Will there be an Axe Fx 2 Ultra?

I think we just need these things released already. So the people that buy them, get them, and the people that don't, move on lol. When they're released, people will pick up their guitars again, listen to their new (or old) axe fx and stop hypothesizing :D (myself included! I need something else to do lol!).

Last edited:
I guess a lot of the "awareness" of the possibility of an "Axe-FX II Ultra" is due to the fact that some unlucky guys took a hit with recently purchased first generation units.

Phrase: take a hit; informal
2. to suffer damage or loss

I had to hunt a bit for this definition; mostly the phrase is taken to mean ingesting drugs through the nose, which didn't seem to apply (or perhaps I'm really misreading these posts… 8)). Still, I don't accept the basic premise, although maybe this is one of those conspiracy theorist things that are related to genetics and evolutionary back doors.

I think we just need these things released already. So the people that buy them, get them, and the people that don't, move on lol. When they're released, people will pick up their guitars again, listen to their new (or old) axe fx and stop hypothesizing :D (myself included! I need something else to do lol!).

Amen

Come on guys, give it a rest! Stop talking about the successor of a unit that's not released yet. Cliff will never (at least not again) talk about future product releases. If you can't handle the fact that somewhere down the road there will be something newer and shinier, I suggest you stop buying digital gear. It's just the nature of the game.

I, for one, am grateful that I've saved lots of dollars by going the Fractal route, due to the fact that my amp ("real amp") GAS has been non-existent after I got the Ultra.

I guess a lot of the "awareness" of the possibility of an "Axe-FX II Ultra" is due to the fact that some unlucky guys took a hit with recently purchased first generation units. On the other hand, a lot of us have taken serious hits with analog gear as well (myself included).

The first generation Axe-FX units are still kick-ass! I'm sure the second generation units will be kick-ass! The third generation units will probably be kick-ass, as well!

+ 1 Richard

The Axe II simply has a lot of room to grow and the Ultra and Standard have pretty much reached their limits. The Ultra seems to have came about when Cliff had ideas that the Standard could not process. I'm sure with more resources at his disposal this time he has already considered this and prepared before hand.
And if Cliff has a brainstorm that the new II hardware could'nt take care of I definatley would want to hear that.!!!! but thats not to say that maybe the II is as good as it gets. we haven't heard it yet .... maybe this is the best tube emulation that can be done ?? wasn't that exactly what we were saying about the Ultra two weeks ago? and there is room for expanded and or new effects. (I think the Axe II is a dream machine) Most anyone of us would have paid the extra $200 just to get the hardware improvements but we will get all this great new updated software also.. :) If three years of thought went into this I seriously doubt we will outgrow the II in the forseeable future.. just my opinion :)

Reactions: gpz
The Axe II simply has a lot of room to grow and the Ultra and Standard have pretty much reached their limits. The Ultra seems to have came about when Cliff had ideas that the Standard could not process. I'm sure with more resources at his disposal this time he has already considered this and prepared before hand.
And if Cliff has a brainstorm that the new II hardware could'nt take care of I definatley would want to hear that.!!!! but thats not to say that maybe the II is as good as it gets. we haven't heard it yet .... maybe this is the best tube emulation that can be done ?? wasn't that exactly what we were saying about the Ultra two weeks ago? and there is room for expanded and or new effects. (I think the Axe II is a dream machine) Most anyone of us would have paid the extra $200 just to get the hardware improvements but we will get all this great new updated software also.. :) If three years of thought went into this I seriously doubt we will outgrow the II in the forseeable future.. just my opinion :)

Exactly.

An Axe-FX III (Or II Ultra) in less than 3-4 years makes no sense at all.

My only question is will there be an Axefx III Extreme Deluxe Turbo w/ optional guitar pick dispenser?
Seriously? The II is cutting edge. I think the best thing to do would be to wait another 10 years and buy one so you know it's the latest technology. :)

I think asking this is like asking what more could you possibly want? More IR slots? etc etc

the II had alot of things people have been wanting like USB , more IR's etc

aside from more steps in the sequencer, and maybe some more looper options (which could maybe be done in a FW upgrade) I think I will be damn happy with the II!

so what would a III give you that the II can't?!?!?

so what would a III give you that the II can't?!?!?

waffles, all of Steve Vai's patches, a button that makes Kool Aid go through any wall I wish him to, and finally, a life.

Cliff can lead a guitar player to axe fx, but he can't make him play any better. Until axe III that is ;)

Exactly.

An Axe-FX III (Or II Ultra) in less than 3-4 years makes no sense at all.
Well, if I'm not mistaken the architecture of the Tiger Shark is nearly a decade old ( I could be mistaken ) but if that's true, that is ancient in terms of microprocessor development cycles. I doubt that Analog Devices considers the Tiger Shark to be the ultimate DSP chip. How soon before a DSP replacement for the Tiger Shark comes out? Who knows, but if that were to happen, then there would be motivation for Fractal to design a new box around that chip. Isn't that how the Ultra came into existence ... new chip, new capabilities, new box and the rest is history. And it didn't take the Ultra long to be developed once the new chip was available either. But who knows ....

"Will there be an Axe Fx 2 Ultra?"

A better question...

Will there be a Axe-FX II?

:?

Well, if I'm not mistaken the architecture of the Tiger Shark is nearly a decade old ( I could be mistaken ) but if that's true, that is ancient in terms of microprocessor development cycles. I doubt that Analog Devices considers the Tiger Shark to be the ultimate DSP chip. How soon before a DSP replacement for the Tiger Shark comes out? Who knows, but if that were to happen, then there would be motivation for Fractal to design a new box around that chip. Isn't that how the Ultra came into existence ... new chip, new capabilities, new box and the rest is history. And it didn't take the Ultra long to be developed once the new chip was available either. But who knows ....

Unless someone makes a chip that Cliff will gas for, the Tigersharc is still king. A very old king. Not everything new is better. Example: Nintendo still works no matter how long you leave it on, the Xbox 360 gets the red ring of death if you leave it on for a day. Then again, it OS made by Microsoft....

Back
Top Bottom