WISH: Update Subscription

Would you subscribe to FW update alerts?

• Yes - I want a subscription to FW updates.

Votes: 46 86.8%
  • No - I'd rather find out on the forum only.

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
I love the Forum and what I can find in it. I find it a tremendous resource for such things as preset ideas, informed conversation on usage, tips, etc. Some of the contributions are absolutely invaluable. For instance, Scotts posts on mixed FF and NF IRs were, IMO, a game changer in how the Axe sounds out of a monitor speaker. But I find myself spending too much time browsing uselessly sometimes, just looking for updates or such and getting distracted from work.

I would like to see an option to subscribe to updates in FW or releases and such. It would cut down my time on line by a good half. I think this might have to be implemented on the FAS website rather than on the Forum, but I'm good either way. Anyone else interested in this? Vote.

Not trying to ruffle feathers here- but FAS has enough to do. Let them work on the product. Is it really that big an effort for you to look? Come on.

No, it isn't. But I'd rather do my job and play guitar than check. It's just a preference. Most software companies have a system that indicates when an update is available. If Axe-edit, as is suggested elsewhere in this thread, offered to download the updated firmwares automatically, I'd be happy too.

It's not a deal breaker. But there's always going to be someone who says NI! (About 20% usually)

No, it isn't. But I'd rather do my job and play guitar than check. It's just a preference. Most software companies have a system that indicates when an update is available. If Axe-edit, as is suggested elsewhere in this thread, offered to download the updated firmwares automatically, I'd be happy too.

It's not a deal breaker. But there's always going to be someone who says NI! (About 20% usually)

I understand-I just think, at present-FAS has enough to do. The larger (not better by any means, just larger) companies have a whole darn staff for that stuff. That is and was my point.-Down the road-yes-it would be cool.

You can't be serious a bulk email is about the easiest thing that the guys at FAS will ever need to do. The only reason I can think of that they don't do. This is concern over bandwidth when this many users try to download the FW in a shorter window. However, these little FW updates seem hardly able to crowd a T-1 and not a chance on a T-3... Curious to hear their response.

This in very easy to implement.

1) Create a SINGLE read only thread for the purpose of having one place for this information. FAS or an list admin posts when an update to firmware or software occurs.

2) User's who want an update can subscribe to that thread and get the update in their email. Email notification needs to be turned on in the user control panel which has various notification options.

I would definitely use this. I frequently read about something and look to see if there has been an update recently. And I can't be on the forum very often lately.

1) Create a SINGLE read only thread for the purpose of having one place for this information. FAS or an list admin posts when an update to firmware or software occurs.

2) User's who want an update can subscribe to that thread and get the update in their email. Email notification needs to be turned on in the user control panel which has various notification options.

I would definitely use this. I frequently read about something and look to see if there has been an update recently. And I can't be on the forum very often lately.

There you go! Great idea, super simple to implement. FAS?

I've often wondered why this wasn't done long ago. There's a sub-forum called "News" that would be a natural place for this. Fractal already starts a thread when there's a new release. It's no harder to put that message into a pre-existing "announcements" thread.

Much better idea-

You can't be serious a bulk email is about the easiest thing that the guys at FAS will ever need to do. The only reason I can think of that they don't do. This is concern over bandwidth when this many users try to download the FW in a shorter window. However, these little FW updates seem hardly able to crowd a T-1 and not a chance on a T-3... Curious to hear their response.

Yes I was very serious-Retired tech-I know what BE entails.

Folks - FAS provides unparalled product support. Cliff continues to refine and, from time to time reinvent, the Axe FX II platform at no further cost to FAS customers. Sending a suggestion to FAS is one thing, but this sort of thing comes across as entitlement. It really doesn't take any time whatsoever to check the forum or support page for updates - unless one is burning time sitting on the F6 key waiting obsessively for the next FREE update. In the words of the late, great Frank Zappa: "Shut up and play your guitar."

/rant

It's just a wish, the same as any other that gets posted and discussed here, with no more sense of entitlement than any of the other 10,000 things that get requested or discussed.

You're right: FAS does provide first-class product support, continual innovation, and they rip through development cycles at a break-neck pace. That's wonderful stuff, but it's not a reason to drop discussion on this or any other wish.

There used to be a thread exactly like this. However, it was maintained by the mods and not Fractal. Don't know why it stopped.

Probably because there usually was a multi-page thread already before a mod caught up with it. Hardly any point then. And there were a lot of minor updates that got rather dull. And maybe mods do have a life off the internet... Totally speculating here. There also were a couple of mods that aren't around any more. I don't mean Jay.

If there was one that Matt or so would keep up to date then that might be faster, but as said above, maybe Fractal doesn't want faster. Just suppose they overlooked some bug or a glitch got in. Way more creases to iron out if that would affect way more people.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom