Would I need a rack?

I went all in on power conditioning with a Furman AR 1800 voltage regulator. It was a lot of money but I have a lot of gear originating power from it, exponentially worth what the voltage regulator is worth. It’s worth it I think.
Same, but I also sprung for the pr 1800. The ar has some filtering already, but the pr offers more. It didn’t have the voltage regulation, so I got both. I noticed a difference in tone with the tube amps. I can’t tell with the FAS. Probably just making the rack way heavier than it needs to be. Haha

Is anyone using a 'shielded' rack enclosure for their AXE-FX?
Just a guess,...I'm thinking this might help.. Maybe I'm all wrong.

My AXE-FX is situated close to my iMAC in my limited space studio.
I'm getting lots of buzzing, EM noise, unless I'm facing in a certain direction.
Even doing that does not eliminate 'ALL' the noise.
My Axe-Fx 3 was silent at my previous apartment but in my current one there seems to be a lot more EMI so just facing to different directions with a guitar will make a big difference. Especially with single coil guitars.

I just have a basic 3U Thomann rack which is similar to those basic Gator rack cases. It adds enough bulk that if I were to use it with the Axe-Fx 3, I would just take the 3 out of it for regular desk use and put it back in for transport.

I have never seen or heard of anyone putting a stereo receiver in any sort of case, so using the Axe only at home, on your desk or wherever seems very similar to me, so unless you ever plan on taking it anywhere, I wouldn't bother.
Yeah, it'll get dust on it, but so would the rack case. Just dust it off once in a while. And when it's on, the fan will most likely move dust through the unit, regardless of whether it's in a rack or not, so I don't really see the benefit.

That being said, if you get a power conditioner or something like what Bruce has, then having it and the Axe, (and your amp if that's also what you use), in a rack is almost a given. Going back to my stereo analogy, when I had a full component stereo, with a tape deck, receiver, turntable, and CD changer, it was all housed in a nice furniture-style case.

Last edited:

laxu..​

Thank you for response, BUT.... EVERYONE seems to be 'Ignoring' the word 'SHIELDED' rack case, with their 'possible noise solution' responses.

ex; I SHIELDED all the inner cavities of my Fender Jazzmaster guitar with copper foil and it made a world of difference to eliminate EM and RF noise.

laxu..​

Thank you for response, BUT.... EVERYONE seems to be 'Ignoring' the word 'SHIELDED' rack case, with their 'possible noise solution' responses.

ex; I SHIELDED all the inner cavities of my Fender Jazzmaster guitar with copper foil and it made a world of difference to eliminate EM and RF noise.
But most likely it's not the Axe-Fx 3 picking up EMI but your guitar considering how much it changes when just turning around in a chair for example. Even if it's using humbuckers and shielded. I mean the Axe-Fx 3 electronics are already crammed in a metal case.

It's a question of what you are shielding for.
As far as I know a rack case shutting out EMI noise isn't realistic with all those wires coming in and out; just not possible to create a cage of faraday that way.
EMI 'shielding' (it's more preventing than shielding) has to be done by smart wiring design: preventing ground loops by star shaped wiring and powering system* + ground lift + eliminating unwanted electrical connections (like using the double plastic washers @sprint mentioned), preventing noise coming in through the power leads*, using good cables and humbuster jacks, keeping cable lengths short (as in a rack) ... and keeping your cellphone away from your pups :)
* this is where a power conditioner 'comes in handy'. I use a Furman PL-PlusCE which has done wonders in my - now dust gathering - analog tube rig. This Furman model was recommended to me by a professional guitar rig builder. I believe it's less expensive compared to the PR1800 but not shure about that.
A rack case shields from mechanical dangers. The quality of the rack case - build and materials used - determines the extend of shielding. If you're not a frequent / professional gigger, like me, a Gator case may be the best protection your available money can buy. Just don't drop it!

If you have the money, I'd recommend a shallow 6U (or even 8U) SKB rack case. The spare spaces are for when you inevitably buy more rack units for the rack rig you inevitably start building.

Back
Top Bottom