You guys are in for another treat.

Goes on my list of famous quotes of the 2020's "Cygnus did further dimensionalize the amps". EPic. That one quote right there may be the one that causes me to spring from II to III.
I've never played through a II, but I want for nothing else with the III. With the new speaker compression algorithm it's even further real. Just completely and totally amp in the room to me. Unbelievable.

Cliff, can you tell us a bit about what turning up the speaker dynamics knob does? My mainstay amp is the Euro Red Modern. As it is known to be a sort of "slow" and "squishy" lead sound, I was surprised to see that Speaker Dynamics defaults to a 1 in this model in Cygnus.

@FractalAudio

Cliff, would you consider a way to get speaker compression going for clean amps or low gain amp settings?

[Dumb spit-balling ... perhaps some kind of dial-able virtual speaker current multiplier/offset or effective headroom/gain offset that activates compression at lower gains in the compression algorithm, not global.]

Last edited:
@FractalAudio

[Dumb spit-balling ... perhaps some kind of dial-able virtual speaker current multiplier/offset or effective headroom/gain offset that activates compression at lower gains.]

giphy-downsized.gif

Just finished coding it. Sounds much better than the old algorithm. I put in a switch in the debug build to switch between the new and old algorithms and it's noticeably better.

What I realized with this epiphany is that tube amps are better for HiFi as well. I'm not a HiFi person but now I know why HiFi people prefer tube amps. They probably don't understand why it sounds better, they just know it sounds better.

This leads to a potential improvement for solid-state HiFi amplification: Current-mode Class-D. If you could make a Class-D amplifier that works in current mode instead of voltage mode you would get the same benefits as a tube amp for HiFi applications.
Geeeee Cliff, I was really hoping for Behringer V-Amp models for Fw16, here.

Back
Top Bottom