Wish Wish please - Mimic (Mimiq) Block

The mimic doesn't sound that special to me. It suffers from the same hard comb filtering that all choruses I've heard do. It may be a bit more randomized, but it is still there, and it kills mono compatibility. It seems to me that a completely different method than a modulated delay is needed to truly sound realistic, or some method that can decorrelate the direct and delayed signals. I just don't think you can mix a signal with itself (without a long enough delay or large enough shift that puts it out of the realm of chorus/double) and avoid objectionable comb filtering, at least, I haven't heard any product that can. My eyes and ears are always open though.

I've read that non-realtime methods can achieve this, but I don't know of any specific products that do.

Having run my stereo capable Mimic in a myriad of routing configs / settlngs combinations, I always come back to only one mode that works to make it sound great to my ear (the sound I wish for in Axfx): 1 Voice running all wet / no dry on one side only (opposite side unaffected), either before dual hard panned amps, or after a single amp and before dual hard panned cab slots. Not to restrict the wish expressed in the OP, but for me, just having this 1 mode in Axfx would prompt me to give up the real pedal - no multi-voice modes needed, just 1 added enhancer block type that's hard panned unaffected on one side, and a nice discreet special sauce'd single voice random delay modulation on the other side, + a control to change its range / randomness (slop). Some existing enhancer block types seem in this direction, so maybe its a coding variation of an existing enhancer type - dunno. Tho I also hear Mimic not precisely getting what I consider real double tracking, it is at least a "stereoization" type effect that is quite nice / unique to my ear - it's strength imo, is how well hidden it's random transitions are - other attempts at duplicating the effect fall short of Mimiq to my ear if the random transition points can be heard (ruins the effect for me). A totally new approach would be really cool, but I think the less ambitious wish defined here to just include what the Mimiq in its current form does would be a welcome addition (imo one voice of the scaled down "Mimic Mini" pedal would be the core beef).

Last edited:
I just don't think you can mix a signal with itself
Don’t feed it a mono dry. Use it (or just the mimiq mini) on one half of a stereo amp setup with different amps. When used this way it is the closest thing to double tracking I’ve found. It’s really nice when playing live with IEMs which I do exclusively. Obviously when recording I’m actually double tracking.
it kills mono compatibility
Mono compatibility is a non-issue in the context I use this effect (i.e. live or quick demos). I wouldn’t be using it if my signal were going to be summed to mono somewhere.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom