Will Axe-FX II have brand new, realistic presets available?

romanianreaper

Power User
I don't own an Axe-FX but have heard that alot of people don't use the presets because they are over-the-top effects wise, etc. I was wondering if the Axe-FX II is going to have new presets available that are different from the Ultra and also will they be more plug-and-play so to speak? It would be nice to hit preset 1 and have a nice, dry, plexi tone, etc.

I'd rather have basic presets that can become more advanced later, rather than the other way around.

you can use presets on the axe, the ultra and standard have several that you can use, but its not difficult to set a patch that has a custom tone that you want. its really tough for the initial presets to have something useful to everyone (different guitars, pickups, and how you hear it).

The presets (in any audio device) are usually crafted to demonstrate the feature set available in that model. Tends to be why most folks think they "suck". That's because many should be considered as "look what this device can do" examples and not really applicable for real-world use - except for maybe one or two users. Hence the "over the top" and why many presets are generally not "realistic".
IMHO - I would expect that there will be presets ported from the other models to the Axe FX II and those that don't fit or don't "work" -- due to G2 amp tech and new params on effect blocks for example - will be replaced with "new" stuff.

Last edited:
Dialing up your own presets is honestly now a no-brainer. The learning curve is diminished greatly. Getting killer raw tones - usable ones live and recording - is practically as easy as 1-2-3.

No BS either. It's really that fast, that easy.

Just make presets that sound great with a basic stock pickup Les Paul and some that sound great with your basic Strat
and some that sound great with a Duncan JB equipped guitar. Amp, cab (medium room reverb and slight delay on some and some dry).
Don't give me this shit about everybody has different guitars blah blah blah.Any good patch I make with my Peavey Wolfgang on any amp or modeler sounds pretty damn good with any of my other guitars with just a 5 second adjustment of distortion and or bass/treble.
Show off the more over the top U2,Pink Floyd type effects laden patches as well of course but obviously those would be done with a Strat and a Gibson on some.
There is no excuse to not have the first 10 patches not be the 10 most iconic tones of the last 50 years dialed up with your basic guitars of each one. It's not rocket science.
I just feel it's the lack of confidence in how the unit sounds with just basic amp, cab and touch of verb that is the problem. Distract them with a wash of effects.

Last edited:
Dialing up your own presets is honestly now a no-brainer. The learning curve is diminished greatly. Getting killer raw tones - usable ones live and recording - is practically as easy as 1-2-3.

Well then you are admitting that the previous units were lacking in the basic raw amp , cab, touch of delay/verb 10 second i'm ready to rock setup. Why is the new one different. Better modeling?

Well then you are admitting that the previous units were lacking in the basic raw amp , cab, touch of delay/verb 10 second i'm ready to rock setup. Why is the new one different. Better modeling?

what I have gotten from reading the forum the control has been really streamlined, advanced options are still there for tweakers but not as necessary except for fine tuning... "Types" sound really nice.....

I am very interested in what presets and how many come loaded in it. Are they the same as the ultra? Can the testers out there tell us? With just a little over a week left before it is supposed to be released I would think a preset list would be known.

Same number of presets as the ultra...... it was said that many were ported over from the ultra and some new ones......

Since the Axe II hardware seems perfect I would hope to see maybe 4 banks of 384 presets..... Say "Studio" "Live" "Amps" "Effects"... The pod hd 500 had something similar and it was my favorite feature from that unit.... if you use a processor for years you tend to accumlate alot of presets ....I'm kinda a packrat I guess :)

Scott,

Can you elaborate a bit on the differences you see in dialing in presets on the Axe-Fx II compared to the Ultra that make it so much easier on the II?

I have had all kinds of equipment including the Axe-Fx Ultra. To be honest, i hope that the Axe-Fx II solves the more "analog feel" of the better tube amps... I will definitely try it a the x try to find the holy grail. Anyway, Fractal Audio has been the best emulation so far!

Having said that, i have found the presets on the Ultra always somewhat technical. It is obvious that the company tried to show the technical potential of the device whilst most musicians are just looking for optimal sounds to be used in their songs. You can see that a guitarist Ketil Strand gave a huge demo on youtube that shows a lot of sounds really and he promoted the selling of the Axe-Fx. Where those sounds perfect? No, but it showed the potential of the device and gave birth to new buyers...

Therefore, i would like to advice Fractal Audio to pay more attention to marketing by making better presets. A company which is really good at this, is TC Electronics who is everytime selling always the same product (G-XXX) but with improved presets that are actually usable on stage and in the studio.

Misunderstanding my words - it builds on everything the Ultra/Standard did and goes a step further. The Ultra/Standard aren't 'lacking' anything more than the II just has more to offer.

Scott,

Can you elaborate a bit on the differences you see in dialing in presets on the Axe-Fx II compared to the Ultra that make it so much easier on the II?

Not right now, though I have in different posts so far.

I will be doing a post/thread at the appropriate time and will discuss my opinions at length.

Reactions: gpz
Don't give me this shit about everybody has different guitars blah blah blah.Any good patch I make with my Peavey Wolfgang on any amp or modeler sounds pretty damn good with any of my other guitars with just a 5 second adjustment of distortion and or bass/treble.
Show off the more over the top U2,Pink Floyd type effects laden patches as well of course but obviously those would be done with a Strat and a Gibson on some.
Yeah, right! Even my old L6 gear sounds different when the same patch is used with different guitars. It is much more noticeable with the Axe.

There is no excuse to not have the first 10 patches not be the 10 most iconic tones of the last 50 years dialed up with your basic guitars of each one. It's not rocket science.
Your top 10 iconic patches of the last 50 yrs are probably not identical to mine or Scott's, JJ's or Jay's, or most of the other forum members. Which would you suggest?

I just feel it's the lack of confidence in how the unit sounds with just basic amp, cab and touch of verb that is the problem. Distract them with a wash of effects.
Did you not listen to Scott an JJ's clips?

Hopefully every decent tone on the next unit doesn't have a patch that you have to graduate from MIT to understand.
Guitarists for the most part are meat and potatoes type dudes. Most iconic tones of the last 50 years are pretty basic stuff without too much fuss.
I love that the Axe Fx can communicate with alien life forms with some of the crazy effects it has. That definitely has it's place and is appreciated(certainly by Charlie Sheen). But I want to get the best organic tones in history without much fuss. Is that too much to ask?
I bring to the table my high quality guitars , FRFR and my not as high quality but pretty good chops and ears. I expect fractal to put me in the most user friendly tonal nirvana that is possible without the MIT graduation requirement. Simple really.lol
And if this proves to be the case I will also bring my $2200 to the table. I own an Ultra since last year and it is good but certainly has a problem with foreplay lasting far too long. Here's hoping the Axe2 gets to the good stuff a lot quicker.

Last edited:
Hopefully every decent tone on the next unit doesn't have a patch that you have to graduate from MIT to understand.
Guitarists for the most part are meat and potatoes type dudes. Most iconic tones of the last 50 years are pretty basic stuff
Without too much fuss. I love that the Axe Fx can communicate with alien life forms with some of the crazy effects it has. That definitely has it's place and is appreciated(certainly by Charlie Sheen). But I want to get the best organic tones in history without much fuss. Is that too much to ask?
I bring to the table my high quality guitars , FRFR and my not as high quality but pretty good chops and ears. I expect fractal to put me in the most user friendly tonal nirvana that is possible without the MIT graduation requirement. Simple really.lol
And if this proves to be the case I will also bring my $2200 to the table. I own an Ultra since last year and it is good but certainly has a problem with foreplay lasting far too long. Here's hoping the Axe2 gets to the good stuff a lot quicker.

you should be able to throw in and amp/cab/reverb and design your own. Process is much faster for dialing in tones now. IMO.

Back
Top Bottom