Who Wants to Test Some New Firmware? (12.03 Beta 5 UPDATE)

Hi,

I just updated to the new beta and I noticed three odd things:

1. When scrolling though the presets, after scrolling though 50 or 100 presets, the display freezes & won't pass audio- I need to reboot the unit in order to hear anything or scroll or edit a preset.
2. Upon reboot, the unit display is defaulting to displaying the first effects block in the preset that the unit was on at the time the unit froze.
3. Upon scrolling again, randomly, the unit will stop scrolling and show the first effects block in the preset taht it decides to randomly stop on.

Did anybody else experience this lately with the new firmware beta?

Do you need any other info to help troubleshoot this?

Best,
Bonkers

Mike, you have to open Axe Edit, then click on the settings...then preferences....then refresh, then refresh block definitions.

Wait for that process.

Then you should see all the new stuff.

You won't see the knobs or buttons for the new Squish features in the amp advanced tab. The Axe Edit guys have to put the knobs or buttons on the screen in a new update.

But you will see the new amp models and dimension d in drop down lists for those effect blocks, as listed in the release notes.

Now, this is provided, you can edit the chorus block and see dimension d as one of your chorus types - which confirms you updated properly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Rod :)

Dr bonkers:

If you are sure this bug occurs in beta version 4 maybe you should post it in the bug section too.
If this behaviour occurs on the same presets maybe they are faulty.
Then you try to replace them with some factory presets after you have saved them on your computer first in case they were not faulty.

Last edited:
It is happening with factory presets as I scroll through. I only have eight original or downloaded presets. The unit has not stopped on them yet and froze.

It is kind of random when the freezing occurs. The unit is not freezing or displaying the random preset first effect block after a specified amount of time as far as I can tell when I try to time the phenomenon with a watch.

the file for the firmware I downloaded & loaded using Fractal Bot according to the release notes pdf is axefx2_12p03beta4.syx

I did not want to get Cliff upset and double post this in the bugs section too, since the beta is not an official release yet.

Last edited:
No, but that doesn't mean this isn't a real problem.

Can you dump your banks and the system settings from your unit and post? You can PM a link to them to me or someone else on the beta team. Let us know if you're using custom presets, especially presets with Tone Match blocks in them, in your banks or if these are the factory banks.

Edit: I just tried rapidly scrolling through all the presets on my hardware and it didn't lock up. Did it forward and backwards through all the presets a few times.

Are you running the latest factory banks? You can get them here: http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/11.0/V11_Factory_Presets.zip

PM'ing on this forum does not seem to allow me to post the files.

I have them in my dropbox. If someone on the beta team can PM their e-mail details to me, I will grant them access to my DropBox with the files.

I am wary to replace all the factory banks until we can troubleshoot why the unit was working well with the 8 custom presets and 3 custom ir's up until the point I updated to the beta firmware.

Thanks again everybody for the help.

Dr. B.

Last edited:
Wait, does that mean that every amp in the Axe-fx is now MIMICed, or just the ones currently added? Because I was under the impression that certain amps are still based on circuit schematics (for example the Energyball) without properly MIMICed counterparts (as is the case with Das Metal and Dizzy VH4).

MIMIC does not mean "profiled", "tone matched" or guessed etc

It is a process where the modelled amp is made to react in the same way as the real amp, the interactions of the controls MIMIC the real thing.

Eg if you set the gain to 5 and treble to 6 on the axe FX II it should sound the same as the MIMIC'd real amp. Where as before it might have been 3 and 9.

It is another step to get the models as close to the real thing as possible.

It is a process where the modelled amp is made to react in the same way as the real amp, the interactions of the controls MIMIC the real thing.

Eg if you set the gain to 5 and treble to 6 on the axe FX II it should sound the same as the MIMIC'd real amp. Where as before it might have been 3 and 9.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.In that sense, the Rectos are spot on. So are the Peaveys.

I am sceptical however. For example, if the Energyball, which I mentioned in my previous post, is MIMICed like so, why do so many people report it is undergained? Why doesn't it have a high mids and low mids knob like the real Powerball? Are the two knobs integrated in the Mid knob of the Axe-fx? Or is this model and other pre firmware 10 models (i.e. models before the introduction of MIMIC) just an approximation like the Das Metal?

I would just like to know which models are true to the real amp and which aren't. With all the constant firmware updates I am getting the feeling the lines have been blurred. Or maybe it was clarified and I just missed it. In that case, pardon me.

Hey

Sounds like axe edit problem. When I use that old axe edit ,and then scrolling presets it will freeze and cure is reboot axe. And that's happened only ,when I scrolling some presets witch have lots off stuff going on. Whitout axe edit engage it works like it should work no problem at all.

Hi,

I just updated to the new beta and I noticed three odd things:

1. When scrolling though the presets, after scrolling though 50 or 100 presets, the display freezes & won't pass audio- I need to reboot the unit in order to hear anything or scroll or edit a preset.
2. Upon reboot, the unit display is defaulting to displaying the first effects block in the preset that the unit was on at the time the unit froze.
3. Upon scrolling again, randomly, the unit will stop scrolling and show the first effects block in the preset taht it decides to randomly stop on.

Best,
Bonkers

It is happening with factory presets as I scroll through. I only have eight original or downloaded presets. The unit has not stopped on them yet and froze.

It is kind of random when the freezing occurs. The unit is not freezing or displaying the random preset first effect block after a specified amount of time as far as I can tell when I try to time the phenomenon with a watch.

the file for the firmware I downloaded & loaded using Fractal Bot according to the release notes pdf is axefx2_12p03beta4.syx. I did not want to get Cliff upset and double post this in the bugs section too, since the beta is not an official release yet.

I've had the preset freezing problem since installing v 1202,but haven't noticed the others. It only freezes on factory presets and at different places,not only on the same presets) I did a complete Reinstall (clean system file , reinstalled FW , Factory patches, reset again and manually put my system configuration back in. seemed to stop it for a while,but it's back again! (On 1203beta 4 now) Has never froze on my personal presets , only factory!!!

I've had the preset freezing problem since installing v 1202,but haven't noticed the others. It only freezes on factory presets and at different places,not only on the same presets) I did a complete Reinstall (clean system file , reinstalled FW , Factory patches, reset again and manually put my system configuration back in. seemed to stop it for a while,but it's back again! (On 1203beta 4 now) Has never froze on my personal presets , only factory!!!

Interesting. It is the same with me. Also, it does not happen when Axe Edit is closed, only when AF2 unit is hooked up to the computer via USB and Axe Edit is launched.

I think we found the cause.

Did anybody else notice this behavior?

I did a complete Reinstall (clean system file , reinstalled FW , Factory patches, reset again and manually put my system configuration back in.

If you did put external IRs into slots 51-99, the procedure above won't have cleared those.

Interesting. It is the same with me. Also, it does not happen when Axe Edit is closed, only when AF2 unit is hooked up to the computer via USB and Axe Edit is launched.

I think we found the cause.

Did anybody else notice this behavior?

Yes, it's because Axe-Edit is running. You can't use the front panel controls when Axe-Edit is running. Use the preset picker in Axe-Edit to change presets when it's running, not the scroll wheel.

Same here.

No FXL in patch. Using Input 1 L via front panel. Output 2 Echo set to "Input 1". Output 2 Mode set to "Stereo". Cable ran from Output 2 L to my Fireface.

I'm not seeing/hearing input at all on my Fireface.

Can someone please confirm that this feature works?

In case anyone searching finds this post, I wanted to share the solution: Turn up to output 2 volume

Thanks to iaresee for the reminder. :)

It's one way of beta testing, but it's not the one right way. A real beta test is a rigorous shakedown. New features are thoroughly tested. Old features are verified. There are formal test cases that must be exercised,and there's a comprehensive formal reporting process and a tight schedule you have to keep. A real beta test is a lot of hard and boring work--much more involved than just tossing out the software and seeing what happens.

As cool as it is to get a chance to play around with beta software, I'm glad there's still a dedicated beta team.

Agreed. The public testing is perhaps a useful supplement to formal beta testing, but is obviously completely uncontrolled, not repeatable, etc.

Does anyone know if new Preset Banks are on the way? It would be great to feature the newer amps as I have no idea what some of them should sound like.

Thx

It's a combination of all those things. It's very similar to profiling except that you get authentic drive/vol/tone/etc. controls rather than just a snapshot. Please read the MIMIC paper on our website for more information.

Back
Top Bottom