Who's the best guitar player of all time to you and why?

Isn't Frederick Thordendal the most 'metal' name EVER!?!?!?

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

That's for sure! He looks more metal than most too, he's got that misty trollvibe to him aswell:
Fredrik+Thordendals+Special+Defects+Fredrik+Thordendal+no+borders.jpg

fredrik-thordendal-660-80.jpg

There's a lot of players I admire, and not all of them are good at composition!

For electric

For sheer feel and expression, regardless of what material he's playing, I can't think of anyone better than Jeff Beck. He really has improved over the last 10 years even, he is following the path usually reserved for jazz players, getting better and better and better
I always love David Gilmour and Billy Gibbons too, so expressive.

For acoustic
Tony McManus at the minute - he lets the guitar sound like it should, lots of harmonic interplay between notes left ringing, I think fast lead-style playing on an acoustic usually suffers from lack of tone, and sounds better on an electric

he does acctually!
gilliam.jpg
Fredrik+Thordendals+Special+Defects+Fredrik+Thordendal+no+borders.jpg

After a second look, that's pretty spot on! The nose, the everything!

Last edited:
Everyone mentioned and Warren Haynes.

Just couldn't stand not mentioning Stevie Ray and Jimmy Page.

Last edited:
Johnny Boom Bats
Luca Brasi
Vinny "The Tulip"

oh, wait... this wasn't the "name your favorite mobster" thread...

my bad...

In my opinion you can determine a "best" and not just a "favorite" in this category. The answer is EVH, and there really isn't a close second.

Think about everything that goes into being a great player - in no particular order of importance:

1. Great technician - No one in the history of the instrument has generated more sheer "wow" factor than EVH. From the first note, everyone recognized this guy was an explosion of talent.
2. Originality - The taps, the dive bombs, the licks, etc. One of, if not the most, original, distinctive players ever.
3. Equipment - Here's where EVH is number one by a huge, huge distance. From the development of the Floyd Rose down to the simple little D Tuna. He created the most famous guitar of all time: the original super strat.
4. Tone - The Brown Sound. Nuff said.
5. Stage presence - That goofy smile hid the fact that the dude is basically a dick. No one's ever looked cooler playing guitar.
6. Influence - Does anyone remember that for one year in the 80's (87?) KRAMER was the highest selling guitar brand? There's only one reason for that. Everybody was dive bombing and tapping on super strats to the point of nausea. When you think about it, EVH caused the '91 Grunge movement, because his influence over style and songwriting was so great, it caused a tipping point of over-saturation.
7. Songwriting - He was the lone real songwriter in the band. No need to list the songs because we all know them.

When you add up all the factors, its a surprisingly easy choice in my opinion. I've got other players that I enjoy more as "favorites", but there's only one objective best, and that's EVH. If he had died in 1989 we wouldn't even be having the conversation. It would be a universal given.

OK-I have favorites and you guys probably have heard of one of them-maybe. Ry Cooder-Best slide guitar player in the universe-Think the crossroads movie-the slides all Ry. Next is Jeff Golub-Mainly Jazz, but toured with many big names as lead guitarists.
He can play ANYTHING-period

Ok here goes........in no order.

Jake E Lee
Richie Kotzen
Steve Vai
Gary Moore
Jeff Golub
John Sykes
Doug Aldrich
Guthrie Govan,Alex Hutchings and Andy James
Lee Ritenour
EVH
Reb Beach

In no particular order:

Shawn Lane
Wayne Krantz
John McLaughlin
David Grissom
Eric Johnson
Frank Gambale
Joyce Cooling
Lyle Workman
Marco Sfogli
Paul Brown
Ray Montford
Sonny Landreth
Chet Atkins
Brent Mason
Larry Carlton
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
Pat Metheny
Jimmy Herring
Phil Keaggy
Tommy Emmanuel
and (of course)
Me

Why?

Because I like 'em.

'nuff said.

(probably left a few out)
I like this list. I've even played with a couple of those guys.

My current favorite is Adam Rogers. But so many are "the best" in their own ways. Shawn Lane did this Pakistani guitar thing that I've never heard anyone else do before or since. So yeah, at that AT LEAST he's the best I've heard. John Stowell has a remarkable modern harmonic concept I'e never heard form anyone else. There are so many inspirational players.

If I would have to pick up one, the best guitarist is Steve Vai.

On top of my favourites list: Steve Lukather, EVH, Joe Satriani, Frank Marino, Steve Stevens, Hendrix, SRV, Guthrie Govan, Frank Gambale, Andy McKee, Andy Timmons

For me, hands down the gentle genius Shawn Lane. His improvisations with Jonas Hellborg could transport me to far away places. This guy could take any style and play it as good as the master of the style. His recordings with the Indian group were really amazing. Check out some of his stuff on youtube.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

My current favorite is Adam Rogers. But so many are "the best" in their own ways. Shawn Lane did this Pakistani guitar thing that I've never heard anyone else do before or since. So yeah, at that AT LEAST he's the best I've heard. John Stowell has a remarkable modern harmonic concept I'e never heard form anyone else. There are so many inspirational players.

I love Adam Rogers, too. I love the band with Chris Potter, Craig Taborn and Nate Smith...monsters all. I'll have to check John Stowell. Players with fresh harmonic perspectives tend to rate high in my book so long as I can make some sense of it for myself.

There's a CD, the name of which I can't remember. It's a Michael Shrieve CD and half is with Shawn Lane/Jonas Hellborg and half Bill Frisell/Wayne Horowitz. As much as I respect Shawn Lane, it's just too many notes for me. The Frisell/Horowitz part of the CD I absolutely love. It's a darker edgier side of Frisell that you don't hear so much of on recording these days, but it still comes out live.

+1 on so many inspirational players on guitar and beyond.

gotta say my idol growing up was Randy Rhoads. i am amazed we are coming up on 30 years that he has been gone

where and when i gre up you were either in the EVH camp or the Randy camp

i was in the Randy camp

Back
Top Bottom