Whose tone do you want?

Hate to be "that guy" - but my own. I've spent ages getting to a point where I'm very happy with my tones, and can get them across a ton of different gear with reasonably little effort.
IDK, I think this is most people! but you have to ask yourself how did I get to my tone? It's no different that licks are runs or technique it's have all been borrowed and I think tone can fit in this category.

The tone you settle on at that particular time is the tone you like! A good bet it will be different in a few years! We guitar players get board! Just like Eddie always fiddling with something to change it up!

That tone is just incredible, more so on the studio version. I always thought it was a fuzz tone. I kicked a ton of fuzz pedals out the door chasing Ron Wood's tone from this song. I love the box set from, "The Faces."
Could be a direct tone. Straight into the desk. Was a very accepted practice in those days. Rolling Stones, Steely Dan, come to mind. Really bites.

Puts your headphones on, turns 'm up and gives it a minute or three.
2:54 Still gives me goosebumps. So does 3:12...

If you turn it off before the end you're dead to me.

Jeff Porcaro on drums. Still miss the dude. Oops. John Robinson. Not Jeff, but still, a very good drummer. And I still miss Jeff.

Last edited:
but you have to ask yourself how did I get to my tone?
Yeah it is totally fair to ask that. I think I have a slightly different experience to a lot of guitarists. When I was a child, I wasn't interested in guitar, or even guitar bands really. I didn't start to learn to play guitar until I was 19 years old; quite late compared to all of my friends and a lot of people I've spoken to about this topic. Most guitarists I've spoken to about this all started when they were between the ages of 9 and 15.

When I was in that age bracket, the music I was interested in was chiefly electronic. The Prodigy, Underworld, The Chemical Brothers, Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Autechre, Orbital, Plaid... acts like that were what I lived for.

So when I discovered guitar, I came at it from that mindset. Delay and reverb pedals were instantly a big thing for me, and to this day I still nerd out about them.

My amp knowledge was fairly limited, and my first valve amp was a 1960's PA valve head, which I just assumed would be good enough to plug my pedals into. It wasn't really. My first "proper" valve amp was a Laney VH100R, which I absolutely loved. I still own both of these amps to this day!!

But in terms of guitar tones.... my references are much much much later than most people's. Genuinely, when I heard Cradle of Filth, Tool, and Limp Bizkit as a teenager.... that was where my tonal concepts were found.

I do have a memory of seeing Radiohead play Top Of The Pops here in the UK when I was a proper youngling. I wasn't that fussed by it until Johnny Greenwood does the chuggo's in Creep... and that moment always sticks out in my mind as being the first time I thought guitar was cool.

All over the years his tone has always been a distinctive and powerful wall of sound that doesn't require keyboards or a second guitarist
Except that they did quite often use a keyboard player live going back to the Ozzy days.

But I agree that he's always had a great sound. I actually really like more modem sounds he got on Seventh Star, Eternal Idol, Headless Cross, etc...

Hate to be "that guy" - but my own. I've spent ages getting to a point where I'm very happy with my tones, and can get them across a ton of different gear with reasonably little effort.
If someone else had posted this thread, I might have given a similar answer.

Ultimately, for me though, that's sort of the culmination of my initial post: I'm always refining and tweaking "my tone" but I aspire for that to be the best elements of those that inspire me.

Except that they did quite often use a keyboard player live going back to the Ozzy days.

But I agree that he's always had a great sound. I actually really like more modem sounds he got on Seventh Star, Eternal Idol, Headless Cross, etc...
The 5th member of Sabbath
The keyboard player behind the stage.
Look up Geoff Nicholls

Tony’s massive sound also incorporates multi tracked guitars and Geezer’s playing style,
which is greatly underrated.

The 5th member of Sabbath
The keyboard player behind the stage.
Look up Geoff Nicholls

Tony’s massive sound also incorporates multi tracked guitars and Geezer’s playing style,
which is greatly underrated.
Exactly - Geoff was who I was thinking of.

And very true about Geezer - in some ways he is another guitarist!

In no particular order.
Lead tones: Andy Timmons, Allan Holdsworth, Eric Johnson, Allen Hinds, Scott Henderson, Michael Landau, Greg Howe.
Rhythm Tones (depends on context): EVH, Dean DeLeo, Frederik Thordendal, Mike Landau, John Mayer, Jeff Buckley, Prince, Pete Thorn

Too many to list but it's a starting point. Re-reading the list, I'm clearly all over the place :joycat:

In no particular order.
Lead tones: Andy Timmons, Allan Holdsworth, Eric Johnson, Allen Hinds, Scott Henderson, Michael Landau, Greg Howe.
Rhythm Tones (depends on context): EVH, Dean DeLeo, Frederik Thordendal, Mike Landau, John Mayer, Jeff Buckley, Prince, Pete Thorn

Too many to list but it's a starting point. Re-reading the list, I'm clearly all over the place :joycat:
Yes, I thought about Holdsworth since my last post, too!

Great list. :)

Back
Top Bottom