Which Dumble style amp models do you like best?

Lkdog

Power User
Full disclosure- never played any of them.
Just been trying the modeled ones in the AXE 2 XL.

Which do people like best for the mythical D tone and feel for low gain and the thicker gain sounds?

I kind of prefer the BLUDOJAI and TWO STONE J35 out of the box for the chewy gain, but have been trying the
ODS-100 variants more lately.
For some reason the Fox ODS requires more tweaking to get a sound I like.

Oh man, I love the Fox.. but also the Two Stone & Bludo as well & the Wrecker Express. Komet 60 too & of course the Dumbles.
Not a fan of the Ruby though.
Other amps that I can't recall fit in the Dumble type but I find have outstanding expressive qualities would be the CAOD2, NuClearTone & the Suhr's

I use my own voicing using Cliffs ODS and I change things up tubes eq filters..
have an original ultra phonic amp here which I duplicated into the axe its like a trainwreck sound to me.
But I mostly use the ods Cliff provided and I changed that into something else entirely..

I like the SSS sound as well as ODS rather yin yang Ods being darker in sound then the SSS.
But since Cliff included filters on all amps THANK YOU CLIFF I was able to make my own SSS sound
which is voiced off my guitars which are at 100 ibanez at the moment.

To approximate an SSS sound turn the bass off entirely off Cliffs ODS and experiment with filters and tubes
and eq.

Its honestly better for each person to do that on their own with their gear and use their own ears to dial that in
because everyone is different and has different gear guitars touch ect...

The other D style amps listed in AXE are clones so I dont consider them to be accurate at all
after owning the HPD and finding out that amp sounds nothing like EJS #5 at all knowing full well
they dont use 12 ax7 tubes and the voltages nor the parts were anything close.

I believe another member donated his amp to be used for the base model of the fox amp
thats a clone .. Last time I checked Ford did not allow someone to de goop his Dumble
to make them on the market in mass production out of Colorado...

So how that claim can be made also like the SSS HPD claim is simply beyond me.
I think $ does strange things to people its greedy and dishonest to make those claims to take felony amounts of cash
off people..

Thats not directed at Cliff either... The entire reason I bought the axe fx ii was to Tone Match my amps.
So it has done all ive asked of it to do..

The only thing better I could think of is if it looked like Debra Jo Fondren and could make me dinner every night
but lets be realistic....

:)

I'm working with the Ford 1 but running it pretty clean right now. Digging it. It's bigger sounding but still quite tight in the low ends. Very interesting mids. Haunting...

Clone or not, I prefer the Bludo with my LP. Has the touch and texture I'm looking for. Although I liked the ODS with the original factory IR's. For me, there's some magic missing from the new IR's. Would be great if those original mixes were included in the cab pack.

I'm a big fan on the ods-100 hrm. Any time I've experimented with any of the others, I'll re audition this one and then think... 'why have I been wasting my time tweaking these other dumbles?'

Well, this stuff goes deep. Each amp / channel has a unique character and capabilities you won't get from any of the others. They are also twitchy beasts in terms of dialing them in: Input Trim, Input Drive, Overdrive and Master Volume all interact in an exasperating infinity of possible combinations. I've also tweaked them under the hood regarding preamp bias and hardness, sag, etc. and tailoring the speaker resonance. Well worth the journey.

For open, dimensional cleans the ODS-100 is king, and it breaks up nice too.

The ODS-HRM sounds, feels and rocks like EL34s, and excels at all manner of breaking up and thick muscular lead tones, and a chewy crunch as well in a variety of low-mid dirgey-grindy ways. Marshall Plexi fans (and who isn't) should find it gratifying.

The Ford 2 has an extensive range of overdriven and distortion tones with that mid-range clarity of 6L6 amps. This is where the Dumble tones I associate with recordings can be approximated.

The Fuchs feels and sounds more tight and focused - it might be heard in a crowded mix best (?)

The Bludojai has a specific crunch quality that barely smooths out at high gain for leads and doesn't clean up at lower gain. Certainly usable, but doesn't seem much like a Dumble.

Presets with a ton of versatility I play a lot:
Preset 1 X: ODS-100 Clean Y: ODS-HRM
Preset 2 X: Ford 2 Y:ODS-HRM

These are good candidates for using scene controllers to set up different gain combinations: Scene Controller One for Input Gain and Controller 2 for Overdrive. The per scene volume adjustments in the Output section make it easy to balance the output levels.

Last edited:
Do the models handle the HRM part of an HRM model properly? But that, I mean that the HRM is essentially a second tone stack that's active when the OD "channel" is on. I don't see how the model addresses that.

This is what my ODSR was made from 183...
I requested D reverb on mine.. waited a year for that amp.....
Then we put better glass in it and wound up finding the rest of the known D parts
installed those here and locked the amount of voltage the amp sees..

Tag paid 55k for 183 then had Shad Damron fly out to Jersey degoop it and take measurements and charted
the voltages out and made notes on every part they were able to locate all but one part
which was not evidently too tone crucial..

So Tag wound up getting two amps one 6l6 version and one el34 version
he sold the amp for 10k less but traded for some nice guitars and cash so
he broke even and got two amps out of the deal..

He was banned from most of the forums for being outspoken about it.

Right after I got mine a few months later old Shad took in about 100 grand of other peoples money
and vanished...

The person that came to my home and "helped" me out ahem
also skipped out with alot of peoples money thats whats known as mail fraud..
and the part about sharing information without my permission at all with other amp builders
regarding an HPD 150 amp thats whats known as conspiracy to commit fraud and take advantage
of an estate across state lines..

You have two builders one on boston the other Jersey right now who are guilty as Soros involved in that
plot right now and they are building a copy of sss 005 right now and taking peoples cash through the US MAIL
RIGHT NOW..
AMP NATION AND WELLEGAN AMPS

real stand up guys that should be standing up in prison somewhere right now...
God will handle them though..

Im real real real lucky to have ever taken ownership of any amp from Quinn amps
I bought two from him actually sold the other one and ordered the 183/002 amp
only mine had reverb winds up I paid extra for that and like plate verb better..
I then duplicated that sound in the axe and like the way that plate verb sounds
even better then a real lexicon verb with the tube amp..

round and round we go
crooks run free and the good suffer

upside down world

Do the models handle the HRM part of an HRM model properly? But that, I mean that the HRM is essentially a second tone stack that's active when the OD "channel" is on. I don't see how the model addresses that.

HRM = HOT RUBBER MONKEY A clever way of saying hot rod marshall because thats what it is..
Keep in mind the ODS derived from a bassman and 50 watts at that..
Dumble changed some things up closer tolerance parts for one eventually changing transformers
and going to 100 watts..

Same thing Marshall did they took a tweed bassman then cloned that jtm 45
then the 50 came out about that time they said we can double that and make it 100
when 100s came out people flocked too those..

HRM is hot rod marshall he calls it hot rubber monkey mod to avoid using Marshall
also keep in mind Dumble was going to fender and buying parts transformers chassis boards
you name it then one day the GM or someone at fender looked at him coming in all the time and
noted how many times a week he was coming there so they essentially followed him to see what he was doing
and found out he was making Fender amps modifying them to sound better and using their parts to do so..

Dumble was given cease and desist orders and told your cut off stop what your doing now..
So then he found another company that had bought out alot of the overstock and started buying bulk
through them...

Pirates and bootleggers are a filthy lot and we should not do anything that would help them
so please do not share any of the information you might see inside a Dumble amp with anyone..

BWAHAHAHAHHAHA PLOOK ME RUNNING SIDEWAYS HE IS THE BIGGEST PIRATE OF THEM ALL.

Excuse me while I paraphrase :
In most amps the tone controls are before the overdrive stage. In HRM models the tone controls are after the overdrive stage.

The post OD tonestack on Dumble like amps also allows one to tweak the tone of the OD making the switch back and forth from clean to OD more usable for some folks tastes. Especially those wanting a more sparkly clean tone and a very smooth, non-buzzy OD tone.

It's what Howard Dumble named it.
Hot Rubber Monkey is the correct name.

As mentioned before, it is for fine tuning the overdrive tone.
The clean stage feeds into the overdrive stage.
The clean stage has front panel TMB controls and will also affect the OD stage.
The HRM trimmers are located on a small daughter board inside the amp.
You simple dial in your front panel TMB then adjust the trimmers inside for the OD tone.

In some newer models (1990s to present), the overdrive stages are followed by a passive tonestack (treble , middle and bass), which is adjustable using trimmer potentiometers inside the amplifier. This is known as the "Hot Rubber Monkey" (HRM) modification (these amplifiers are voiced for the overdrive channel to be used with the preamplifier boost engaged). Most players use three tones: clean, clean with boost on, and overdrive with boost on.
The "Skyliner" EQ refers to a newer (mid-1980s to present) way of voicing the tonestack. It is said to provide a better clean tone than the earlier voicing of the tonestack. Some lower serial number amps have been retrofitted with this EQ.
The so called "Robben Ford Mod" (terminology used by DIY-hobbyists) refers to using a power resistor instead of a choke in the power supply in order to induce more "sag" in the amplifier.

Last edited:
Reactions: SJB
In HRM models the tone controls are after the overdrive stage.

Is that true? My understanding is that the front panel BMT are pre-overdrive and the HRM tone stack is post overdrive. That seems to be the way that my clone works; the front panel BMT is active on both the clean and the OD modes (probably a better word than "channel").

One thing I have noticed with my clone. You need to adjust the HRM trim pots at the volume you're intending to use the amp. The OD tends to get darker at lower volumes. Not so much the clean tone, though.

Is that true? My understanding is that the front panel BMT are pre-overdrive and the HRM tone stack is post overdrive. That seems to be the way that my clone works; the front panel BMT is active on both the clean and the OD modes (probably a better word than "channel").

One thing I have noticed with my clone. You need to adjust the HRM trim pots at the volume you're intending to use the amp. The OD tends to get darker at lower volumes. Not so much the clean tone, though.

I dont know who built your clone so I dont know what they were looking at..

HRM is a hot rubber monkey mod or hot rod marshall. I think Dumble makes a nice smurf sandwich and on top of the
goo he puts another board with small trimmers on it INSIDE the amp.. I call them DONT trimmers cause you start messing with them
you will screw the balance of the amp up..

But yes the paraphrased part of what I posted others mentioned the volume had alot to do with how things sounded...

What most miss entirely is the voltage going into the amp They are too be ran at specific voltages
I was told they were made at 125 but then adjusted down where they sounded better...

I note R. Ford uses a variac thats for the Dumble and it keeps the voltages exactly where they need to be..

On my ultra extra tubes came with the amp they were rated on the box the clue was sitting there the entire time
but I need to chase my tail around awhile before I see whats right in front of my face..
Being a deplorable filthy lot that is..

hahahahaha

That might be the issue with my tube builds Im still not getting sound and Ive made two side by side
but its like the stand bye switch is just broken or something voltages are all correct just exactly too the original
but im not getting sound..

Someting wong..

I need to re record mine using the correct voltages and see how it sounds at that voltage and
then re match things inside the axe..

The utlra reminds me of the Trainwreck which is in the axe.. sounds very close...
The major difference being the clean side is better in my opinion..

Yes, I understand the HRM concept. The question still remains though, the ODS HRM has TWO active tone stacks when the OD mode is engaged. Do the AxeFX models emulate this in any effective way?

Back
Top Bottom