Why I won't be using the cab block for recording any more

This thread is useless without clips :)
here is a little one, try to guess which is which :)

and here is wave file in maximum quality https://www.dropbox.com/s/1fqmpwpqxmoakk9/500ms vs UR.wav?dl=0

i used this ir OwnHammer_412_MES-ST_V30-EN_EL34_57-03.wav
and same one converted vith CabLab in Minimum Phase mode IR in cab block, UR of course.

I used REVerence plugin in Cubase to load 500ms IR

This is RAW against MPT ... ?! if so, this test is not valid for the set target ...

For the record, I never meant to say one or the other sounds like shit or significantly better than the other. Is using the cab block an absolute deal breaker? No. Not really. Obviously there are lots of prime recordings where people are using the cab block. But on a personal level, I do hear a difference and I prefer the way I'm doing things now. I figured posting this would give alternatives to anybody feeling the same way is all.

But remember - just as one can "think" themselves into hearing two things as different, you can also "think" your way into believing things sound exactly the same. It's all a matter of perspective.

The following dropbox link illustrates what I hear as the difference between the two methods. The first part of the clip is full on, the second part is filtered at 1kHz. The signal chain is as follows:

Guitar -> Green Rhino drive/boost -> Axe-fx II -> FAS MODERN -> Spdif -> Saffire Pro -> firewire -> Logic Pro X.

Each track has Slate VCC on it, a bit of standard filtering and a touch of subtractive EQ, and the buses have Slate Virtual Bus. The master output has Ozone's limiter. The only difference between the two sets is one is the long IR and one is the signal from the Axe-fx II with a UR cab. Both are recorded with the same IR: OH Mesa Standard Modern Raw 03. The first half is the full range. The second is filtered at 1kHz to emphasize the focus on that "papery" or "crinkly" quality I spoke of earlier. I'll post the link to the soundcloud. You can download from SC as well.

And the DropBox:

Problem with DB. One moment. No DB at the moment so if you want to hear it use SC.

UltraRes is 170 ms.

Curious about this too. Isn't it more accurate to say that UR is derived from 170 ms files? I thought there was analysis done on UR files that showed they were about 40 seconds. A 20 ms IR followed by a 20 ms reverb tail or something of that nature. If you could explain this in any further detail I'd love to hear it, unless of course it divulges some proprietary information.

A detailed view on the identical nearfield AKG C414 IR from upcoming Axe-Fest Cab-Pack at four different resolutions:

1024/21ms (Normal Res) - 2048/42ms (High-res) - 8160/170ms (Ultra-Res) - 24000/500ms (.wav)

public.php

For the record, I never meant to say one or the other sounds like shit or significantly better than the other. Is using the cab block an absolute deal breaker? No. Not really. Obviously there are lots of prime recordings where people are using the cab block. But on a personal level, I do hear a difference and I prefer the way I'm doing things now. I figured posting this would give alternatives to anybody feeling the same way is all.

But remember - just as one can "think" themselves into hearing two things as different, you can also "think" your way into believing things sound exactly the same. It's all a matter of perspective.

The following dropbox link illustrates what I hear as the difference between the two methods. The first part of the clip is full on, the second part is filtered at 1kHz. The signal chain is as follows:

Guitar -> Green Rhino drive/boost -> Axe-fx II -> FAS MODERN -> Spdif -> Saffire Pro -> firewire -> Logic Pro X.

Each track has Slate VCC on it, a bit of standard filtering and a touch of subtractive EQ, and the buses have Slate Virtual Bus. The master output has Ozone's limiter. The only difference between the two sets is one is the long IR and one is the signal from the Axe-fx II with a UR cab. Both are recorded with the same IR: OH Mesa Standard Modern Raw 03. The first half is the full range. The second is filtered at 1kHz to emphasize the focus on that "papery" or "crinkly" quality I spoke of earlier. I'll post the link to the soundcloud. You can download from SC as well.

And the DropBox:

Problem with DB. One moment. No DB at the moment so if you want to hear it use SC.

I hear a clear difference. Much more than I should. The first clip sounds like a highpass filter is engaged. I would check all your settings and make sure you haven't inadvertently put a highpass in somewhere.

Another possible suspect are these "truncated" files. Why are you using truncated files? You should use the same exact wave file that you load into your DAW. Just drop it into Cab-Lab and convert it to an UltraRes file.

Even when i click the mouse in the middle of the four examples one after the other so the sound is continuous and unbroken, and at the same point in each (the best way to detect a difference) i could not tell any difference. I'm referring to the Detch examples.

Last edited:
I hear a clear difference. Much more than I should. The first clip sounds like a highpass filter is engaged. I would check all your settings and make sure you haven't inadvertently put a highpass in somewhere.

Nope. It's literally recorded one after another. The only difference is one is using an IR loader and one is the UR file for the Axe-fx II.

Nope. It's literally recorded one after another. The only difference is one is using an IR loader and one is the UR file for the Axe-fx II.

You're using the wrong files. I just downloaded the free pack from OH. The truncated files are only 24 ms.

Also, there are highpass and lowpass filters in the cab block. It is possible that you've got the highpass turned on and don't realize it.

Another possible suspect are these "truncated" files. Why are you using truncated files? You should use the same exact wave file that you load into your DAW. Just drop it into Cab-Lab and convert it to an UltraRes file.

Woah, nice. I thought files that were too long were truncated in CabLab! Good to know they aren't!

Wait wait wait. You're saying that when I use files specifically made to be turned into UR files in cab lab, it's truncating them down to 24 ms?

No, you said you were using the "truncated" files from the OwnHammer folders. I just checked and those files are only 24 ms long. To take advantage of UltraRes you need files that are at least 170 ms. Just load the same exact file you loaded into your DAW into Cab-Lab. Make sure you select UltraRes as the output file type and then convert it.

You're using the wrong files. I just downloaded the free pack from OH. The truncated files are only 24 ms.

Also, there are highpass and lowpass filters in the cab block. It is possible that you've got the highpass turned on and don't realize it.

No I make sure the filters aren't engaged in the cab block when I do use them because I don't like the way they effect the curves. I only record so it's much easier for me to filter in DAW.

Also, are you sure I should be using 500 ms files for conversion to UR? Because I actually spent a while doing that and my sounds were pretty much totally jacked up. They weren't truncating right and it wasn't until I shared a cab I made with a fellow beta tester a while back that we'd realized how seriously messed up they were. Once I started using the wav files created specifically for the Axe-fx II things got a lot better. But I'm still experiencing the differences shown here.

No, you said you were using the "truncated" files from the OwnHammer folders. I just checked and those files are only 24 ms long. To take advantage of UltraRes you need files that are at least 170 ms. Just load the same exact file you loaded into your DAW into Cab-Lab. Make sure you select UltraRes as the output file type and then convert it.

That's odd. I'm going to wait to hear back from Kevin because I'm pretty sure that's not the case. I'm absolutely of the impression they are 200 ms files.

To clarify... because it will make life easier... I can throw any length IR into CabLab and it will not truncate? Or will it truncate to 170ms? Or is there a more advanced process going on?

Thanks! Now I have to get to the studio and check this out! haha

Back
Top Bottom