Why do we need an input level control?

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
Sorry if this seems like a noob kind of question. I'm not a noob to the Axe... Had my Ultra for three years and been gigging with it for two of them so I know how to use the input level controls. However, I don't understand why the Axe needs these. A typical guitar amplifier has no such control. Whether you use a Strat, a Les Paul or a high output, active-pickup loaded axe of death, you just plug in and play. No one who uses a normal guitar amp seems to have a problem with this. What is the significance of input level controls?

My guess is it has to do with the fact that amps are analog and the Axe is digital. If the signal is too hot you can get digital clipping which isn't pleasant sounding. If its too low the perhaps the signal is too low compared to the noise floor? It think it has been provided to optimize the level in the A/D converter.

Technically you don't *need* it but the better optimized the A/D, the better the S/R ratio.

Technically you don't *need* it but the better optimized the A/D, the better the S/R ratio.
S/R ? or S/N? I don't know R
icon11.png

Couldn't this be done automatically maybe? or would that kind of deal introduce more niose :?
If setting the input level was automatic, you'd hit the amp sim with the same level every time, no matter what. Rolling off your guitar's volume knob would do nothing, and you'd have no pick dynamics.

Back
Top Bottom