Why I won't be using the cab block for recording any more

Before I got my XL I had a thd hotplate for a load and ran my recto into mixir2 .I was never happy with tth results .tone was ok but it always felt a bit weird to me . the feel of the axe fx was way better off the bat

I also tried the wall of sound plug in and that was a little better but still wasnt happy

torpedo may function better than the hotplate did though

Yeah but what IRs were you using? I bought the BigBox when it came out and hated every single IR in there. HA!

And for those of you who stated they are using the 500 ms files to convert to UR IRs and they sound exactly the same - I'd check those by doing a simple test like I did. If you don't hear a difference, that's great and you'll be on your happy way. But I just did another test where I did the same basic idea, only this time I used one of the 500 ms files to convert into an UR IR. This time I didn't note the hollow sucking sound like I did before (I'm guessing because it's coming from a raw .wav file instead of an MPT idealized file), but alas... the results were the same.
not 100% sure, but aren't the 500ms Ownhammer IRs MPT'd already and the "Axe UltraRes ready" 170ms ones non MPT'd ?

not 100% sure, but aren't the 500ms Ownhammer IRs MPT'd already and the "Axe UltraRes ready" 170ms ones non MPT'd ?

My bad. That is correct. I have no idea why my first experiment with long IRs converted through cab lab into UR turned out so weird. I'll chalk it up to oddity that I can't repeat now.

EDIT: I was using single mics in multiple format instead of a single MPT'ed mix file when I did it before. Hence the trouble. If I did it again I'm sure the experiment would turn out the same.

Ok im just watching this unfold form the sidelines

however, you had a clip with 4 examples

So are you saying

The first 2 clips = Protools
The second 2 clips = AxeFx irs

Ok im just watching this unfold form the sidelines

however, you had a clip with 4 examples

So are you saying

The first 2 clips = Protools
The second 2 clips = AxeFx irs

No no no. LOL. First two clips are 1st, the 500 ms IR, then the UR IR. The second two clips are again, 1st, the 500 ms IR, then the UR IR - literally copies of the other performances, to a bus with a filter up to 1kHz on it. The point was to show the raspy quality of the UR IR vs the original, unaltered 500 ms IR.

Well this is embarrassing.

I refused to believe that there could be that much difference as I've extensively tested UltraRes in the past. So I just ran some tests and, sure enough, there was a difference. Turns out UltraRes has been broke since Version 16.03. We made some code optimizations and moved some stuff between stack and heap and missed a variable.

Sooooo... Version 18.07 will coming soon.

I refused to believe that there could be that much difference as I've extensively tested UltraRes in the past. So I just ran some tests and, sure enough, there was a difference. Turns out UltraRes has been broke since Version 16.03. We made some code optimizations and moved some stuff between stack and heap and missed a variable.

Smoke 'em if ya' got 'em. :D
spaceballs3qo.jpg

Shows how (not) good my ears are. I couldn't tell anything was wrong, but then I just dial in a tone I like and play. I'm not recording and a/b'ing stuff.

This is Why I respect you Cliff, you're the man bro!!!!

No no no. LOL. First two clips are 1st, the 500 ms IR, then the UR IR. The second two clips are again, 1st, the 500 ms IR, then the UR IR - literally copies of the other performances, to a bus with a filter up to 1kHz on it. The point was to show the raspy quality of the UR IR vs the original, unaltered 500 ms IR.

Thank you so much for speaking out like you did, it only helps all of us in this wonderful community!!!

this is why I love this product/company. Immediate admission of a minor mistake and near instant action to correct it. And wow, I thought Cab Pack 10 sounded pretty stellar as is...can't imagine how it's going to sound if the difference is that noticeable.

Thank you Cliff, and Fractal, for your never ending quest to make this thing the best it can be.

So is this in the UltraRes creation process? Or using any UltraRes can in general? I'm not too familiar with this stuff :)

Well this is embarrassing. I refused to believe that there could be that much difference as I've extensively tested UltraRes in the past. So I just ran some tests and, sure enough, there was a difference. Turns out UltraRes has been broke since Version 16.03. We made some code optimizations and moved some stuff between stack and heap and missed a variable. Sooooo... Version 18.07 will coming soon.
This is not embarrassing. You guys do so much work that it would be really surprising if things like this did NOT happen. And you research it, own up to it, and fix it. This is the way I wish all companies would act. Once again, customer loyalty! If word of mouth marketing matters, I'll be singing your praises to whoever I can. Thank you!

And thanks also to the OP for doing some genuine footwork and posting, which helped out everybody!

Yet another reason I am so glad I am a Fractal owner. Mistakes happen but few companies own up to it publically & work so diligently to correct them.

Well then I sure hope that I can re-title this thread "Why I won't use the cab block until FW 18.07 is released" - LOL.

Big of you to admit it man. And glad I'm not insane and just hearing nonsense bullshit. :encouragement:

But in all seriousness, unless Kevin of OwnHammer hadn't harangued me into trying the longer IRs, we'd all be just derpin' around happy as could be. So I want to thank Kevin for getting me interested in this so I could bring my findings to the forum. Onward to greatness with the Axe!

Back
Top Bottom