Wish Wish please - Mimic (Mimiq) Block

does Classic mode have any summing issues? most places i play i just tell FOH that the guitars are stereo (and provide both tails), but who knows what they do from there.
It's not mono compatible, but my signal is never summed anywhere so it's not an issue for me. Even if for some reason it was being monitored in mono, the engineer could simply use one side or the other instead of summing them.

I have a Mimiq and love the thing. Nothing else really does what it does. If you use it as intended, routing it before your amps, then build two fully separate parallel rigs and pan them apart for stereo, it sounds excellent. Dialed correctly, it’s very convincing as a double tracking sim. Almost hard to tell the difference between it and actual double tracking unless you really listen for it in a controlled environment.

If you route it after your amp, then yeah it’s not very convincing and you might as well just use an enhancer block, but that’s not really how it’s supposed to be used.

Last edited:
I have a Mimiq and love the thing. Nothing else really does what it does. If you use it as intended, at the very beginning of the chain, and build two fully separate parallel rigs and split them for stereo, it sounds excellent. Dialed correctly, it’s very convincing as a double tracking sim.

If you route it after your amp, then yeah it’s not very convincing and you might as well just use an enhancer block, but that’s not really how it’s supposed to be used.
I've used mine most successfully pre as you've suggested but I also now find it very good post running mono on one side only all wet/no dry with 1 voice only and tightness at noon.

FYI - I also find enhancer works best to my ear pre hardpanned distortion but I've gotten away from dual hard panned drives / amps / cabs (to much trouble / cpu - maybe I'll go back there some day on all my presets in Axfx4).

I've used mine most successfully pre as you've suggested but I also now find it very good post running mono on one side only all wet/no dry with 1 voice only and tightness at noon.

FYI - I also find enhancer works best to my ear pre hardpanned distortion but I've gotten away from dual hard panned drives / amps / cabs (to much trouble / cpu - maybe I'll go back there some day on all my presets in Axfx4).

Yep I run mine on the 1 dub setting, so one side is an entirely dry, and the other side is a totally "Mimiq'ed" wet tone. That's the best way to simulate two guitarists imo.

Yep I run mine on the 1 dub setting, so one side is an entirely dry, and the other side is a totally "Mimiq'ed" wet tone. That's the best way to simulate two guitarists imo.

I have a tonex into the front of my AXE III Turbo - safe to assume i would put Mimiq in front of tonex ? I use it for quick gain eq settings etc. works great for that - thanks

I don't even cable it on the dry side (thru) - just mono in/out on the other side - settings as mentioned above.

I have a tonex into the front of my AXE III Turbo - safe to assume i would put Mimiq in front of tonex ? I use it for quick gain eq settings etc. works great for that - thanks
typically, at least for wandering dub tracks, Mimiq only makes sense with a stereo path present after it.

I don't even cable it on the dry side (thru) - just mono in/out on the other side - settings as mentioned above.

That I don’t understand. If you have it set for 1 dub, in theory you shouldn’t even be able to hear it if you’re only plugged into the dedicated 2nd output for stereo.

Yes it has L and R output - neat addition to Axe no mouse just twist a knob while playing - good luck doing that while playing lol
Does it have stereo inputs? If not, you should run the Mimiq after it. If it does, and you can keep the inputs stereo separated, then yep you should be good running it in front of the tonex.

Does it have stereo inputs? If not, you should run the Miniq after it. If it does, and you can keep the inputs stereo separated, then yep you should be good running it in front of the tonex.
Only stereo out - not in - thanks for info - bit on fence about getting one some rave about it others not so much

Only stereo out - not in - thanks for info - bit on fence about getting one some rave about it others not so much

In my experience, and this might sound harsh, but every negative review I’ve read was written by somebody who didn’t know what they were doing.

It’s a pretty specialized pedal that effectively needs two fully independent rigs to work properly, and most people don’t have two rigs setup to be used at the same time. Plenty of people just plugged it straight from one guitar into the input of their one amp and wondered why it didn’t sound right. Or they route it almost at the end of the chain and complain that it doesn’t sound much different than chorus. That’s not how it’s supposed to be used.

If it’s used correctly, it sounds exceptionally convincing. I think Leon Todd might have done a pretty good demonstration of it a while back showing just how close it can get. Check that one out.

edit:

edit 2:
Here's an official TC Electronics video where they show it being used with two rigs. It sounds very realistic.

Last edited:
That I don’t understand. If you have it set for 1 dub, in theory you shouldn’t even be able to hear it if you’re only plugged into the dedicated 2nd output for stereo.
One side of the signal (left in my case) goes untouched and does not pass through the pedal. The other side of my signal (R) goes through the mono In/Out of my stereo Mimiq pedal (set to 1 voice, all wet, no dry, tightness at noon). This yields the full (and best imo) effect of the pedal (I'm not keen on >1 voice - also why I think the mini (mono only) Mimiq version is really all one needs (the stereo multi dub aspects
of the stereo pedal are not great or
superfluous imo).

One side of the signal (left in my case) goes untouched and does not pass through the pedal. The other side of my signal (R) goes through the mono In/Out of my stereo Mimiq pedal (set to 1 voice, all wet, no dry, tightness at noon). This yields the full (and best imo) effect of the pedal (I'm not keen on >1 voice - also why I think the mini (mono only) Mimiq version is really all one needs (the stereo multi dub aspects
of the stereo pedal are not great or
superfluous imo).
Yep you can just use the mini version this way, just run it on one side of your stereo setup.

Ill admit I'm not good with cabling confuses the heck out of me :)
+1 - mine has gotten complicated partly because I have my rig set up to select either Enhancer or Mimiq or HX Double Take. I thought HX double take would eliminate Mimiq, but it's not quite there (I find the transitions the HX does are too pronounced compared to Mimiq which "wanders" more smoothly / pleasently

Back
Top Bottom