IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
just played this out today on bass. the fullness in the low mids is stunning!! of course it's not as present below 80hz as a bass cab would be but honestly that was not an issue because it sits perfectly in the mix. the voicing is both clear and full bodied; i hear my note choices and articulation come through my monitor powerfully.

Justin, thank you so much once again for all the work and hardware investment that made this possible. this library will be on the first shelf of my toolbox for a long time 💙
That’s awesome to hear! Thanks for sharing your experience. I can’t stop playing that cab either.

which cabs do you prefer for those Brownface Fenders they often came with 2x10 or so.
If you’re looking for a 2x10, the closest thing I have would be the VLUX 210 P10R pack. I’ve never played a Brownface before, so I don’t know how close it would be to one of those.

I definitely didn't need another IR pack, but treated myself on a day off. With a ton of mixes and single captures, there is plenty of variety here. But as a general vibe, I'd say the KW set has a more low-mid "punch" and less high end "sizzle" than the Friedman M25 and the MRSH M25 sets. I had to decrease my usual high cuts a good bit. It sounds fantastic.

I would recommend this as the go-to pack for Marshall style tones (with no need to pick up other IR sets).

Hey, Justin! Quick question.. I noticed your IRs are all 500 ms if I'm not mistaken. If I wanted to save on a little CPU if I needed it, would setting the IR Length in the Cab Block to "512" sound literally the same as the "MAX" setting, only with the added benefit of more CPU?

EDIT: Never mind. I just realized that that's referring to samples and not milliseconds, so the MAX setting would be ideal to get the whole capture. My Bad :)

I definitely didn't need another IR pack, but treated myself on a day off. With a ton of mixes and single captures, there is plenty of variety here. But as a general vibe, I'd say the KW set has a more low-mid "punch" and less high end "sizzle" than the Friedman M25 and the MRSH M25 sets. I had to decrease my usual high cuts a good bit. It sounds fantastic.

I would recommend this as the go-to pack for Marshall style tones (with no need to pick up other IR sets).
Thanks for the great review! I’m glad to hear you’re liking that pack so much! It’s definitely my go-to for Marshally amps as well, but I like it with a lot of non-Marshally amps as well.

Hey, Justin! Quick question.. I noticed your IRs are all 500 ms if I'm not mistaken. If I wanted to save on a little CPU if I needed it, would setting the IR Length in the Cab Block to "512" sound literally the same as the "MAX" setting, only with the added benefit of more CPU?

EDIT: Never mind. I just realized that that's referring to samples and not milliseconds, so the MAX setting would be ideal to get the whole capture. My Bad :)
Using MAX (UltraRes) reads 180ms of the IR. I highly recommend keeping it on MAX, but try a shorter length and see if it makes a big enough difference to you. You may hear a difference in the low end, but it may not be a big enough difference ti keep it on MAX. Just gotta try it and see. :)

Thanks for the great review! I’m glad to hear you’re liking that pack so much! It’s definitely my go-to for Marshally amps as well, but I like it with a lot of non-Marshally amps as well.

Using MAX (UltraRes) reads 180ms of the IR. I highly recommend keeping it on MAX, but try a shorter length and see if it makes a big enough difference to you. You may hear a difference in the low end, but it may not be a big enough difference ti keep it on MAX. Just gotta try it and see. :)
Got ya! Thanks for the reply on that! I wasn't sure how long the Axe Fx reads the IRs, so that's good to know! I'll definitely keep it on MAX. Thanks, Justin!

Metal folks, here's a question. I'm currently using MES 412 OS V2 for main guitar tracks and am looking for a different cab for supporting guitar tracks (have the 5153, MRSH 412 M25, and MES 412 Trad: they may work).

I am considering buying the YORK 212 D77. Question: how well does the D77 mesh/mix with V30s for metal tones? Thanks for any tips you may have.

Hey, Justin! I hope I’m not derailing the thread by asking; if so I apologize and will try not to do it in the future, but I wanted to ask about your thoughts on the Thornbucker II in regards to clean tones. How do you find the Thornbucker II sounds with clean amps and clean tones since the pickup is a little hotter than the Thornbucker +?

Metal folks, here's a question. I'm currently using MES 412 OS V2 for main guitar tracks and am looking for a different cab for supporting guitar tracks (have the 5153, MRSH 412 M25, and MES 412 Trad: they may work).

I am considering buying the YORK 212 D77. Question: how well does the D77 mesh/mix with V30s for metal tones? Thanks for any tips you may have.
The DV77 pack is great for metal. The 2x12 cabs gives it a tighter focus while also being able to sound big and meaty if you want. I think that cab pairs really well with V30s.

Hey, Justin! I hope I’m not derailing the thread by asking; if so I apologize and will try not to do it in the future, but I wanted to ask about your thoughts on the Thornbucker II in regards to clean tones. How do you find the Thornbucker II sounds with clean amps and clean tones since the pickup is a little hotter than the Thornbucker +?
The higher output from the Thornbucker II definitely makes it warmer, and the Alnico II gives it more midrange than the Thornbucker+. I think I prefer the clarity and balance the Thornbucker+ has for my tastes. I just ordered two more Thornbucker+ pickups to replace the Thornbucker II bridge pickups I have in a couple guitars.

It’s still a great pickup for players who like a warmer tone though.

The higher output from the Thornbucker II definitely makes it warmer, and the Alnico II gives it more midrange than the Thornbucker+. I think I prefer the clarity and balance the Thornbucker+ has for my tastes. I just ordered two more Thornbucker+ pickups to replace the Thornbucker II bridge pickups I have in a couple guitars.

It’s still a great pickup for players who like a warmer tone though.
Got ya! Thanks for the reply! So, not to derail more—I hope I’m not—I use your IRs exclusively, so I wanted to get your take on what you just said since it seems you really dig the Thornbucker +.
A while back, I had wondered about getting more Thornbucker +’s for my guitars just because I think they’re fantastic pickups, but wondered if having the same pickup in multiple guitars would make them less different than one another. I already have a regular Thornbucker in my SG and did some rhythm tracks for a song with the DC30 and Tone of King model and your Matchless IRs and it sounds fantastic. I also have the Thornbucker + in my HSS build, but I haven’t been able to test the two out yet to see how similar they may or may not sound. When I track guitars for people, I almost make an orchestra of guitars so to speak haha but that means different guitars, different amp models, different cab models/mixes etc per part so things mix themselves essentially. So all that to say, how do you find having the same Thornbucker + in multiple guitars in regards to sonic redundancy, if that makes sense?

(Right now, I have a set of Friedman Classic +/Classic humbuckers in my Tele build, but originally wanted to do Thornbucker + and Thornbucker neck, but was wondering if my guitars would start sounding too similar, so I went with the Friedmans, which are cool! But playing the Thornbuckers is just awesome haha).

Thoughts? Sorry for the long winded post, and I really appreciate your experience and expertise on all of this, as I always like learning about how to improve the craft the Lord gave me. ❤️

Got ya! Thanks for the reply! So, not to derail more—I hope I’m not—I use your IRs exclusively, so I wanted to get your take on what you just said since it seems you really dig the Thornbucker +.
A while back, I had wondered about getting more Thornbucker +’s for my guitars just because I think they’re fantastic pickups, but wondered if having the same pickup in multiple guitars would make them less different than one another. I already have a regular Thornbucker in my SG and did some rhythm tracks for a song with the DC30 and Tone of King model and your Matchless IRs and it sounds fantastic. I also have the Thornbucker + in my HSS build, but I haven’t been able to test the two out yet to see how similar they may or may not sound. When I track guitars for people, I almost make an orchestra of guitars so to speak haha but that means different guitars, different amp models, different cab models/mixes etc per part so things mix themselves essentially. So all that to say, how do you find having the same Thornbucker + in multiple guitars in regards to sonic redundancy, if that makes sense?

(Right now, I have a set of Friedman Classic +/Classic humbuckers in my Tele build, but originally wanted to do Thornbucker + and Thornbucker neck, but was wondering if my guitars would start sounding too similar, so I went with the Friedmans, which are cool! But playing the Thornbuckers is just awesome haha).

Thoughts? Sorry for the long winded post, and I really appreciate your experience and expertise on all of this, as I always like learning about how to improve the craft the Lord gave me. ❤️
That’s a good question, and I’m sure everyone would have their own opinion on the matter. The pickup plays a big role in how the guitar translates, but so does the guitar itself. Having the same pickup in a couple guitars will give them consistency on some level, but the two guitars will still have their differences. Also, the way you have your pickups adjusted can give you a lot of variation. I’m putting the Thornbucker+ in two Les Pauls, but will probably set them up differently with a “hotter one” having the pole pieces raised and the pickup jacked up pretty high and a “cooler one” with the height a bit lower.

Sometimes it’s just about wanting to play a certain guitar. If I know Pickup X sounds good in Guitar A, then I’ll try Pickup X in Guitar B because I wanna play Guitar B and already know I like the tonal profile of Pickup X… if that makes sense. For instance, I know I can’t stand a Gibson 500T, so having that in a guitar just for variety’s sake is a good way to make sure I’ll never pick up that guitar. If I put a Thornbucker+ in it, I know I’m going to love the basic tonality of it and it’ll still sound different than my other Les Pauls simply because none of them are identical.

Luckily, pickup swaps are a relatively inexpensive way to explore tonal options for guitars you love. You just gotta try some stuff to see what works for you. :)

That’s a good question, and I’m sure everyone would have their own opinion on the matter. The pickup plays a big role in how the guitar translates, but so does the guitar itself. Having the same pickup in a couple guitars will give them consistency on some level, but the two guitars will still have their differences. Also, the way you have your pickups adjusted can give you a lot of variation. I’m putting the Thornbucker+ in two Les Pauls, but will probably set them up differently with a “hotter one” having the pole pieces raised and the pickup jacked up pretty high and a “cooler one” with the height a bit lower.

Sometimes it’s just about wanting to play a certain guitar. If I know Pickup X sounds good in Guitar A, then I’ll try Pickup X in Guitar B because I wanna play Guitar B and already know I like the tonal profile of Pickup X… if that makes sense. For instance, I know I can’t stand a Gibson 500T, so having that in a guitar just for variety’s sake is a good way to make sure I’ll never pick up that guitar. If I put a Thornbucker+ in it, I know I’m going to love the basic tonality of it and it’ll still sound different than my other Les Pauls simply because none of them are identical.

Luckily, pickup swaps are a relatively inexpensive way to explore tonal options for guitars you love. You just gotta try some stuff to see what works for you. :)
Man, thanks Justin! That is a fantastic way of describing that with pickup X in guitar A and B and a great perspective to consider!

If I could ask three more questions, because you really are a tone master haha and I'll stop bombarding you for a bit 😂

1) Do you have a preference on covered vs uncovered humbucker? (Just curious)

2) Is there a specific cable brand/length that you like to use? (Getting into the weeds here, but it all makes a difference 😂)

3) regarding the Axe Fx, do you ever use the Speaker Compression in the Speaker tab?

Thanks for your time, Justin!

Man, thanks Justin! That is a fantastic way of describing that with pickup X in guitar A and B and a great perspective to consider!

If I could ask three more questions, because you really are a tone master haha and I'll stop bombarding you for a bit 😂

1) Do you have a preference on covered vs uncovered humbucker? (Just curious)

2) Is there a specific cable brand/length that you like to use? (Getting into the weeds here, but it all makes a difference 😂)

3) regarding the Axe Fx, do you ever use the Speaker Compression in the Speaker tab?

Thanks for your time, Justin!
1) I haven’t really compared covered vs non-covered. I have those options in different guitars, but they both sound great, so I’m not too nerdy about pickup covers.

2) I use Mogami cables. Just 10 footers simply because I’m only playing in my studio and don’t want cable spaghetti from longer cables.

3) I keep Speaker Compression at default (1.00), but I turn off Speaker Drive to get some air back into the tone.

1) I haven’t really compared covered vs non-covered. I have those options in different guitars, but they both sound great, so I’m not too nerdy about pickup covers.

2) I use Mogami cables. Just 10 footers simply because I’m only playing in my studio and don’t want cable spaghetti from longer cables.

3) I keep Speaker Compression at default (1.00), but I turn off Speaker Drive to get some air back into the tone.
Thanks, dude! I appreciate you!

I bought the KW412 too, its absolutely killer!! In comparison to the "normal" M25 the sound is more defined has much more detail and depth.
The M25 is more raw. Both can do the same, I think it depends on the amp and desired sound.

@York Audio Where exactly is the difference between the SM57 Modern and Vintage?

I bought the KW412 too, its absolutely killer!! In comparison to the "normal" M25 the sound is more defined has much more detail and depth.
The M25 is more raw. Both can do the same, I think it depends on the amp and desired sound.

@York Audio Where exactly is the difference between the SM57 Modern and Vintage?
The 57m is my favorite modern production SM57 from my collection, and the 57v is my Dad’s old vintage SM57 Unidyne III. You can A/B them to hear the differences in their frequency response. The 57-1 placement for both of those mics are typically in pretty similar spots.

Back
Top Bottom