Yek's great listing of all the 2048 Factory Cabs available in the Axe III!

I think there is a mistake in this list:

1001 --- 4x12 USA Bk Shadow 202 A1 VH --- Valhalla IR ---
1002 --- 4x12 USA Bk Shadow 4400 D2a VH --- Valhalla IR ---
1003 --- 4x12 USA Bk Shadow RNR B3 VH --- Valhalla IR ---
1004 --- 4x12 USA Bk Shadow SM7 B1 VH --- Valhalla IR ---

The B-Speaker in the Valhallir Cab Pack is not a Black Shadow C-90, it's a Chinese Vintage 30 Anniversary

From the Valhallir release notes: "The folder MB-V30UK contains the cab pack with the british 70-Watt V30’s, and the folder MB-BSV30CH contains the Anniversary-V30’s (Speaker B & C) and Black Shadow C-90 Speaker (Speaker A & D)."

@funkstation777

Last edited:
OK, but which Cab is used in the Axe III then?
It is listed as „4x12 USA Bk Shadow“, which leaves the impression it is the „Double Whooper“ and not the MB1992

In the cab picker menu you can filter by size and count, i.e. 2x12.

Aha, I didn't know this. Cheers, @FractalAudio.

This helps, but the crux of my feedback is that with 260 amps and 2500 cabs, it could be helpful to be able to reasonably narrow down choices based on thematic keywords (e.g. "high gain" or "clean") or even by style.

As an example, when I created by first preset and I wanted to create a metal tone, I was overwhelmed by the cab options, and with so many choices it was more than likely I would stumble on a poor choice than a good choice. While I may audition all cans, it is laborious and I can't remember which ones stand out as I go through the list.

Another option could be to use the data from Axe Exchange to show which cabs and effect blocks are most commonly matched with amp models. Axe Exchange is an incredible data source that can help inform the user. This would help people to more finely scope good options.

Aha, I didn't know this. Cheers, @FractalAudio.

This helps, but the crux of my feedback is that with 260 amps and 2500 cabs, it could be helpful to be able to reasonably narrow down choices based on thematic keywords (e.g. "high gain" or "clean") or even by style.

As an example, when I created by first preset and I wanted to create a metal tone, I was overwhelmed by the cab options, and with so many choices it was more than likely I would stumble on a poor choice than a good choice. While I may audition all cans, it is laborious and I can't remember which ones stand out as I go through the list.

Another option could be to use the data from Axe Exchange to show which cabs and effect blocks are most commonly matched with amp models. Axe Exchange is an incredible data source that can help inform the user. This would help people to more finely scope good options.

IMHO it makes no sense to categorize cabs (or effects) by style.

For the big name manufacturers it would be cool to search by brand, Jensen, Celestion, JBL, EV, but that gets into trademark territory.

Yeah, style may be a little ambiguous, but theme (e.g. high gain) would help narrow down options.
I'm with Yek. Beause with a good cab you can play any style. The cab gives the "charakter" which makes iMHO 70 % of the sound, and the amp is responsible for the "theme".

Maybe it would make sense, when it comes to amps. But...just check out Yek's ampguide - I know, there's a lot of stuff to read, but it's really worth the time. There are also suggestions for cabs as far as a remember.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Yeks_Guide_to_the_Fractal_Audio_Amp_Models

IMHO it makes no sense to categorize cabs (or effects) by style.
I have to agree. Sometimes, a cab that works well with a smiley-curve Fender amp will also work well with a smiley-curve metal monster. And sometimes a cab that you’d never consider turns out to be just what you need. When you look at cabs in a music store, they’re not labeled “This one is for mid-gain rock.”

If you’re overehelmed by all the choices, just scroll through the names and pick out a few likely suspects. You’ll find one that you like. Is there a better one somewhere in the box that better suits your ears, your amp model, the way you’ve dialed in the amp model, and your musical style? Probably. But those are personal choices that no labeling scheme can predict.

also, if you need examples of which cabs would traditionally sound "good" with a given amp, look for factory presets containing that amp

I have to agree. Sometimes, a cab that works well with a smiley-curve Fender amp will also work well with a smiley-curve metal monster. And sometimes a cab that you’d never consider turns out to be just what you need. When you look at cabs in a music store, they’re not labeled “This one is for mid-gain rock.”

Sorry, I am mixing thoughts here. Agreed Cabs shouldn't be filterable by tonal character but I do think amps could be. For example, "clean", "high gain" etc.

I think what I am edging to as being even more compelling though is having a way to be able to take the knowledge buried in the presets in Axe Exchange and have that available in Axe Edit.

For example, if most popular patches in Axe Exchange that use a 'FAS Brootalz' also use a '4x12 Brit 70s GB 121 A', I would love to know that this is (a) not just a cab that is commonly matched to that amp, but (b) it is a match that is in a popular preset (based on downloads). Continuing the theme, it would be great to know which drive pedals people use (e.g. 'T808 OD').

This could be exposed as recommendations in Axe Edit. This way when I am new to the Axe FX III and I open up Axe Edit (or do it on the screen) I could first filter by amp type (e.g. "high gain") and then it could suggest the cabs and other blocks often used with the amp I choose. I think this would be enormously helpful in helping people build presets they love more quickly.

I get where you're coming from, but that route is fraught with danger.

Guitarists play "follow the leader" a lot more often than they'll admit. If one guy publishes a Broot52 amp combined with an XYZ cab, others will follow suit. Instant "most popular" combination.

Another danger is how you measure popularity. You measure by download count, right? The most frequently-downloaded presets will be the ones whose titles appeal to the most people. Or the ones most visible, on the forum or elsewhere. Remember that people can't really judge a preset until after they've downloaded it and tried it, at which point their vote has already been cast.

Finally, popularity doesn't equal quality. McDonald's makes the most popular hamburger in the world, but few would say it's the best. Or even a particularly good representation of a hamburger. :)

Guitarists play "follow the leader" a lot more often than they'll admit. If one guy publishes a Broot52 amp combined with an XYZ cab, others will follow suit. Instant "most popular" combination.

I am not sure why this is a bad thing? I imagine most people starting out with an Axe FX will download presets and tune to taste. This way the data associated with popular matchings will help people to get started more effectively.

Another danger is how you measure popularity. You measure by download count, right? The most frequently-downloaded presets will be the ones whose titles appeal to the most people. Or the ones most visible, on the forum or elsewhere. Remember that people can't really judge a preset until after they've downloaded it and tried it, at which point their vote has already been cast.

Agreed on this, but I am proposing a solution that would limit engineering time for FAS on AxeExchange. Ideally there should be a way to rate uploaded presets on AxeExchange to avoid this limitation.

Finally, popularity doesn't equal quality. McDonald's makes the most popular hamburger in the world, but few would say it's the best. Or even a particularly good representation of a hamburger. :)

Agreed, but I don't think users are going to learn about which combinations of amps, cabs etc are the most popular and only stick with those. People will experiment, but experiment based on some proven patterns. Also, if for example I picked FAS Brootalz, I would love to see the most popular 10 (or more) cabs generally matched to it. This way I can narrow my search a little.

I really don't see any downsides to this. My concern is that the Axe FX is becoming so phenomenally cable and rich with options that people won't be able to get the most value out of it without devoted months of fiddling time, which I would argue fewer people would be willing to commit to.

My concern is that the Axe FX is becoming so phenomenally cable and rich with options that people won't be able to get the most value out of it without devoted months of fiddling time...
We passed that threshold years ago. The problem is that phrase, "get the most value out of it." You can get a ton of value out of it just by flipping through the factory presets. Getting the most value out of it is a different journey.

The Axe-Fx — any version — is a gourmet kitchen. Or more precisely, it's an incredibly well-stocked music store, complete with a soldering iron and a bench to work on, where everything is free. New Fractalites look at all the goodies on the shelves, and they want to know how to use it all right away, either by watching a few videos or having the gear tell them what to do. And they wonder where to start. The answer is the same as it was with your old amps and pedalboard. Back to the kitchen...

Want some recipes to get you started? That's what AxeChange, the Preset Exchange, and the factory presets are for. Want to know what sauces (cabs) are frequently paired with a given meat (amp)? @yek has given us a superb reference for that and much more knowledge. Want to have all the amps premixed with appropriate cab pairings and expertly seasoned? @austinbuddy has done that, if you don't mind giving him a few bucks for the hundreds of hours he put into it. And he's working on an Axe-Fx III version as I write this. Want to know what drives and effect types to use with a given amp? That question is so full of personal preference that there is no meaningful way for anyone but you to answer it.

But if you really want to learn how to use all this stuff to get the most value out of it, there is no substitute for putting in the time in the kitchen. It's been that way for the sixty-plus years that electric guitar has been around. (And yes, your old analog knowledge will transfer over. :))

Fractal has given us the kitchen. It's up to us to learn how to cook.

Back
Top Bottom