Which Pick Do You Pick

I use V-picks mostly . I like Bb for jazz and Euro II for rock/pop/etc.

I also like blue Herdim picks, for the Edgy sound. They really sound different from other picks, just wish they were thicker. But i only use the wrong side of the pick and it doesnt feel so thin then.

Dunlop Big Stubby 3.0mm for electric
Dunlop Tortex 0.60mm for acoustic and 12-string stummy stuff
Dunlop Tortex 0.75mm for general acoustic stuff
Dunlop 500 2.0mm for acoustic soloing

Used V-picks and Red Bears and really loved them. Not very cheap, though.
Tried the Dunlop Ultex 1.4mm and liked them but they tend to get slippery when playing long and sweaty gigs.
Now I found my perfect pick and use the 1.5mm Jumbo Jazz Gripp-X by In Tune.

.60mm ... as small a teardrop shape as possible .... and yellow so I can find them again when I drop them. :)

I use .73mm as well but they aren't as satisfying when you chew them!

Another V-Pick guy here (medium, pointed, preferably glow in the dark)

About 7 years ago, I hung out with Vinni at the NAMM TGP breakfast. After asking me what I looked for in picks, he gave me about 6-8 different ones to try. I'm pretty sure he's made his money back off that free sample. :)

The new Petrucci's Jazz 3 are a bit bigger than my standard Jazz III's, not sure I can get used to them. Do like the polished tip though.

Dunlop Ultex. They give the perfect tone and feel great. When I grab any other pick now, the attack feels weird and the tone of the guitar is dull. First discovered on acoustic and they transfer right over to electric.

The new Petrucci's Jazz 3 are a bit bigger than my standard Jazz III's, not sure I can get used to them. Do like the polished tip though.

Just placed an order for these. I normally play Ultex Jazz IIIs. Sometimes I feel the Jazz III is just a bit too small for me, but "regular" Dunlop Ultex picks, Fenders, etc. feel too big, so maybe the JP will be juuuuuuust right. Hello, my name is Locks, Goldie Locks. :mrgreen :shock

Dunlop Jazz III for the win.

I played Fender Mediums for about 10 years. Went to see Steve Perry (Journey) on his solo tour in 1994. He had a 20 year old (we sang Happy Birthday to the kid that night at the show) no-name guitarist named Lincoln Brewster who was unfreakinbelievable that night. He ended his guitar solo right in front of me, and I gave him 2 thumbs up. He threw his pick at me. It was a Dunlop Jazz III BLACK. I went to the music store and bought a bunch of them. Also still have a Red one that is left over from a trip to the music store and that's the only kind they had. I grab it accidentally sometimes while I'm at home practicing, and they are too smooth. I like the embossed logo on the black ones that give it more grip. I struggled with pinch harmonics for about 30 days right after I switched from the Fender Mediums to the Jazz III's, but I have never looked back.

For acoustic, I usually play a extra light pick that is so thin, if you hold it up to the light, you can see through it. I don't know what they are - I've had zillions of them, and sometimes I break them. Eventually, they will run out, and I will have to figure out what they are and restock.

Incidentally, that 20 year old kid back in 1994, is now one of the highest selling Christian artists of all time and he is one of the guys on the Fractal Endorsees list, along side of others like Lifeson, Vai, Schon, etc....not too shabby.

Thanks Lincoln for the pick!!!! But I lost the one you threw at me, could you send me another one, buddy?

Dunlop Tortex Pitch Black 1.0mm

I use the 1.14mm (BIG difference! pfff :p) but this is the best pick i've tried ever. I tried the jazz III max grip but I could not stand the material.

When I did not have any more pitch blacks left I tried to get use to the standard red dunlop jazz III, but I found they had more of a clicking sound to them.

Now after trying all these fancy things such as the

V-pick (to me: horrible acoustic quality, it felt awful against the strings. super-clicky and imagine picking with a bottle-neck)

sikpik (not for me, I will never get used to it)

the dunlop pitch black 1.14mm is a total nobrainer. In my opinion :) they get more worn out so get a few when you buy em, but it's worth it for feel and grip.

Tortex is my favourite material for the ultimate "pick against strings-feel" and a good grip, even in nervous concert-situations where your hands feel like jelly :)

I tried the Petrucci pick after hearing about them here. Only thing I like about them is the smooth polished edge. Ultex jazz III are still my favorite. The attack with them is very bright but you can compensate somewhat by picking technique.

Gonna pitch in with the Jazz III fanboys here, been playing the Ultex variety for the last 18 months now, really enjoying them. I need to try the JP signature variant.

As has been mentioned before "Pick Chirps" with V-Picks: I have a V-Pick Medium Lite and the harmonics it produces drive me crazy. Might be I have a weird angle for attacking the strings, but it's really really annoying.

Sometimes I use JD 1.5mm Tortex when I want to concentrate on different aspects of my picking. That's what Yngwie plays, so I reckon it should be good enough for me, too ;-) After playing the Tortex for a bit, coming back to the Ultex Jazz 3 feels like I'm risking warp core meltdown, since they're so tiny and light...

so long
Andreas aka Ace

Back
Top Bottom