Zappa Alert

Enjoy your presets guys (those that could afford to pay $200+ for AxeFx II sysex presets)
Many of them won't translate well to others setups due to fact of the way Dweezil Zappa uses an elaborate customized setup.
I was really just interested in his Violin preset but c'est la vie.

Tex, if you have volume pedal as Exp1 right now, in most instances you can just delete the volume block, and you'll get sound and no change to preset intent.

There are a few presets that have a volume block PANNED in parallel with a Delay, don't delete those. Those should be set up with either Scenes to turn on/off together, or Wildcard IAs on the output (use something like external 11, 12) -- the dynaflanger sounds are a good example of this.

There are still some presets with User Cabs that if your are empty won't sound. I'll see if i can get a list of what Dweezil used for those, commercial IR libraries or his own Cab mixes mostly.

Lots of great stuff in here, it's like Christmas came again!

Let me add: just check the Volume block carefully. If It's straight linear with control on Exp1 (0 to 10) on a single line it's usually ok to delete it. There are a few presets whether he sets a taper in volume pot so it is part of the sound control.

@ Rosh can you let us know how the controllers are to be setup..

I note volume is on ext 2 ect...
some patches I dont get any sound at all even with ext 2 controller on.

I need a map or clue as to how Dweezil has his controllers setup.

Outside now sounds really nice...
Zoot sounds good Im sure my controllers are not set the same..

I note if you get no sound its because the cab slots are empty.
also make sure if you have 2 or 3 controllers that controller 1 or 2 is down that seems to be volume.

I will wait to see how this was setup I think we need a map or diagram to see whats what.
Ie how controllers and ext switches are set.

Which cabs go with which amps things like that and which fuzz for which song..
Which fuzz pedals or boost are to be used with which patch would be helpful as well..

So we can kinda get a clue how to run the patches and what pedals will be needed to complete them or make them work fully ie fuzz patches with no fuzz ect..

So users can make these work best for them.

I am hearing some great sounds but need some details ie speakers which fuzz or boost pedals were used per song...

Without giving away all his secrets :)

One of the tricky things with the controllers is some of the preset bundle are from his 2nd fractal. What gives Dweezil such a great depth to his sound (other than his fantastic playing ability) is the blending of two different presets from two AxeFxs run simultaneously. So, what you may hear from one preset is only half the story. For example, use one of the stereo Vox presets blended with one of "Fz" presets that don't have any amp blocks in them. Or a try a Marshall preset blended with a Vox preset or any combination. Basically some sounds would be 4 amps blended together.

Stuff with external 2 as a volume or "B" in the preset name were presets from AxeFx "B" that were blended with AxeFx "A". External 3&4 are preset specific but usually manipulate something in the preset. Pull up the controller menu in axe edit and go to the bottom to see what function they're assigned to.

Many presets were redundant on both "A" and "B" AxeFxs with the only change being which volume pedal was tied to the volume block and therefore not included. Other presets, as you've guessed, use outboard fuzz pedals. You can see the labels on his MFC (pedals stored in a drawer) as well as pedals in front of the AxeFx.

He can use the fuzz pedal in front of Fractal "A", "B" or both depending on the song. As well as having fuzz "#1" go into AxeFx "A" and fuzz "#2" go into fractal "B" and then blending the sound between both fractals, one, or the other. Mono, stereo, left only, right only or any combination of the above. A ton of options and sounds at his disposal. He likes being spontaneous with what sound can go where and what preset is pulled up and combining them with specific pedals to generate one combined tone.

Buddy and I are sifting through everything to get everyone up to speed on how to use these presets. They sound amazing in person. Hopefully that helps :)

Last edited:
Tex, if you have volume pedal as Exp1 right now, in most instances you can just delete the volume block, and you'll get sound and no change to preset intent.

There are a few presets that have a volume block PANNED in parallel with a Delay, don't delete those. Those should be set up with either Scenes to turn on/off together, or Wildcard IAs on the output (use something like external 11, 12) -- the dynaflanger sounds are a good example of this.

There are still some presets with User Cabs that if your are empty won't sound. I'll see if i can get a list of what Dweezil used for those, commercial IR libraries or his own Cab mixes mostly.

Lots of great stuff in here, it's like Christmas came again!

I think my volume is default ext 2 is my wah and ext 3 is lfo controller
so Im looking at things...

As it is now for my setup wah is ext 2 so its acting like a volume...

Might have to rebuild them to work for my system..

Without giving away all his secrets :)

One of the tricky things with the controllers is some of the preset bundle are from his 2nd fractal. What gives Dweezil such a great depth to his sound (other than his fantastic playing ability) is the blending of two different presets from two AxeFxs run simultaneously. So, what you may hear from one preset is only half the story.

For example using one of the stereo Vox presets blended with one of "Fz" presets that don't have any amp blocks in them. Or a Marshall preset blended with a Vox preset or any combination. Basically some sounds would be 4 amps blended together.

Stuff with external 2 as a volume or "B" in the preset name were presets from AxeFx "B" that were blended with AxeFx "A"

External 3&4 are preset specific but usually manipulate something in the preset. Pull up the controller menu in axe edit and go to the bottom to see what function they're assigned to.

Many presets were redundant on both "A" and "B" AxeFxs with the only change being which volume pedal was tied to the volume block and therefore not included.

Other presets, as you've guessed, use outboard fuzz pedals. You can see the labels on his MFC (pedals stored in a drawer) as well as pedals in front of the AxeFx.

He can use the fuzz pedal in front of Fractal "A", "B" or both depending on the song. As well as having fuzz "#1" go into AxeFx "A" and fuzz "#2" go into fractal "B" and then blending the sound between both fractals, one, or the other. Mono, stereo, left only, right only or any combination of the above.

A ton of options and sounds at his disposal. He likes being spontaneous with what sound can go where and what preset is pulled up and combining them with specific pedals to generate one combined tone.

Buddy and I are sifting through everything to get everyone up to speed on how to use these presets. They sound amazing in person. Hopefully that helps :)

Thanks I have just one axe II at the moment and as far as the external pedals go those will be something
Ill have to track down and acquire ..

I tried to list those pedals on the footboard for those reasons to help map things out..
I figure Dweezil is double busy these days so trying to meet half way...

I was wondering how one would be able to route things with one Axe fx.
Perhaps some of those pedals will make it into Fractals Wish list...

Just so you guys know. In Axe-Edit, click on the 'Controllers' button, Then click on the 'Modifiers' button to see a complete list of modifiers used in that preset. From there you can click on anything in the list and go straight to that 'Edit Modifier' window. :cool:

Thanks I have just one axe II at the moment and as far as the external pedals go those will be something
Ill have to track down and acquire ..

I tried to list those pedals on the footboard for those reasons to help map things out..
I figure Dweezil is double busy these days so trying to meet half way...

I was wondering how one would be able to route things with one Axe fx.
Perhaps some of those pedals will make it into Fractals Wish list...

There's a preset called "FZ 4 channel" that I personally feel gives a ton of insight into Dweezil's thought process to get his sounds.

Start trying to replace the amp blocks in there with amp blocks from other presets and you can have an approximation of how he combines his presets to make his sounds. That would be the "1 AxeFx approach" to get some of his sounds.

If you record with one preset and take a DI or dry recording re-amped through another preset and combine the tracks that would be another approach to hearing how each layer adds to the overall tone. Basically, he's layering sometimes up to 8 individual guitar sounds to make one combined sound; A studio approach brought to a live stage.

With one AxeFx you can do 4 sounds and still sound great. Don't be afraid to copy blocks from one preset to the others and build a "super preset" from those combinations and you'd be surprised in the results. That's why you'll find some presets surprisingly "simple" in routing. They're usually combined with something else.

Last edited:
There's a preset called "FZ 4 channel" that I personally feel gives a ton of insight into Dweezil's thought process to get his sounds.

Start trying to replace the amp blocks in there with amp blocks from other presets and you can have an approximation of how he combines his presets to make his sounds.

That would be the "1 AxeFx approach" to get some of his sounds.

If you record with one preset and take a DI or dry recording re-amped through another preset and combine the tracks that would be another approach to hearing how each layer adds to the overall tone.

Basically, he's layering sometimes up to 8 individual guitar sounds to make one combined sound; A studio approach brought to a live stage.

With one AxeFx you can do 4 sounds and still sound great. Don't be afraid to copy blocks from one preset to the others and build a "super preset" from those combinations and you'd be surprised in the results. That's why you'll find some presets surprisingly "simple" in routing. They're usually combined with something else.

Will do I am taking notes and re reading this thread and responses so I can make a go of it..
I think I need a full nights sleep and a clear head first...

Pretty complex

FYI:
The Cello presets (all presets with cabs pointing to slot 52) seem to use the Cello and the Acoustic Guitar body IRs.
All Vox presets seem to point to user cabs.
The routing in some of the "EVH" presets is broken (missing shunts/blocks), but he's going fix that.

I was able to hear the cello patches very nice....!!
surprised that I was able to bend and it still tracked !

Im a zombie tonight but I managed to fill most of bank B up
With a clear head I will go back to see whats controlling what
also to try and figure which cabs were used with which amps...

I own the own hammer bundle and am current with 1.06
so should be able to find some things to work that are close...

Rome was not built in a day...

Hmmm
Learn much you will yes....

These aren't turn-key presets, they require a little work. If you know what you're doing, it's more than worth it.
There's marvelous stereo modulated stuff in there among others, and very creative delays and verbs.

As I wrote on PledgeMusic: these presets seem to be tuned to playing through FRFR amplification at gig level.
Not a lot of bass, not a lot of treble. Works for me.

This sounds like a cool party but atm I can't afford the tickets. Keep posting!

I barely could myself something sold and I was able to invest..
Money is tight times are hard so here is your Fking Christmas card

This was a my present to myself last year so its finally here.
Broke today thats for certain..

Hope and Change you know ?

I pledged Dweezil's album a few months ago and really want to pledge/purchase the Fractal presets, but the option to purchase is gone (?)...all you get is a 'View Details' link with no option to buy. Anyone else having this problem?

I pledged Dweezil's album a few months ago and really want to pledge/purchase the Fractal presets, but the option to purchase is gone (?)...all you get is a 'View Details' link with no option to buy. Anyone else having this problem?

I think pledging is possible only before the product is delivered.

I guess I didn't understand the process very well. Total heartbreak...Ugh...I guess I missed the boat. I just want to give Dweezil $200 so I can learn from his mastery of the Fractal. Big bummer.

I guess I didn't understand the process very well. Total heartbreak...Ugh...I guess I missed the boat. I just want to give Dweezil $200 so I can learn from his mastery of the Fractal. Big bummer.
Ah that sucks. I was gonna drop the cash since everyone seems to be loving the presets. Maybe he'll sell them of there's enough interest.

As Rosh says, Dweezil uses two Mark II AXE FX machines, an A and a B, combined. The machine the preset is from is indicated in the preset name.

Just a few more tips... probably take me all week to carefully run through the 178 or so presets...

1. Levels will vary, so if you are tweaking them to your system, you may want to run them through a DAW or Board and try to keep levels around -12db or less (keep some headroom). As Rosh points out, Dweezil will use a variety of fuzz, overdrive or boost type pedals in front of some of the "lead" presets. So feel free to drop a drive block in if enough CPU and experiment.

On some, you find the sound panned hard left or right...it may be done in the blocks, OR in the output section, so don't omit checking that out. The output section is a good place to either add db or remove db to level your tweaked Dweezil presets, rather than fool with the block amp or cab or other volumes.

2. Check the volume pedal blocks carefully before you delete. Most are Exp 1 but B machines may sometimes be Exp 2. If it's a straight 0 to 10 volume block (probably Log20A) is what he likes) you can delete it from the preset. I use 4 pedals with my MFC, one is dedicated volume going into the amp (not full output) myself, which leaves me 3 pedals to assign as I like. If you only have one Exp pedal you ay have to buy another one or two for some of these presets! If the volume pedal is panned hard to one side or it has a modifier attached that is Not default, you may want to leave those values alone and reassign pedal as needed.

3. Set up an IA on your MFC to switch between Scene 1 and Scene 2. On most of the dynaflanger style presets, you can hit it for Scene 2 and it will turn on the volume block panned and the delay panned the other way (off in Scene 1 by default), which helps create the great stereo spread effect of the dynaflanger.

4. In going through the presets, I found the following presets still have a "User Cab" assigned. Rosh helped me figure out what MOST of these are. Cut and paste this list onto a piece of paper and keep beside you as you go through presets, when you find a User cab you'll know what factory cabs to try (or commercial IRs)...

Note on some of the presets for B machine, it's a BLEND with another machine, so it's panned and set to provide contrast (see Rosh's post above) to

USER CAB #, DZ Name (in B) Factory cab , or Other

UC03 JimiGreenbacks (Try a Greenback. The original one is from early RedWirez 4X12 G12M20s, its a Mix)

UC21 OH-MarshCab4X12 AlincoBlue Studio Vintage

UC26 OH-MarshCab4X12 HR-BB-55 Studio Vintage

UC28 OH-MarshCab4X12 HR-RI-55 Studio Vintage

UC46 Rosh says use EVH TM1 provided.... (As alternative, just try the Santiago 2X12 Altec F097 for fun; that's what the B Machine may have had)

UC47 EVH TM2

UC 50-53 -- These are mostly Vox Amps, Rosh recommends Cab Pack 18 ML Class-A SM57-M160 01 and/or SM567-R121...(you can also try Factory 138 Vox 2x12 Blues Mix, or the Santiago Altec F097 for fun)

For Preset 67 60s' Fuzz A I'm pretty sure the first Cab (before amp) is the "Exoplex" (sic, - is the Echoplex preamp) Cab should go there, but not 100%. Use your ears.

For Preset 149 User Cab, Rosh says use the Factory cab Pre-Rola Greenbacks (ML Labs), either 55's or 75s to your taste.

Can I tell you how stoked I was to see my Bludotone 1x12 "Buddy's Boutique" Cab Pack 17 IR being used in some of these presets? made my day!

I'll keep posting more user tips as I work through these.

I'm excited to see Dweezil's upcoming tour, check it out, he launches the tour here at the Birchmere in Alexandria Virginia on Feb. 2 and will be playing a lot of his own music this time, including things from his new album "via zammata'" and stuff going back to the 80's (he said he was planning an 80s' medley so that should be hilarious...I once got to see him do a shredding solo on the Hall & Oates song "Man-eater" with John Oates in Montana in 2014 and it was freakin' great fun.

Yes thanks for tips and clues on the speakers used..

I am going to hold off until this is all ironed out. It appears the controllers must all be adjusted to what my system is
setup for so Im just going to hold off and wait when things are cleared up I will go start adjusting things...

I filled most of B bank up so I just stopped and will go at things when they are cleared up..
There is alot of work to be done just to make them work on my system so I just decided to wait..

Let things get ironed out and then go at it.

I dont have the fuzz sounds to put with this the fuzz included in the axe are not the same pedals as he uses so
that will just have to go on the back burner till I can find out which is what.

I do have 4 controllers but things are not set the same..
Quite a bit of footwork to do yet still and it appears I have quite a few pedals to search out to make this go.

Cant happen right now so Ill just shelf that till I can make it work..

Maybe the fuzz pedals will make their way into the wish list ?
That would a be great help.

Yes -- Dweezil uses all kinds of fuzz pedals. Boutique pedal makers send him fuzzes he tries out. He swaps them out all the time, so I can't be sure. He has a few that simulate the 9V battery dying/sag, I think that one is made in San Antonio and is two germanium fuzzes in one.

I'd try a Fuzz Face drive block as first choice, or a Pi Fuzz drive block, in Axe FX just to start, and play with it until you like the sound. But we'll get pedal board shots here when he goes on tour in February.

Back
Top Bottom