Wish Wish please - Mimic (Mimiq) Block

I have a block, kinda inspired by the one that comes in the Petrucci Rig. Is set to be ran in a Parallel chain by the way.

Attachments

• Mimiq_20230903_203110.blk
    1.4 KB · Views: 21
+1 to the Mimiq. Until now, all workarounds with controllers, pitch, enhancer failed. This little box does something different.

A few weeks ago I have bought a used Mimiq pedal (for the second time, as I sold the first one after a few days of testing, it was way too phasy)
which was loaded with the last firmware. Using a dual amp/cab setup as the only guitarist in my band, I put the mimiq in the FX loop.

I have tested every single block (Cooper Carter, etc.), all the tricks and workarounds to simulate, what the mimiq pedal does. Nothing, but really nothing comes close to the tiny little pedal. All you get, is phasy, chorus-like tone, that no one needs.

One point is really important: I left one row with the amp 1 completely untouched, with Out3 I went to the input of the Mimiq and returned to INPUT3 an the row of the second amp. Of course I use different amps and cabs. But I also used grafic eq blocks to boost or cut different frequencies
in both amp rows and panned both rows hard.

As a result I got a "wall of sound", that just got phasy, when put it completely to mono. But even with a pan between 9 and 2 o' clock you get the broad "2-amp" sound live.

What I can say is, that this weekend I had the best guitar live sound that I can remember.
I have fixed the Mimiq inside the back of my rack. The settings are FX full, mono input, 1 Double and Tightness knob at 12 o'clock.
So, as a "Mimiq" Block will obviously never happen in the Axefx, I can only suggest, to grab a real one and just put it in the FX-loop, just like John Petrucci does. It works great.
BTW, I have heard, that there is some Mimiq-block in the latest Helix firmwares (the guy, who sold the Mimiq to me, is using it in his Helix , which made his pedal obsolete. Seems, that the gap between the "Big 3" modeling devices on the market is closing more and more)

The FoH-tech has recorded the soundcheck master track, If I can get it, I will post some clips later.

I'm sure I read somewhere on here Cliff saying there were limits how far he could go in replicating the Mimic pedal due to copyright stuff with TC
Maybe it's something he's still messing about with.
Loads asked for a Klon, he got something he could work off and it appeared in the unit a while later.
So who knows

I cannot imagine, why this should be a copyright problem. There are so many simulations of amps, fx, cabs in the Fractal Units, that pretty much do, what the spoof-name implies. I'm pretty sure, that TC does have the copyright for the name "MimiQ", but I don't think they have some kind of copyright about the way this pedal works. It just may be not on Cliff's "To Do-List" .

I cannot imagine, why this should be a copyright problem. There are so many simulations of amps, fx, cabs in the Fractal Units, that pretty much do, what the spoof-name implies. I'm pretty sure, that TC does have the copyright for the name "MimiQ", but I don't think they have some kind of copyright about the way this pedal works. It just may be not on Cliff's "To Do-List" .
+1, ie: Line6 has their "Double Take" which seems to replicate the Mimiq right down to the controls available and more - I'd love to see this effect in Axfx (seems logical it could be an added "type" in the Enhancer block"). I have MimiQ and use it often but it's not ideal for me in terms of how I have to have it cabled (won't go into that here), so having an inboard double tracker in AxFx would be hi-value for me compared to other "odds and sods fx" wishes which are easier for me to implement outboard (ie: feedbacker via Digitech Freqout). Of course such fx can often be approximated in Axfx with some added fx config but the key factor is always "how much added fx config?, at what cpu cost?, and at what opportunity cost where limited fx instances might be needed and so not available for other uses?" (there's a point at which an outboard effect may still be the best option even if Axfx can replicate the effect with a given degree of config).

Last edited:
TBH, thinking about it I realise that quote was to do with the Digitech Freqout

A few weeks ago I have bought a used Mimiq pedal (for the second time, as I sold the first one after a few days of testing, it was way too phasy)
which was loaded with the last firmware. Using a dual amp/cab setup as the only guitarist in my band, I put the mimiq in the FX loop.

I have tested every single block (Cooper Carter, etc.), all the tricks and workarounds to simulate, what the mimiq pedal does. Nothing, but really nothing comes close to the tiny little pedal. All you get, is phasy, chorus-like tone, that no one needs.

One point is really important: I left one row with the amp 1 completely untouched, with Out3 I went to the input of the Mimiq and returned to INPUT3 an the row of the second amp. Of course I use different amps and cabs. But I also used grafic eq blocks to boost or cut different frequencies
in both amp rows and panned both rows hard.

As a result I got a "wall of sound", that just got phasy, when put it completely to mono. But even with a pan between 9 and 2 o' clock you get the broad "2-amp" sound live.

What I can say is, that this weekend I had the best guitar live sound that I can remember.
I have fixed the Mimiq inside the back of my rack. The settings are FX full, mono input, 1 Double and Tightness knob at 12 o'clock.
So, as a "Mimiq" Block will obviously never happen in the Axefx, I can only suggest, to grab a real one and just put it in the FX-loop, just like John Petrucci does. It works great.
BTW, I have heard, that there is some Mimiq-block in the latest Helix firmwares (the guy, who sold the Mimiq to me, is using it in his Helix , which made his pedal obsolete. Seems, that the gap between the "Big 3" modeling devices on the market is closing more and more)

The FoH-tech has recorded the soundcheck master track, If I can get it, I will post some clips later.
this has me gas'ing for mimiq pedal again. I bought the large stereo pedal long time ago and messed around and got some good results but I sold the pedal. Tried the workarounds in the Axe fx like you mentioned as well. I'm thinking about grabbing the pedal again. Are you using the smaller version pedal or the fuller featured stereo one? I'm guessing the mimiq mini would suffice. and from your post and if i recall seeing other users posts on usage the way to go is connect it to only affect one amp in parallel.

this has me gas'ing for mimiq pedal again. I bought the large stereo pedal long time ago and messed around and got some good results but I sold the pedal. Tried the workarounds in the Axe fx like you mentioned as well. I'm thinking about grabbing the pedal again. Are you using the smaller version pedal or the fuller featured stereo one? I'm guessing the mimiq mini would suffice. and from your post and if i recall seeing other users posts on usage the way to go is connect it to only affect one amp in parallel.
I'm using the "big one", but as you say, pretty sure, that the "mini" version would do exactly, what I need. I tried to use it in full stereo configuration,
but it affected both amp lines too much and got phasy. So my approach was to "leave one side alone" and just process the second amp. Works like a charm. I also tried to change the polarity before the second amp (and after the mimiq) to reverse it again after the cab block. But this put also too much phasey fx into the signal. Dry signal split in two rows - then Out3 to the mimiq in/In3 back, then Amp , grafic eq (also with amp 1) both in different settings - cab . And everything panned hard left/right.
The good thing is, that it remains a good signal , even when panned between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. Only at noon it sounded phasey AF.
The guitar sound was heard pretty well in the whole location.

I'm using the "big one", but as you say, pretty sure, that the "mini" version would do exactly, what I need. I tried to use it in full stereo configuration,
but it affected both amp lines too much and got phasy. So my approach was to "leave one side alone" and just process the second amp. Works like a charm. I also tried to change the polarity before the second amp (and after the mimiq) to reverse it again after the cab block. But this put also too much phasey fx into the signal. Dry signal split in two rows - then Out3 to the mimiq in/In3 back, then Amp , grafic eq (also with amp 1) both in different settings - cab . And everything panned hard left/right.
The good thing is, that it remains a good signal , even when panned between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. Only at noon it sounded phasey AF.
The guitar sound was heard pretty well in the whole location.
Same here - I have the stereo version but use it on one side only - should've just bought the mini at 1/2 $. Running it full stereo seems get that intermittent phasiness not present in mono.

+1, ie: Line6 has their "Double Take" which seems to replicate the Mimiq right down to the controls available and more -

The Mimiq and the Helix Double Take were written by the same person :). Kemper's doubler is very similar. They all work better than pitch or chorus effects, but none is perfect. Like you say, a double tracker in the Axe-FX could potentially be better than a Mimiq since it could take advantage of side chaining.

The Mimiq and the Helix Double Take were written by the same person :). .
Did not know that - I think I'd heard that some people left Digitech and went to L6 so some of those Digitech Fx (ie Drop, Freqout...) are pretty similar in L6. Sounds like some TC staff might have made the trek over as well - not surprised as when I watched the following vid, I could not help but think "wow that works pretty much identically to MimiQ but double take adds a sensitivity control and has more voices". As you can see toward the end of that long vid, he also tends to favour having just a single "double take" voice 100% wet/no dry on one side with moderate tightness(slop), opposite to 100% dry / no doubling effect on the other side (like MimiQ mini would provide on one side only). Would be cool to see what Fractal would do with it - I suspect the challenge is to get the randomization aspect integrated with smoothness.

A cool thing I like to do with Mimiq is to have a generated single voice "Dual Diatonic" from pitch block 100% wet on one side only with a 100% dry signal (routed around the pitch block) on the other side, into MimiQ on the pitch'd harmony side only. Greatly improves the realism of that simulated dual harmony to my ear with the mimiQ pedal randomly moving the harmonized part around a bit like what would happen with a real 2nd guitarist playing harmony.

Last edited:
I'm sure I read somewhere on here Cliff saying there were limits how far he could go in replicating the Mimic pedal due to copyright stuff with TC
Maybe it's something he's still messing about with.
Loads asked for a Klon, he got something he could work off and it appeared in the unit a while later.
So who knows
I'm pretty sure the copyright stuff was the Polytune that was a very popular wish for a while but couldn't be done.

Back
Top Bottom