Yek's Presets for MkI/MkII (v15.03) and Blog

Hi Yek,
I have a couple curious questions I was thinking about the other day tweaking your great live patches to my rig.
1st question is, what is the benefit using a mixer block to toggle the wah and wammy as opposed to the old way you used to do it in V10, considering the fact you are all about saving cpu usage and adding a mixer block just adds to this I would think?

2nd question is why do you prefer using a ping pong delay as your "go to" delay type especially when you are a mono signal guitar player?

Good questions. :)

1) My old method (switch between Balance Left / Right) required remembering setting Balance in Amp and Drive blicks to Left. Using the Mixer somewhat simplifies that, at the expense of one column and a little bit of CPU usage.

2) I needed a stereo delay type (I played in stereo a lot at the time) which doesn't have issues when being summed to mono. Ping Pong type did this best, at least during my testing. I'm now mainly playing mono, so I could choose another type, but all is well, no reason to change.

This is a noob question cuz I'm a new axe user, but can you explain a bit what you mean by the global blocks? I'd kind of just like to take a look at a lot of the presets and then choose whether I'll overwrite anything on my axe. I know you've explained that pretty thoroughly, but I'm not quite sure how to do this while retaining the global blocks, when I don't understand what global blocks are

If you don't what they are, you don't have to be afraid of overwriting them. :)

Last edited:
Did some research, still a bit confused, but I'm learning!

Another basic question is: Why do you have your amp and cab blocks spread out so far? Most presets I've seen have them next to each other.

As explained in the OP my Axe-Fx feeds two different output devices:
OUT1 = FOH, studio monitors
OUT2 = power amp + guitar cabinet.

A single preset can be used for both. But OUT1 needs cabinet simulation inside the Axe-Fx, while OUT2 doesn't.
By placing the Cab last and splitting the signal before the Cab (using the FXL block), I can feed OUT1 (the end of the grid) a signal with cabinet simulation, and OUT2 a signal without cabinet simulation (because FXL is before the Cab).

...can you explain a bit what you mean by the global blocks? I'd kind of just like to take a look at a lot of the presets and then choose whether I'll overwrite anything on my axe...I'm not quite sure how to do this while retaining the global blocks, when I don't understand what global blocks are
If you haven't created any global blocks yourself, then you don't have any global blocks to lose. You're safe if you want to overwrite some presets.

WOW yek !!! when can one hear/see you once gigging?

what kind of songs do you guys play? do you also use e.g. policesiren live??
would love to hear you in action once in the Netherlands. awsome.

WOW yek !!! when can one hear/see you once gigging?

what kind of songs do you guys play? do you also use e.g. policesiren live??
would love to hear you in action once in the Netherlands. awsome.

I'm playing in a world music band that doesn't gig often.
My mainstream band is in the middle of breaking up.
Looking for new opportunities.
So not a lot on the agenda, sadly.

Yeah, I fade in the siren in the intro of a couple of songs.

Thanks Yek for the files and for all the documentation that comes along with them. A great study guide.

I do want to share a rookie mistake I made with them so that hopefully other rookies don't get caught in the same trap. I use my Output 2 as a FRFR setup when doing sound creation. I do this to ensure what my FRFR monitor is playing is actually what I'm going to hear onstage, instead of my nice studio monitors.

If you are using Output 2 as FRFR, the simple adjustments to Yek's patches are: under I/O - Audio/Copy OUT1 to OUT2/ON and remove the FX LOOP Block.

Here is the goof mistake I made. I initially replaced the FX LOOP block with a shunt, instead of deleting it. What you end up doing with this mistake is sending the Cab and the non-Cab signal both out at the same time and the sound is painful to listen to.
I knew by reputation that these patches should work but couldn't figure out what the hell I did wrong on my end to have them this bad.

So to summarize, in this specific setup (Output 2 FRFR), just delete the FX LOOP block and don't shunt it. If you follow this, you will get to hear the nice sounds Yek has compiled!

Reactions: yek
Yek, THANK YOU so much for posting your presets. As a new user (6 weeks) I used them tonight to bench mark the presets that I've been using at my last 4 gigs, and it has helped me confirm that I'm on the right track with dialling in my live tones. It has made a huge difference for me when dialling in live tones to have my Matrix GT1000FX cranked up nice and loud and the Q12's at chest height on a stand. I'm already getting awesome tones without purchasing any of the 3rd party IR packs so it can only get better.

Reactions: yek
There have been reports on the forum of AE 1.90 issues with block parameters.
I don't know, I always use the front panel. I only use AE 1.90 for bulk exports, which works well.
I'd say, if possible, stick to the front panel for preset editing.

Using the CLR for amplification at the moment. The CLR truly is the best FR monitor I've ever used.
Other band members are amazed by its clarity, balance and detailed sound.
Works well for rehearsals and stages. For small gigs I'll still use my Matrix power amp and 2x12.

Baron Yek - you are a tone monster and we are so lucky to have you as a Forum Baron! ;)

Re: small gigs - is that because the CLR's are too much power for a small gig or do not sound as good at very low volumes? Or is it just that you find a small gig doesn't warrant you dragging 90lbs of CLRs around? Just curious as I am really interested in the CLRs and would likely be playing just small gigs 90% of the time.

Thanks.
No, at small gigs my own gear is used to 'fill the room' (no P.A.). I prefer a guitar cab for that purpose.

Back
Top Bottom