Will any new IRs be included in FW9?

I use 0 user IR's. The stock cabs are fantastic. That being said, I wonder why they even have them separated. Why not just have the entire cab selection user changeable and still load all the stock cabs into the first X slots? Pop them up on Axechange for backup purposes and *boom* you've got an absurd number of slots ready to be completely customizable. If you wanted to re-visit the stock cab capture method, you could just drop a new pack and people that wanted them could swap them out at will. That way you avoid the messiness of "I want the old stock cabs instead of the new stock cabs", but still have 50 free slots like we do now.

I use 0 user IR's. The stock cabs are fantastic. That being said, I wonder why they even have them separated. Why not just have the entire cab selection user changeable and still load all the stock cabs into the first X slots? Pop them up on Axechange for backup purposes and *boom* you've got an absurd number of slots ready to be completely customizable. If you wanted to re-visit the stock cab capture method, you could just drop a new pack and people that wanted them could swap them out at will. That way you avoid the messiness of "I want the old stock cabs instead of the new stock cabs", but still have 50 free slots like we do now.

I do *not* know the answer, but I would hazard a guess that it has to do with licensing the commercial (Red Wire and OwnHammer) and JM IR's. If they are put out on the web - via Axe-Exchange - up for grabs, that'd violate the EULA.

I am speculating, not speaking for Fractal in any way on this. Just my assumption.

I do *not* know the answer, but I would hazard a guess that it has to do with licensing the commercial (Red Wire and OwnHammer) and JM IR's. If they are put out on the web - via Axe-Exchange - up for grabs, that'd violate the EULA.

I am speculating, not speaking for Fractal in any way on this. Just my assumption.

Makes sense. Honestly, I'm surprised there isn't more IR piracy going on. As it turns out guys using third party IR's are pretty honest!

I'm sorry but "old" IRs have to stay, you have 50 slots for "new" IRs, please respect people who use those "old" but still best IRs (i've tried OH and RW IRs many times but i always get back to stock ones)

I'm glad to hear someone else say this. I've tried the new OH IRs and they just don't grab me for my main sounds, which are high gain. To my ears it's hard to beat the stock 4x12 "Cali" cab for gain stuff...

Anywho, the internal tone matching is a great tip and I hope the approach going forward is more options, not changed options...

If they were in a format that only worked in the AxeFx II and not of use to another other device, then it would be moot.

But right now it's not rocket science to convert the IR's to generic .wav files that could be loaded into a number of different plugins.

Richard

Instead of more user IR slots it would be cool if a future version of AxeEdit/AxeManage could backup a 'Bank' of User Cabs and be able to restore the 'Bank' to the same User Cab locations. This way you could back up your cabs then do some experimentation with new cabs, shoot IRs, etc. and securely/reliably restore your User Cabs used with your presets so your Axe is gig ready.

There was mention by FAS of going into a studio and amp matching and shooting IR's.

But that died down before AxeFest West.

IIRC, a really nice JCM800 was matched too.

Are any of those sessions still in the works for AxeChange posting?

Thanks,
Richard
Yes, there was a mention about FAS going into a studio at some point. What ever happened to that?

Fair enough :). I was just thinking in terms of current computer memory. It's so cheap, and the current 50 user slots take up a 1/2 megabite which is miniscule by today's standards. That's all, not a complaint. I appreciate all you guys do to continually make things even better. I'd sell my dog before I sold my Axe II, and he's the only one in my house that understands me :shock

The Axe-fx has no where even close to the available memory of what our PCs have. Plus you can't add more. Depending on the where the memory is stored and how it is stored, it might take significantly more memory allocation and programming resources than the file size alone suggests to store many more factory cabs.

I've not used axe-o-matic - could someone explain in short how to audition the IRs with it?
you tell it which slot to download to for auditioning and it will download there. There really isn't really auditioning in the axe-fx since unlike the presets, there is no buffer.

Instead of more user IR slots it would be cool if a future version of AxeEdit/AxeManage could backup a 'Bank' of User Cabs and be able to restore the 'Bank' to the same User Cab locations. This way you could back up your cabs then do some experimentation with new cabs, shoot IRs, etc. and securely/reliably restore your User Cabs used with your presets so your Axe is gig ready.

I'm totally on board!

Fair enough :). I was just thinking in terms of current computer memory. It's so cheap, and the current 50 user slots take up a 1/2 megabite which is miniscule by today's standards. That's all, not a complaint. I appreciate all you guys do to continually make things even better. I'd sell my dog before I sold my Axe II, and he's the only one in my house that understands me :shock

The reason might be that the axe-fx uses a different and much faster kind of memory?

edit - Its a guess, I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom