another video and I thought a rig rundown video and maybe behind the scenes Rockumentary would be fun just some live tour band footage.. Why not film and archive things like Frank Did ? Expenses would be the answer to that but have the band take the behind the scenes and pass the camera duties around.

Go pro cams and a rig run down get the band to film behind the scenes and live footage and make a rockumentary to show what its like to drive state to state and tour.

Alternate the cameras and dump footage to compile on the bus while you are stuck to seat 38 on fido 3,
compile an awesome rockumentary use down time to charge and switch cameras
stick one on front window of tour bus and alternate that so its constantly getting some filler shots..

That could be town to town segue footage and the scenery would be cool daytime driving and arrival
soundcheck and each show....

Bus cam jam cams crowd cams behind the scenes cam
rig rundown with brief but detailed description of what pedals are used and
demo what they are used for playing excerpts of the tune they are used on.
That would be archiving what was used for tour and showing what pedals were used..
This was just recorded last year some of those pedals might have come out last year
I just listened too Truth great sound on that song would like to know about how to get it....

since its 2016 and new Tour Rig Rundown would promote whats being used currently
go pro cams would be somewhat affordable to take to film the road trip and behind the scenes stuff
and might be fun..

Like you are not busy enough but thinking if your driving those tour dates in a bus and city to city then
there would be time to edit and dump footage and film parts of the trip even passing a camera or two around
that would be different.

cheap thrills so to speak..

I just checked Dweezils Pledge site and he released the following just now...
hope its ok to post this here..

Hi Everyone,
I will be able to post the Fractal Files after my rehearsal today. Doing the last bit of programming for the tour so it will be later in the evening PST time that I post the files.

FYI, I plan to export the presets as individual files so it will be easier to audition single presets for all users instead of full bank files since most people already have their own banks filled with things they like.

Also of note: I use a lot of external effects to finish sounds so there will be presets that are simply the foundation for sounds. So you may encounter a few preset titles and expect to hear something different but you'll have to keep in mind that these are for specific use within my guitar rig which as I mentioned uses additional external devices as well as 4 expression pedals. Some presets may need to be altered by you guys to select the right expression pedal external control that will work with your own rig in order to get the full benefit of the preset.

There are definitely a few special presets in there that include the "Dynaflanger" sound ala "Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar" among other cool things.

Hope you enjoy the sounds!

Is he using an XL or Mark II? How can I get a hold of these presets?

Last edited:
Dweezil posted some images of his current pedal board so I added the names of the pedals best I can identify them
anything with ?? ?? next to it I cant yet Identify but perhaps Dweezle can chime in on the ones I missed.

@Carl the very reason I invested in the patches and Dweezil's pledge page... To support his record and get to experiment with the Dyna flanger/s...

Those are so hard to find anywhere for sale.....
Ike Willis told me he has not seen one in 20 years...
RARE

Here is what I can SPY so far on his current pedal board...
I think the external add on left of mfc 101 controls midi efx in the rack
via external switches.

Im speculating there...

For those interested I am sure you can still pledge and get the patches..

pledgemusic.com/project/ Dweezil Zappa something like that
Check that site out and locate the store..

I think they are currently working out the upload of those settings 300 patches
but I think you can still pledge...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 12.38.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 12.38.28 AM.png
    607.1 KB · Views: 123
Is he using an XL or Mark II? How can I get a hold of these presets?

Currently he is using 2 axe fx IIs and he just updated from 20 too Q 1.06.
So those who are able to catch the current tour this year will now be hearing the Q 1.06 sounds.

Also pledgemusic.com/Dweezilzappa.com you can check that website and locate the store under Dweezils pledge and the pledge goes towards the current new recording which has just been released you can also buy that download at the pledge website.

It was worth every cent and there is some really great guitar sounds on this recording not to mention all the musicians are REAL GOOD.

So you still have time to pledge get the record downloaded and then download the fractal presets.
Considering the amount of time and years of experience put into this from Frank on through Dweezil's current rig just think how long this family has been recording stellar music...

Frank recorded the Roxy in 73.. for those who have not seen that go buy Frank Zappa Roxy the Movie
its a mind blowing example of amazing musicians preforming really difficult music live.
I just got that recording and ive watched that Dvd 15 times at least already its just so well done and astonishing musicianship.

I believe the Frank sounds start at the Roxy and go on through 77 and beyond...
including some rare efx which I personally have been searching for the past 10 years and
have not been able to locate even one much less two of..

Since one can transfer axe fx II over too XL I think all is good.
Check the pledge website for details on the recording download and the presets
from Franks vaults...

IMG_0115.jpg

Here is Dweezil's pedalboard as of Late September....don't know if he has made further mods for the Via Zammata solo tour.....

oops..didnt see the earlier post with current pic.

A54R0760.jpg A54R0725.jpg A54R0833.jpg

Here is one of my Zappa-related high points...getting to sing background vocals with Zappa Plays Zappa as my good buddy and fellow Fractalite (although he played MY XL on stage that night ) Joe Guzzo shredded admirably with DZ on CosmiK Debris!!!! 9/24 Genesee Theater, Waukegan Il....
looking forward to the Via Zammata tour and how good he can make our new Pledge Presets sound.....

For those who do get the presets, Dweezil and I did change some of the Cab IRs to factory cabs so that the essence of the sound would be there. As you know, we can't share IRs made from other sources (Redwirez, Ownhammer, FAS etc). We put the factory cab equivalent in place of those IRs

If you do own those IRs feel free to replace the cab IR in those presets with the IRs you've purchased from FAS, Redwirez and/or OH. The speaker and cabinet is equivalent. (I.e. Marshall cabinet with Greenbacks, pop in something from Cab Pack 20 or a Redwirez equivalent).

View attachment 29460 View attachment 29461 View attachment 29462

Here is one of my Zappa-related high points...getting to sing background vocals with Zappa Plays Zappa as my good buddy and fellow Fractalite (although he played MY XL on stage that night ) Joe Guzzo shredded admirably with DZ on CosmiK Debris!!!! 9/24 Genesee Theater, Waukegan Il....
looking forward to the Via Zammata tour and how good he can make our new Pledge Presets sound.....

Go Joe Guzzo Go!

Tell brother Guzzo hi for me Brad!

For those who do get the presets, Dweezil and I did change some of the Cab IRs to factory cabs so that the essence of the sound would be there. As you know, we can't share IRs made from other sources (Redwirez, Ownhammer, FAS etc). We put the factory cab equivalent in place of those IRs

If you do own those IRs feel free to replace the cab IR in those presets with the IRs you've purchased from FAS, Redwirez and/or OH. The speaker and cabinet is equivalent. (I.e. Marshall cabinet with Greenbacks, pop in something from Cab Pack 20 or a Redwirez equivalent).

You guys did a GREAT job, going through them now! Fine work Rosh!

@ Rosh can you let us know how the controllers are to be setup..

I note volume is on ext 2 ect...
some patches I dont get any sound at all even with ext 2 controller on.

I need a map or clue as to how Dweezil has his controllers setup.

Outside now sounds really nice...
Zoot sounds good Im sure my controllers are not set the same..

I note if you get no sound its because the cab slots are empty.
also make sure if you have 2 or 3 controllers that controller 1 or 2 is down that seems to be volume.

I will wait to see how this was setup I think we need a map or diagram to see whats what.
Ie how controllers and ext switches are set.

Which cabs go with which amps things like that and which fuzz for which song..
Which fuzz pedals or boost are to be used with which patch would be helpful as well..

So we can kinda get a clue how to run the patches and what pedals will be needed to complete them or make them work fully ie fuzz patches with no fuzz ect..

So users can make these work best for them.

I am hearing some great sounds but need some details ie speakers which fuzz or boost pedals were used per song...

Last edited:
Tex, if you have volume pedal as Exp1 right now, in most instances you can just delete the volume block, and you'll get sound and no change to preset intent.

There are a few presets that have a volume block PANNED in parallel with a Delay, don't delete those. Those should be set up with either Scenes to turn on/off together, or Wildcard IAs on the output (use something like external 11, 12) -- the dynaflanger sounds are a good example of this.

There are still some presets with User Cabs that if your are empty won't sound. I'll see if i can get a list of what Dweezil used for those, commercial IR libraries or his own Cab mixes mostly.

Lots of great stuff in here, it's like Christmas came again!

Back
Top Bottom