Would I regret getting a Standard over an Ultra?

Actually I'm not really USING the added Ultra horsepower.

But I always like the desperate posts of Standard users when they have to wait for FW Updates :mrgreen:

To start with, I own a Vetta and until now have REALLY tried to be happy with it and not pay attention to Fractal. Then this 7.0 came out and there were AMAZING recordings flying all over the forums and I couldn't escape it. Combine that with the news that Line 6 is basically done with their "flagship" amp and here I am, posting on the Fractal forum. I want to make a public apology to Shredi and any other ex-ION members. I behaved badly over at the ION forum when the Axe Fx really took off and have been regretting it ever since. So, my bad and hopefully we can get along now. That out of the way, couple of questions:

I am considering the Axe, but want to know if the standard or Ultra is for me. I have budgeted $3000 for the new setup. When I play my Vetta I do the following: Two amps at once, a tubescreamer for some models, a phaser in front, and a chorus in front. The phaser and chorus are usually inactive, but there in case I need them. I will have a delay in the post effects section inactive for rhythms and on for leads. Reverb for cleans. Would this overload the cpu of the standard? I am into Amp sims, not complex effects. I don't tweak the chorus and delay for hours, but I will tweak the amp knobs forever. I also tend to use a graphic EQ for a mild mid cut in my metal rhythm stuff.

Thank you everyone.

I was wondering the same thing...

I would split guitar signal into 2 path, and run different effect on both side...

i guess i need the ultra then... damn... time to sell my jmp-1 to get the extra money... sure i won't regret.

or... if i run my signal like this:

amp x
guit < > FX-FX-FX-cab-etc...
amp y

do i go for ultra or is regular ok?

thanx!

Nic

ak49climber said:
To start with, I own a Vetta and until now have REALLY tried to be happy with it and not pay attention to Fractal. Then this 7.0 came out and there were AMAZING recordings flying all over the forums and I couldn't escape it. Combine that with the news that Line 6 is basically done with their "flagship" amp and here I am, posting on the Fractal forum. I want to make a public apology to Shredi and any other ex-ION members. I behaved badly over at the ION forum when the Axe Fx really took off and have been regretting it ever since. So, my bad and hopefully we can get along now. That out of the way, couple of questions:

I am considering the Axe, but want to know if the standard or Ultra is for me. I have budgeted $3000 for the new setup. When I play my Vetta I do the following: Two amps at once, a tubescreamer for some models, a phaser in front, and a chorus in front. The phaser and chorus are usually inactive, but there in case I need them. I will have a delay in the post effects section inactive for rhythms and on for leads. Reverb for cleans. Would this overload the cpu of the standard? I am into Amp sims, not complex effects. I don't tweak the chorus and delay for hours, but I will tweak the amp knobs forever. I also tend to use a graphic EQ for a mild mid cut in my metal rhythm stuff.

Thank you everyone.

If you used the Vetta Like me, you used 2 amps at once to make up for deficiencies in either. I don't find myself needing 2 with the Axe-Fx. That said, I'm glad I have the Ultra.

It is now my opinion...after having personally experienced this for myself...that if you even have to ask the question "should I get the Ultra or the Standard" then you need to get the Ultra.

I asked...got the Standard...and will be upgrading to the Ultra...

...end of story...get the Ultra...then you'll never have to think or wonder about it again...ever

I had no desire for an ultra until recently when all the Multi Band Compressor stuff started happening...now...I really want an Ultra

squealie said:
ak49climber said:
To start with, I own a Vetta ....
...metal rhythm stuff.

Thank you everyone.

If you used the Vetta Like me, you used 2 amps at once to make up for deficiencies in either. I don't find myself needing 2 with the Axe-Fx. That said, I'm glad I have the Ultra.

Dito on the two amp thing. On my Vetta, one amp never sounded good enough by far. I always needed that second amp to compensate. Not so with the Axe. I haven't even started on trying two amps at once.
BTW, with all the user presets and User IRs there is so much to tweak while only using one amp I haven't gotten around to it yet either. And still it outperforms the Vetta by miles.

Get the Ultra. There will always be other guitars.

Personally, I liked the added effects and power of the Ultra (like the delays and quad-chorus and ring mod and MBC). When I first bought it, I had wondered if I was going "overboard" but now that I've had this awesome machine this long, I am very glad I went with it over the Standard. Not that anything is "wrong" with the Standard; it's just that now, I don't ever have to worry that my Ultra can't do something I want it to do. It's like having a Mesa stack that you never have to turn to 11 but if you WANTED to, you could. :cool:

And also, the extra money for the Ultra definitely felt like it was worth the extra wait to get it.

Funny this thread popped up again. I'm a near 3 month Standard owner sitting here debating whether to hit "Buy" on the Fractal site for a new Ultra

i am sending my 10 day old standard back monday and upgrading to the ultra. I just want ot be able to update to anything this company puts out. the axe has put my mesa roadster and evh 5150 III to the role of power amps/ dust collectors

If your going to spend 1500 on a standard might as well spend a few hundred more and get the Ultra. I hear people saying the standard is about maxed out already where the Ultra isn't.

I've had my standard since January 5th. I've yet to create a patch that has maxed out the resources (couple around 80%) and be left wanting more. If I had the extra funds I would get an Ultra. However I did get a B-Stock standard so there was a discount with full warranty AND I'd rather upgrade to a better FRFR Pair than my event studio monitors at some point. The MBC would be great and the Quad chorus sounds great as well but I am still happy and content with my standard. I have yet to "Want" and Ultra simply to have an Ultra.

the thing is i'm in Cananda... so...

with money exanche rate and taxes and shipping...

the standard would cost me about 2350$ and the ultra would be almost 3100...

i think i'll go standard for now since I can't afford the 800 more.

i wanna cry but hey, life is tough...

For me, it wasn't a monetary issue - it was just down to what I would use.
I hardly ever use effects other than the reverb - so the ultra's extra effects would have been wasted on me. And that's not to say the standard can't handle lots of amazing effects if you want, because it certainly can. Just not as many as the ultra.
I just wanted this thing for the amp sims, and for that the units are exactly the same.
Not once have I thought "I should've gone ultra..."
Totally happy with my standard.

In the end, it's obviously an individual decision - you just need to look closely at the specs, hear some clips & whatever to help you decide which unit best suits your requirements.

I've never had any memory issues with my standards. My typical patch includes a single amp and cab (2 cabs on some patches), reverb, delay, enhancer, and three or so stomp box type effects (drive, rotary, vibe, octave). Kind of in the middle of the complex/simple scale. It works fine in this capacity, but sometimes I wonder how future-proof it will be.

jarrett said:
Funny this thread popped up again. I'm a near 3 month Standard owner sitting here debating whether to hit "Buy" on the Fractal site for a new Ultra

I just pulled the trigger on an Ultra.

Back
Top Bottom