How to get a double tracked tone with FM3?

Rusty Riffs

Hey there, looking for a way to get a double tracked sound from my FM3 if possible. Ive tried chorus and delay's although better, no quite what I want. Ive heard some talk about LFO's but I dont really understand perhaps someone could elaborate. Or if you have any other tips/tricks please share!

Thanks

@Frodebro: are you referring to the dual detune in the pitch block? I've tried that as well and it sounds good (I use Leon Todd's block library).

Pretty sure that’s it. I saved it in the library on both my FM3 and Axe, so I haven’t paid any attention to how I did it specifically in quite some time.

It's almost always two guitars, recorded one on top of the other.

There are ways you can approximate a double-tracked sound. Each way involves separation.
  1. Separation in time — use a delay;
  2. Separation in space — pan left/right;
  3. Separation in frequency — use pitch shift/detune;
  4. Separation in tone — use different amp and cab sims, different effects...the sky is the limit.
Each of these things will help you get closer to a double-tracked sound, but there's no perfect substitute for actually recording a part twice.

Hey there, looking for a way to get a double tracked sound from my FM3 if possible. Ive tried chorus and delay's although better, no quite what I want. Ive heard some talk about LFO's but I dont really understand perhaps someone could elaborate. Or if you have any other tips/tricks please share!

You can get a pleasing stereo effect with a chorus or delay, but double tracked guitars don't sound big because one channel has the phase flipped or a chorus applied or one side delayed or pitch shifted or have complementary comb filters. They sound big because of varying and complex temporal and dynamics relationships.

The state of the art for emulating double tracked guitars is the Mimiq pedal and the Kemper Doubler, which attempt to emulate that complex effect and are different than simple stereoizing techniques like phase/chorus/pitch/delay.

Here's a preset that demonstrates a double tracked effect for the Axe-FX (it also demonstrates the limitations in the Axe-FX when trying to get a Mimiq-type effect):

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/doubler-vs-enhancer.186563/post-2309221

Leon did a Video about it recently. It is called „IRON MAIDEN Harmonies“. I can‘t Post links yet, but i‘m sure you‘ll find it easily.

I know the OP was asking about a preset to use in real-time, but I just happened to watch this a couple days ago and besides demonstrating some familiar gear, what I found is it gives a pretty good understanding of the complexity and what is involved (frequency & time wise) when double tracking and why just having two of the same panned is nowhere the same. It might be useful to understand what is needed to get close. Basically, it’s all about randomness and enhancing the good and suppressing the bad.

You can get a pleasing stereo effect with a chorus or delay, but double tracked guitars don't sound big because one channel has the phase flipped or a chorus applied or one side delayed or pitch shifted or have complementary comb filters. They sound big because of varying and complex temporal and dynamics relationships.

The state of the art for emulating double tracked guitars is the Mimiq pedal and the Kemper Doubler, which attempt to emulate that complex effect and are different than simple stereoizing techniques like phase/chorus/pitch/delay.

Here's a preset that demonstrates a double tracked effect for the Axe-FX (it also demonstrates the limitations in the Axe-FX when trying to get a Mimiq-type effect):

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/doubler-vs-enhancer.186563/post-2309221
I had a kemper stage before and the kemper doubler was really not that great, not even close to the enhancer block. Lots of artifacts, lots of random signal drops.

Back
Top Bottom