How to get a double tracked tone with FM3?

The Mimiq is a great pedal. In addition to Petrucci, it also has a prominent home in Ken Andrew's rig.

Considering number of Fractal artists that are the only guitarist in their band and require such an effect, I wouldn't be surprised if something like a "Doubling Block" is in works.

I did some digging and the mimic settings were recreated by cooper carter and I downloaded them. Exactly what I was looking for.;

If this is for live then I would +1 for the Enhancer. You can also do Pitch Block Dual Detune + Enhancer - but then I would zero out the delays in the pitch block and don't hard pan in pitch block just start from dead center and tweak pan slightly in the Dual Detune until you like it. If you also lightly modulate the Detune 1 & 2 parameters with 2 separate LFOs you can get a little fatter still.

I have an FM9 but maybe someone with an FM3 has already done a preset using the modulated detune+enhancer approach and they can post it for you.

If this is this for recording then you can get convincing double tracked guitar from a single DI with only a little effort in any DAW. Dom Sigalis posted a "video how to" on a good doubling technique for Cubase. I have used it a lot and you get very convincing results with anything - Vocals, Guitar, etc. In the end it usually takes less time than nailing 2 separate takes which is nice too, Using a DI lets you add amps, effects, eq & pan to the doubled track later which can help minimize phasing issues. Let me know if this is for recording and I'll search for the video. Even though Dom is using Cubase you could accomplish it with any DAW.

It is a great shortcut, but if you have the time then nothing beats double tracking for thickening up a recording.

You probably already have CC's Petrucci preset on your FM3 if you have the factory presets that were updated for FW 4. Preset #82's (Petrucci Rig FM3) pitch block is the Mimiq emulation. You can save the entire block to your library, and the modifiers will stay attached (they are what give it the magic).

From there, you can tweak mix to your liking. Higher mixes sound more like a chorus effect. Experiment to see what type of sound works well for you.

I haven't heard anything better in the FM3 for doubling.

Another tip: set both LFO controllers to random when using that block. Makes it less uniform and chorus-y.

I use the pitch block in parallel, one side set to 7ms delay and the typical 9/-9ish on the detune. I'm basically addicted to Zack's No rest/No More Tears tone and this does it pretty darn good, short of buying an SPX90.

Back
Top Bottom