You guys are in for another treat.

Not that I understand any more of that than what the words mean in non-technical English, but I wouldn't think voice coil temperature would change much until the speaker was running hard for a fair while.

Is the implication that tone will change over time as you play, if you're playing loud virtually? I'm not sure I'd want that. Consistency is kind of a good thing sometimes.

Or is this all angel farts to throw other manufacturers off course? ;)
The temperature of the voice coil will rise in the longer term with steady application of high power (if power is applied faster than the heat that it generates can be dissipated), but the wave peaks will cause short-duration temperature peaks, likely at double the low-frequency note (gotta force that cone both forward and back to complete the cycle) that look rather like ripple on rectified AC in a poorly-filtered DC voltage supply.

The temperature of the voice coil will rise in the longer term with steady application of high power (if power is applied faster than the heat that it generates can be dissipated), but the wave peaks will cause short-duration temperature peaks, likely at double the low-frequency note (gotta force that cone both forward and back to complete the cycle) that look rather like ripple on rectified AC in a poorly-filtered DC voltage supply.
That's the easy part. The hard part is what does this do to the sound?

tenor.gif

So audiophile terms like "tube warmth", "3D soundstage", and "realism" etc. aren't complete BS?? 🤯

Nope. Not BS at all.

Is it the actual interaction with the speakers that is the magic?

I suspect it is the inductive/magnetic coupling via the output transformer that provides the current-supply-like action, as that magnetic field will try to deliver its stored energy in order to return to its rest state.

If the impedance is higher, it will, to an extent (limited by physical factors such as primary and secondary winding resistance, inter-winding and inter-turn capacitance, and alternative current paths), deliver that stored energy somewhere. If the impedance is too high, the voltage may overcome the transformer's insulation hi-potential limits and cause catastrophic failure, or, if you are lucky, it will arc somewhere outside the transformer. Some builders use spark gaps or reverse-biased diodes to provide a path for the energy to arc that is at a lower voltage than the windings' insulation hi-pot rating, to try to protect the expensive part by sacrificing a cheaper one when someone forgets to hook the speaker up and cranks the amp up, wondering why it is more or less silent.

This tendency to increase the voltage to try to deliver all the power is a characteristic of ideal current supplies, but is limited in real-world devices. Ideal voltage supplies deliver a voltage regardless of current drawn, but in the real world, tend to only be able to deliver a certain amount of current before dropping below rated voltage and/or frying something (hopefully a fuse) from the power overage....

The best thing about this? The Quad Cortex squad is literally panicking in fear and some are having insane buyers remorse now that the hype is dying down and Cliff is delivering both Cygnus and whatever this is..

Me? I'm just patiently waiting for Cygnus to be ported to the FM3 so I can cream myself over the Matchless and Morgan AC20.

That's the easy part. The hard part is what does this do to the sound?
That is your "Ancient Chinese Secret". ;)

I was simply describing that the temperature had longer-term and shorter-term changes, to give Dave a bit more insight into some of the details of what is happening, as he seemed to already grok that temperature changed over time.

That is your "Ancient Chinese Secret". ;)

I was simply describing that the temperature had longer-term and shorter-term changes, to give Dave a bit more insight into some of the details of what is happening, as he seemed to already grok that temperature changed over time.
It was a rhetorical question.

Silly question - will this change be audible, or just measurable? And I'm not talking about the golden-eared few who have preserved their hearing, but the majority who have high frequency hearing loss due to numerous causes - age, too many loud gigs, occupational noise, whatever?

Me? I haven't heard the "Sssss" sound in decades, thanks to my army days then my muso days - and now my age! So will I be able to hear it, or will I just have the HF cutoff applied to my hearing by my own ears and not hear any difference at all? My audiogram is absolutely normal - up to 2.2KHz. At 2.3KHz it is -120dB. So, a brick wall hearing deficit. And I suspect that there are many on this forum with similar...

question - will this change be audible, or just measurable? And I'm not talking about the golden-eared few who have preserved their hearing, but the majority who have high frequency hearing loss due to numerous causes - age, too many loud gigs, occupational noise, whatever?

Me? I haven't heard the "Sssss" sound in decades, thanks to my army days then my muso days - and now my age! So will I be able to hear it, or will I just have the HF cutoff applied to my hearing by my own ears and not hear any difference at all? My audiogram is absolutely normal - up to 2.2KHz. At 2.3KHz it is -120dB. So, a brick wall hearing deficit. And I suspect that there are many on this forum with similar...

Hearing is a physical process. Listening is a mental process.

—Bob Heil

Reactions: jon
Cripes, by the time I get my Axe FX III problem figured out or subsequently fixed, the thing is going to sound completely different. Which, seeing as it sounds completely different than it's supposed to currently (in a bad way), these improvements are going to be pretty flooring.

Back
Top Bottom