Will there be an Axe Fx 2 Ultra?

For one thing I think it was an oversite not to include a few gigs of flash RAM for storing audio - like loops or even having a scratchpad for musical ideas that you could capture on the fly and then download to a computer or DAW later.
But beyond that I agree that there is not much more one could want in this unit. Also it would cause quite an uproar among the forum dwellers if a new, better unit were to be released anytime soon.

I assume Cliff could always add the function of attaching a HD or thumb drive to the USB port to allow that kind of function. THat would be cool.

I asked in the technical thread if it were possible to put two TigerSHARC's in the place of each ONE currently on the II. Cliff mentioned an extremely minute amount of lag (like 12 microseconds or something ridiculously small) when chaining the DSP processors. Perhaps in the future he can do the same -- 2 cores for each section (amp/effects).

Lots of questions werent answered in that thread, and I assume mine didn't count as a technical question directly relating to the announced product, but it's fun to speculate.

However, if there is a reason this is not likely/possible, I'd like to know =)

If I had to guess, I'd say there won't be an Axe II "Ultra." For two reasons.

1. The new unit is powerful as hell and already has enough storage space for tons and tons more amp models and effects in the future, and twice the RAM of the Axe Ultra, and Cliff said it's ridiculously hard to max out a patch if it's even possible at all, which was basically the problem the Ultra was created to solve in the first place.

2. It seems like it would be a lot smarter to be able to devote yourself to developing one firmware rather than having to split your efforts and always have to compromise throughout the life of both product(s) by having to pick and choose what can and can't go into the "lesser" of the two. Just think about how much time would be saved by implementing an idea, and then being done with it and able to get right on updating and implementing the next big thing without having to go back, revise, and fit that same great idea you just had again but into another unit with less resources to work with this time. I can't imagine it being anything other than completely exhausting and probably even a little bit tedious.

I can see why Cliff developed two products in the beginning of his business, but it's also not hard to imagine how that very same innovation could have caused a lot of headaches and hangups down the line and that in the future, products serving the same purpose would most likely be released with as little overlap as possible to avoid those issues.

Then again, I could be completely wrong. Cliff is a machine after all, so maybe that's exactly the kind of challenge that floats his boat.

Last edited:
Reactions: gpz
I'm not sure what he would add at this point in time considering how amazing the II looks, but I know it won't be cheap. Could I sign up for that email list as well? lol.

I think if a III would be released soon after the II, I would probably jump ship and go back to tube amps. Do not get me wrong...I loved my Ultra; I also just sold it to account for 2/3 of the Axe II. Seeing as the Ultra had a good 4-5 years before it moved down from the flagship model, I would really hope that the II had a similar shelf life before something superseded it. I love Cliff's products and I will be the first to buy a II (of course I will be beaten too it tho haha) but it would be kind of frustrating to have to take a big hit on every product you bought 'new' when it was 'state of the art' to only have it become obsolete a year down the road. None of this is Cliff's fault, that's just how the digital market goes, but I can't afford to keep up with it, if that is how it will be with a piece of Fractal gear. I can't afford to keep the II as a backup and shell out $3000 on the III lol (or lose $1000 selling my II and adding another $2000 to get the III)!

Although I do have to say I do not think a III will be released anytime soon as it will undermine the magnificence of the II....after all, it is a revolution! lol. And I think Cliff really does care about keeping customers satisfied; and from a business standpoint, you want the customers to trust your company. The popularity of the Standard and Ultra was based upon the consistent and incredible devotion to firmware updates and constant reinvention (and revision) to the hardware that was these two models....not just putting out a better model to make a quick buck. We always talk about how loyal we are to Fractal, but Cliff was loyal to the Standard and Ultra model for years, so I would hope he'd be the same to the II.

I think if a III would be released soon after the II, I would probably jump ship and go back to tube amps...it would be kind of frustrating to have to take a big hit on every product you bought 'new' when it was 'state of the art' to only have it become obsolete a year down the road...

obsolete |ˌäbsəˈlēt|
adjective
1 no longer produced or used; out of date.

I'm sorry, but I find this a bit mystifying. We're not talking about a replacement for the II coming out in the near future--that just doesn't make any sense. What brought this on?

If a II ULTRA was to be released I think I would settle for the II standard if they both have the same amp modeling and quality of effects.

The II already has all the effects of the axe-fx ultra and I don't use most of them.

If I where Cliff, I wouldn't want 2 "II"s.

I can imagine, with the three units he currently has, it's going to be a pain to keep up with firmware as it is.

He probably can't wait for the 1's to be full, so he can pare them down to just bug fixing, here, and there.

Of course only Cliff can talk for Cliff

I wildely guess that

A.)Yes there will be a AXE-FX 2 Ultra-->some longer time from now when the complexity of the algorithm exceed the memory and DSP power like it was from STD-->to current ULTRA

B.)I again guess that hardware cost(not the development fee which have to be put on any unit) from STD,Ultra and AXE 2 would not differ that much and therefore I would guess that the current ULTRA dies sooner then later

C.)If I would have to decide(I am in marketing and product planning motorcycles) I would try to get a more entry priced STD (12-1500 bucks) with a cheaper CPU mainboard power which would let you run 80 % a Standard can do now

Then again its Cliff who knows all of this

Roland

The popularity of the Standard and Ultra was based upon the consistent and incredible devotion to firmware updates and constant reinvention (and revision) to the hardware that was these two models....
How 'bout the popularity is based on that they sounded awesome even at firmware 3.xx? And only got better!

I don't get what people are talking about buying the Axe-FXs because of the firmware development. It's a musical instrument preamplifier effector. It's used to make music. Not to develop firmware!
Cliff's dedication is incredible, his knowledge stupendous, the service from Fractal is outstanding, but all of this is SECONDARY by a mile! The unit is first and foremost a MUSIC TOOL! And awesome tools they are.

When the III comes out the II will also be an awesome MUSIC TOOL!
Shut up and play yer guitars.

We're not talking about a replacement for the II coming out in the near future--that just doesn't make any sense. What brought this on?

I was just speaking hypothetically if a superior model would come out in the near future (which I do not think will happen). I believe that some people are worried that something better than the II will come along shortly after the II is released (obsolete was an incorrect word choice). As I stated, I am buying a II anyways (and will be keeping the II); I just can't afford to grad some new Axe II Ultra or Axe III if it were to be released shortly after the II (which doesn't make sense).

How 'bout the popularity is based on that they sounded awesome even at firmware 3.xx? And only got better!

People are speaking about firmware because it is a big draw. As you stated....it only got better. That was exactly my point. I would hope that the II will only get better (hell, it has even got better since the announcement with more USB I/O enhancements, etc.!). No one is denying how good the Axe-FX is as a music tool. I was just stating that people generally want the best bang for their buck. Of course, it is an irrational notion (as a new model will not render your current hardware any less effective).

Last edited:
Cliff: If you ever go out with an Axe-Fx Extreme, IMHO, you should do like Ferrari (I'm Italian!) give right of first purchase to the existing customer base before the new customers. For Ferrari it works and your marketing models are similar:
1- Best in the market
2- No compromise, "hand built" (take this with some tolerance), top of the line components
3- Limited quantities
4- Exclusivity
5- Dream Gear for a lot of people...

Maybe to make it red is not a bad idea....
ferrari-046.gif

Come on guys, give it a rest! Stop talking about the successor of a unit that's not released yet. Cliff will never (at least not again) talk about future product releases. If you can't handle the fact that somewhere down the road there will be something newer and shinier, I suggest you stop buying digital gear. It's just the nature of the game.

I, for one, am grateful that I've saved lots of dollars by going the Fractal route, due to the fact that my amp ("real amp") GAS has been non-existent after I got the Ultra.

I guess a lot of the "awareness" of the possibility of an "Axe-FX II Ultra" is due to the fact that some unlucky guys took a hit with recently purchased first generation units. On the other hand, a lot of us have taken serious hits with analog gear as well (myself included).

The first generation Axe-FX units are still kick-ass! I'm sure the second generation units will be kick-ass! The third generation units will probably be kick-ass, as well!

Back
Top Bottom