Would I regret getting a Standard over an Ultra?

Random Hero

Inspired
Maybe I'm just trying to save a bit of cash, perhaps get some high end monitors or something? I look at the fx in the Ultra and think "how often would I really use some of that stuff?" considering how my rig currently consists of an Einstein head, Bogner 4x12 and Eventide Timefactor. And I generally plug straight in.

But then the other side of me says "You'll only regret it if you get the Standard..."

Any insight?

I got the standard and havent any regrets (yet :D) But then again im not you so only you can answer that really.

I havent run out of cpu yet and i kinda knew the extra effects would be nice to mess with but i knew at the end of the day i wouldnt really use them or i could certaly live without them.

I figured, would i rather spend €500 to have that extra parametic eq in the line or whatever or have 75% of the money for another Edwards Les Paul. For me, i'd rather have the Les Paul - but then again, im not a huge FX junkie. I bought the unit mainly for the amp sims and only use a small bit of basic fx like reverb and delay and od pedals....

Random Hero said:
Maybe I'm just trying to save a bit of cash, perhaps get some high end monitors or something? I look at the fx in the Ultra and think "how often would I really use some of that stuff?" considering how my rig currently consists of an Einstein head, Bogner 4x12 and Eventide Timefactor. And I generally plug straight in.

But then the other side of me says "You'll only regret it if you get the Standard..."

Any insight?

considering you can sell the standard for just about as much as you will pay for it, you can always get an Ultra later if seems you need/want it.

Hey, like you I don't use many effects, however it's nice to use certain patches with lots of effects (nice reverbs, delays, multichorus) occasionally for a change.

Running dual amps, dual cabs etc and still having the flexibility to add effects was one thing that made me go for the Ultra, also the idea that future updates may stress the Standard.

I've posted this opinion (here & elsewhere) a number of times when others have asked the same or similar questions. I guess I'll offer it again...

With the Ultra, you have extra effects and tools that don't exist in the standard. The Ultra has an arpeggiator, synth effects, vocoder, looper, multi-band compressor, ring modulator, quad chorus, diffuser, resonator, crossover and more complex delay and pitch based effects. There's now also that cool perceptual reverb thing that Cliff shared with us. These don't exist in the standard. The Ultra also has more memory and a faster processor. This allows you to have more elaborate patches and presets. You can run multiple amp models and cabinet models at the same time with more effects. It allows you to be more creative. Both AXE FX units allow you to route all amps, cabinets, and effects in any order or arrangement that you can think of. The Ultra's added power and speed allow you to be even more creative than you already can with the standard model.

When I made the purchase, my thought process was this... If I am going to spend this amount of money, I'm going to spend a little more and do this one time (the correct way). You will be happy with either one. But, if you have a high musical or guitar skill level and some experience, you should get the Ultra if you can afford it. Again, both are great, but there are many extras with the Ultra.

Also, I have read the comments of many people in the last year who own (or owned) a standard and say that they either wish they had an Ultra, or tell us that they bought an Ultra, eventually. Conversely, I have NEVER heard anyone who owns an Ultra say that they wish that they had saved a few hundred bucks and just gotten the standard.

browlett said:
I've posted this opinion (here & elsewhere) a number of times when others have asked the same or similar questions. I guess I'll offer it again...

With the Ultra, you have extra effects and tools that don't exist in the standard. The Ultra has an arpeggiator, synth effects, vocoder, looper, multi-band compressor, ring modulator, quad chorus, diffuser, resonator, crossover and more complex delay and pitch based effects. There's now also that cool perceptual reverb thing that Cliff shared with us. These don't exist in the standard. The Ultra also has more memory and a faster processor. This allows you to have more elaborate patches and presets. You can run multiple amp models and cabinet models at the same time with more effects. It allows you to be more creative. Both AXE FX units allow you to route all amps, cabinets, and effects in any order or arrangement that you can think of. The Ultra's added power and speed allow you to be even more creative than you already can with the standard model.

When I made the purchase, my thought process was this... If I am going to spend this amount of money, I'm going to spend a little more and do this one time (the correct way). You will be happy with either one. But, if you have a high musical or guitar skill level and some experience, you should get the Ultra if you can afford it. Again, both are great, but there are many extras with the Ultra.

Also, I have read the comments of many people in the last year who own (or owned) a standard and say that they either wish they had an Ultra, or tell us that they bought an Ultra, eventually. Conversely, I have NEVER heard anyone who owns an Ultra say that they wish that they had saved a few hundred bucks and just gotten the standard.

Also you get more volume and eq blocks.

Its only a matter of time before quite a few JP Forumers are over here :mrgreen:

I ended up opting for the Standard man. I do have one patch that runs dual amps but its minimal in the FX catagory. As was already mentioned you could unload your standard for what you paid for it if for some reason you just find yourself NEEDing the ultra enough to justify the extra 25% in price. That is a significant jump to me which is why I chose the lesser or the two. I haven't longed for an ultra yet and don't see myself because I'm just not a complex FX junkie.

The only time I had *sort* of wished for a Standard is when that perceptual reverb came out. It's cool, but it's also not worth the extra $$$.

Now, I had wished for an Ultra when Firmware updates come out...you're FIRST on that!

But otherwise, I can run SO much stuff as it is, with Dual paths to FRFR and external cab, and very rarely have I run out of CPU space. Mostly that was because I was running EQ and PEQ blocks all over the place to hone the sound. I haven't done that since the advent of 6.0, so I would say since that's come out I've never run out of CPU.

I don't know and only you can tell, but if you look over the list of what the Ultra has to offer, and nothing jumps out as 'I GOTTA have it', then the Standard is your box. But if money is less of an object for you, get the Ultra.

I'm completely satisfied with my Standard. I had the same thought as you (save the money for other gear) and do not regret my decision.
I'm not a effect junkie so I do not run into high cpu usage. Most of the time I use two amps, one cab, a drive, and a few EQs and a reverb.

EDIT: And we have a lot of Ultra users as beta tester ;-)

I would have regretted it. I considered it, but decided to eat soup for a few months and get an ultra. I am very happy I did. I actually use some of the stuff many people decided wasn't worth it though.

Also, I'm worried that at some point, the Standard will be stuffed and only the Ultra will be able to get all the cool new stuff. Don't know if this will be an issue, but I imagine.

danielodland said:
I would have regretted it. I considered it, but decided to eat soup for a few months and get an ultra. I am very happy I did. I actually use some of the stuff many people decided wasn't worth it though.

Also, I'm worried that at some point, the Standard will be stuffed and only the Ultra will be able to get all the cool new stuff. Don't know if this will be an issue, but I imagine.

This concerns me too. I remember some quote where Cliff said the Standard was at 99% of it's capacity or something?

RB_Guitar said:
I'm completely satisfied with my Standard. I had the same thought as you (save the money for other gear) and do not regret my decision.
I'm not a effect junkie so I do not run into high cpu usage. Most of the time I use two amps, one cab, a drive, and a few EQs and a reverb.

EDIT: And we have a lot of Ultra users as beta tester ;-)

Oh yeah! There is that on the wait!

BUY the Ultra.
I repeat,
Buy the Ultra.
Then,you'll never have to feel the intense pain you get in your fingers as you constantly hit the reload button,nervously waiting for the Standard update to be ready.
Gus

Random Hero said:
danielodland said:

This concerns me too. I remember some quote where Cliff said the Standard was at 99% of it's capacity or something?

Even though the wizard still manages to find new ways to compress and stuff more greatness into it.

CudBucket said:
PlaysARobin said:
Its only a matter of time before quite a few JP Forumers are over here :mrgreen:

Huh? Wha? :)

The best part of that is: No Fan Boys!!! :roll:

(JP fan-boys, that is.)

JP? Jurassic Park?

Standard owner here. Have all the effects and CPU power I need. Perfectly happy.

In fact, I'm strongly considering getting another as a backup because I gig with it and it would be another Standard.

If you use a LOT of effects along with two simultaneous amp sims and cabs or need a particular effect in the Ultra, you may want to consider the Ultra.

However, if you even run two amp sims with a stereo cab having a different speaker cab for each sim and use basic effects, the Standard may be enough for you. I know it is more than enough for me.

Your call.

Another happy Standard owner here...

The only thing I find lacking is the Synth block, which I would use with an LFO in order to create a metronome for practice :D. Also the looper is a missing convenience that I would like to have.

Hmm... firmware updates... if you GOTTA be on the cutting edge at all times, then get an ultra. Getting the standard means waiting a couple days after the ultra guys get their candy to get yours.

Alex EShadow said:
Hmm... firmware updates... if you GOTTA be on the cutting edge at all times, then get an ultra. Getting the standard means waiting a couple days after the ultra guys get their candy to get yours.

Yeah. Often the firmware updates seem to come first for the Ultra. However, they have also come first for the Standard in the past.

As if I should comment here because I haven't updated since v5.19 (Lopp says with misguided pride). :roll:

Back
Top Bottom