IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
Man, I didn't realize these things were dynamic in the sense that they change from model to model, so it really does come down to Cliff. Thanks you guys for the insight.
Yeah, it may look like an EQ curve, and may have a somewhat similar effect, kinda, but it actually is what it says on the tin, an impedance curve, which interacts with the amp block to produce EQ and other effects dynamically. Yay Fractal.

It’s a difference in IR length. The longer IR will give you more of the natural space the cab was captured in. The shorter an IR is, the more room decay is trimmed from the tail. 200ms is enough to get a good sense of the cab though.
Just to be clear, that "sense of space" isn't long like reverb, it's more just the character of the room. Guitar IRs aren't long enough to support actual reverb, that's not the intent.

It’s a difference in IR length. The longer IR will give you more of the natural space the cab was captured in. The shorter an IR is, the more room decay is trimmed from the tail. 200ms is enough to get a good sense of the cab though.
Thanks!! So in short...i should just go with 200ms. Btw other than mix 01 and mix 02...which is commonly what i reach for in each york audio pack! Are there any other mix you commonly go to especially with the mesa/marshall cab packs? Happy Holidays btw

I play primarily progressive metal
Below are some sounds for reference..been chasing these tones for the past 2 years.. maybe one day I'll just have to accept that it's all in the fingers and not the gear. Hopefully with the right IR, it will put me maybe 1% closer------>

Cycling back to this..if anybody can make any suggestions..would be appreciated. Would like to pick up some ir packs during this weeks sale. Thank you.

Cycling back to this..if anybody can make any suggestions..would be appreciated. Would like to pick up some ir packs during this weeks sale. Thank you.
For the clips above it’s a bit more challenging because it’s
All leads , have you listened to the sound clips on YA page he has clips of them all
Some suggestions
The DV77, Freidman , Marshall MV30

Thanks!! So in short...i should just go with 200ms. Btw other than mix 01 and mix 02...which is commonly what i reach for in each york audio pack! Are there any other mix you commonly go to especially with the mesa/marshall cab packs? Happy Holidays btw

I think mix 1 and 2 are usually the same combination of microphones but not necessarily in the same position, but some of the later mixes vary vastly between packs. So if you list the specific packs you're looking at (there are multiple mesa and marshall packs) people might have preferred mixes in those packs.

But ultimately, use your ears. Set up a looper which loops a guitar riff and amp you like, then switch between cabs and see what sounds good. If you put the looper before the amp you can switch through cabs then tweak amp settings and see what works for you.

Loading 500ms IRs into the Fractal automatically trims them down to around 180ms or so unless you’re using FullRes, which is mainly meant for longer Room IRs.

As far as Mixes go, just try them and experiment to see what YOU like. Load any Mix and dial in your amp to sound good with that IR. A lot of metal guys like Mix 04 in the MES 412 OS-V2 pack, so try dialing in your amp to that one and see how you feel.

The Mixes are different in each pack, so there isn’t a universal “Mix X uses mics Y + Z in positions A and B” in a copy/paste formula. I have mic combinations I like, but the mix recipes are different from pack to pack.

I think mix 1 and 2 are usually the same combination of microphones but not necessarily in the same position, but some of the later mixes vary vastly between packs. So if you list the specific packs you're looking at (there are multiple mesa and marshall packs) people might have preferred mixes in those packs.

But ultimately, use your ears. Set up a looper which loops a guitar riff and amp you like, then switch between cabs and see what sounds good. If you put the looper before the amp you can switch through cabs then tweak amp settings and see what works for you.
You’re absolutely correct with sage advice. :) Mix 01 and 02 are typically 57+121 Mixes with different placements and different mic levels. After that, I just make Mixes that sound good with different guitars and amps so there’s a wide range of tonal character across all the Mixes.

Using a Looper at the front of your chain is such a great tool for dialing in a tone.

Just to be clear, that "sense of space" isn't long like reverb, it's more just the character of the room. Guitar IRs aren't long enough to support actual reverb, that's not the intent.
You’re correct that a close-mic IR doesn’t have a long decay tail, but it still captures the vibe of the room a cabinet is in; the same way a cabinet is heard and recorded in a studio’s iso room. A real cabinet mic’d up and recorded will have that room baked into the sound and can’t be removed. An IR can be trimmed to remove the room, but naturally recorded cabinets used in the music we listen to all contain this hint of natural ambience that gives a tone some depth. One of the “it sounds digital” artifacts I hear is when an IR is too short and removes that natural glue we hear and feel when using the real thing. The shorter IR can sound sterile in comparison.

However, Room mic IRs are basically like natural reverb that need to be longer in order to capture the time it takes for sound to reach a distant mic as well as including the full decay time of the room (FullRes is needed for this).

All that to say, the intent of an IR (IMHO) should be accurately capturing a cabinet and mic placement in its environment so there is no difference between hearing the real thing vs the IR. If people want to remove natural elements by using minimum phase and shortening IRs, that’s a matter of personal preference and taste. There’s no wrong way to get a good tone if it works for the player. :)

Finally bought the Marshall MV30 and it lives up to the hype, and then some!

Question though, because I thought it had been mentioned in here before but I can’t find it now.

Is the SIC recommendation now the 1960BV or are the 4x12 Citrus or Brit TV per the manual still the recommendation?

Question though, because I thought it had been mentioned in here before but I can’t find it now.

Is the SIC recommendation now the 1960BV or are the 4x12 Citrus or Brit TV per the manual still the recommendation?

Finally got round to getting this pack myself and completely agree. If you look in the manual, Justin recommends/suggests the 4x12 basketweave.

Thank you for picking up the pack and for the kind words! Cliff added the 1960bv SIC after I released that pack. That curve was taken from my cab, so try it and see how it feels to you. :)

Thank you for picking up the pack and for the kind words! Cliff added the 1960bv SIC after I released that pack. That curve was taken from my cab, so try it and see how it feels to you. :)

This is awesome info! I had no idea any of the Fractal speaker impedance curve were actually measured by other companies! Are there others that are taken from your measurements?

This is awesome info! I had no idea any of the Fractal speaker impedance curve were actually measured by other companies! Are there others that are taken from your measurements?
Fractal measures most of them, but there are a couple third party contributors as well. Here are some curves that came from my cabs:

2x12 Recto
2x12 Godzilla
2x12 Class-A Greenback
2x12 Two Stone 1265
4x12 1960BV
4x12 Euro

I sent Cliff a Tweed Deluxe measurement awhile back, but I don't know if that one is included or not.

Fractal measures most of them, but there are a couple third party contributors as well. Here are some curves that came from my cabs:

2x12 Recto
2x12 Godzilla
2x12 Class-A Greenback
2x12 Two Stone 1265
4x12 1960BV
4x12 Euro

I sent Cliff a Tweed Deluxe measurement awhile back, but I don't know if that one is included or not.

Dude, awesome awesome awesome. This is the knowledge we need for maximum accuracy! Thanks for confirming!

I've bought the Mesa OS 4x12 v2, the KW 4x12 and i have the $1 Mesa 2x12. I play in a modern metal band using 7 string guitars and also at church on Sunday. I'm not sure what voodoo magic he used but still my favorite overall IR's(i've ever tried) are Mix 01 and Mix 03 from the Mesa 2x12 pack. For clean to mean they just do it all. I'm not sure how this cab even sounds this good. I have a mesa 2x12 I play through and his mixes blow away my cab. Is this cab a special version or unicorn?? Somehow the Mesa 2x12 has a nice fullness and 'woodiness' to it. It has a nice full lowend and a great smooth highend sizzle. It feels illegal to prefer a 2x12 to all the 4x12 IR's i've tried over the years. Maybe its the magic of the SIC being his exact cab and working with it perfectly, idk.

Back
Top Bottom