Which Dumble style amp models do you like best?

Yes, I understand the HRM concept. The question still remains though, the ODS HRM has TWO active tone stacks when the OD mode is engaged. Do the AxeFX models emulate this in any effective way?
I'm not sure it does, it be cool if you could switch the BMT between pre and post and have each of your settings saved.

I'm not sure it does, it be cool if you could switch the BMT between pre and post and have each of your settings saved.

I was wondering if maybe the GEQ in the amp block would fit the bill? Can you move it? Ideally, I think, you'd want it before the power amp section but after the drive????

Yeah. The Dumble ODS HRM has a tonestack after the clean preamp, and then the HRM tonestack after the OD section. The PAB switch bypasses the clean preamp tonestack, but the HRM tonestack is always engaged (when the OD is active). I'm not sure how you'd emulate that with the AxeFX. Maybe move the tonestack in the amp block back to just in front of the power amp, and then put a PEQ in front of the amp block?

Yeah. The Dumble ODS HRM has a tonestack after the clean preamp, and then the HRM tonestack after the OD section. The PAB switch bypasses the clean preamp tonestack, but the HRM tonestack is always engaged (when the OD is active). I'm not sure how you'd emulate that with the AxeFX. Maybe move the tonestack in the amp block back to just in front of the power amp, and then put a PEQ in front of the amp block?
I suppose if we knew the tapers. But then again am I to understand that the post "internal" pots aren't really meant to be messed with?

I suppose if we knew the tapers. But then again am I to understand that the post "internal" pots aren't really meant to be messed with?

As I understand it, Dumble got pissed off at a customer who, after dialing in a great tone in Dumble's shop, messed with the knobs when he got home and complained to Dumble. So the HRM tone knobs got moved inside, mostly to reduce the irritation to Dumble.

Whether or not that's true, you can drive yourself nuts twiddling the dials if there's too many of them. The same thing happens with the AxeFX. It's a bit of a pain taking the chassis out of the cabinet to get at the HRM daugher-board, and that seems to be deliberate. But the point is, you CAN set the OD tone to your preference, and set how it will interact with the clean tone.

Way back in the 70's, I had a 1964 Bandmaster that I had a technician mess with to push the output of the Vibrato channel into the input of the Normal channel. It was awesome, and part of the outcome was that I now had 4 tone knobs. Bass and treble before the first channel, and bass and treble before the second stage. This was a long, long time ago, but I do remember being impressed by how different the sound was depending on how you balanced out the tones pre/post distortion. The Dumble HRM gives you that kind of control.

I was wondering if maybe the GEQ in the amp block would fit the bill? Can you move it? Ideally, I think, you'd want it before the power amp section but after the drive????
Yes, you can move the Amp block's GEQ.

Back
Top Bottom