Working with Stephen C from The Deftones this week, check out our progress!

I was able to talk to Stef and Kevin about the preset package last night and write up an article on it for the web site. It's going to be great - lots of details in there from Stef and Kevin regarding the presets. Stef's excited to be sharing them.

Hopefully this is the beginning of a trend where great guitarists on the big stages will contribute to this community and let others create with their presets.

Hopefully this is the beginning of a trend where great guitarists on the big stages will contribute to this community and let others create with their presets.

This will be a good study in the reactions of the community and the artist. If it's mutually good for both, I'm sure we'll see a lot more of it. I give props to Stef and the other artists who have shared so far as it's not an easy decision for a lot of guys. The rig of a professional guitarist is a piece of their intellectual property of sorts, with details gathered over years and years of practicing and performing. I don't think most people realize the attachment some artists have to things like this. Having an artist share their work and toolkit is a real treat for everyone and I think it will be well-received by this group because Axe-Fx users are the best, right?

I certainly understand all the time that goes into setting up patches, but at the same time, I think its important to remember that "sharing" a rig isn't really all that new of concept. I remember reading guitar mags back in the 90's where artist would share all their pedal and amps and how they set each of them. Certainly easier to DL a patch than to go out and buy all the given gear (trust me, as a huge Gilmour fan the sheer number of pedals I've bought chasing his tone is crazy) though!

Really though, giving someone your preset, or telling them exactly what amp and pedals to buy and how to set them, still usually isn't going to make you sound like those artist, any more than going out and buying the same camera lenses as a famous photographer is going to make you take pictures like that person.

Having the gear certainly is fun though

I agree with those things - my point is that sometimes it can be a bigger deal to the artist than we can know, for many factors. Most artists aren't that involved in the specifics of the hardware they use and they don't have the time or need to post on forums, or to spend the time to package up presets which may open them up to criticism. They're using these devices as tools to get their job done instead of worrying why a particular drive pedal isn't yet modeled. So it's a treat for us non-rockstars to get some of their perspective and a look behind the curtain. That's why I wanted to take a second to applaud Stef for doing this - he's certainly not uptight about it. That's all and that's good - just another great reward for being a Fractal owner.

Really though, giving someone your preset, or telling them exactly what amp and pedals to buy and how to set them, still usually isn't going to make you sound like those artist...

What's interesting is that with (serious/professional players of) orchestral/band instruments, the tone produced is all there is. Surely the player makes the music, but the instrument is not just custom, it's unique. And each one 'works'.

20090226_vultures_560x375.jpg

yeah its crazy how things change around here I remember people asking for artist patches in the past and basically got flamed
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra-std-wish-list/31039-presets-pros.html
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra...what-if-endorsed-artists-created-patches.html

go see what the top presets are that are downloaded on axe-change!!!

to any person that could possibly have a problem with an artist sharing patches.....just don't download them and let everyone else enjoy!! :O

Only really great artists are going to share patches - like Yek for example.

Cool thanks!

Is there mostly TM (tone match) presets. Or is there tweekd normal presets ??

Back
Top Bottom