Which Pick Do You Pick

I'd like to try a few of the v-picks but the price puts me off tbh. Why are they so expensive??

They cost more than the stuff you buy at Musician's friend, no doubt about that. I have been playing Dunlop 207's and 208's for many, many years. I had the same thought regarding price. I tried a few V-Picks anyway. I absolutely LOVE those picks. The claims about better grip, etc are true. I play V-Picks exclusively now. There is a wide variety of them, for many player's tastes. The V-Picks last and last. Different ones give different tones, so I use a few for the sound, not just the playability. IF you want to test the waters, try the Tradition. It is the size of the usual Fender pick, but thicker and has a great bevel on it. I greatly prefer the uber thick picks, so I use the Tradition for some songs, but mostly use the way thick (4.10 and 5+mm thick) picks. The Tradition is only $3.99. Within a few hours of using the V-Pick, my right hand technique had noticeably improved. Well worth a few dollars to me. I am not an endorser. I just really like the V-Picks. I suggest you call Vinny, and chat with him. He is a great guy. I get great service, and a great pick.

Purple Tortex 1.14mm standard, or a blue Herdim if I want that U2 'Edge'.

The JazzIIIs seem to be very popular here. I have some on order, gonna give 'em a try.

I have used both of these, and not much else for...22 years...? As lame as it sounds, I started with the greens because some guitar magazine said that's what Jimmy Page and Slash use. I also like the 1.0mm blue ones...depends on my mood.

Dunlop 418P Tortex .88mm Green
Dunlop 418P Tortex 1.0mm Blue

However, after reading this thread, I'm thinking of insisting on something at least mildly respectable, like dragon bone, or maybe Justin Bieber fingernails.

I think I'm actually gonna be switching to the JP Jazz III's myself. I've been a V-Pick user for quite a while but these JP's are pretty awesome and I definitely prefer the note attack.

So after reading this thread I decided to give some V-Picks a try. Ordered 5 different types to test out.
Most were so-so until I grabbed the Venom pick... awesome...
Then I grabbed the Stiletto... wicked awesome... It's as if my favorite jazz stubby and JP pick bumped uglies and squirted out a mythical creature!

I have a hunch I will be ordering more of these :)

For all you V-pick dudes, give gravity a go. They are made from the same material, let you choose size, shape, colour, buffed or unbuffed edges (unbuffed is the way to go IMO), and have a grip hole option. The grip hole provides one of the best gripping surfaces I have come across on a pick (its as good as the grip on the wegens). With all the options, I've been able to make a pick that is hands down the best pick I have ever played!

Back in the late 90's a guy gave me some Clayton Acetel picks to try out. Fell in love with'em and been using them ever since.

Well, I tried a few types of Jazz III and really like the Ultex Jazz III. It could easily become my go-to pick.

Also tried the sample pack (7 assorted picks) from VPick. The attack when using these picks is a little more percussive than I normally like, but I can see where this might be useful to get certain tones. I won't be switching to VPicks exclusively, but will definitely want to have them around as an option.

Finally I tried some Tortex Pitch Black 1.14mm. I know these should feel exactly like the purple Tortex 1.14mm I have been using for ages, but they feel slightly different - less flexible.

Back
Top Bottom