Where's the 1990s Great Music Thread On This Darn Forum??

The end of the 80s/"Hair Metal" era was great for music. It gave us something
different and a more diverse array of music to listen to, in my opinion.

Jake E. Lee left Ozzy (fired? whatever) and formed Badlands. Hell yeah!

Vivian Campbell was out of Whitesnake and The Riverdogs happened.

Sheehan's run in DLR was over and Mr. Big came about.

The end of era is really just about a rebirth and music not becoming too
stale, redundant, and repetitive.

The end of the 80s/"Hair Metal" era was great for music. It gave us something
different and a more diverse array of music to listen to, in my opinion.

Jake E. Lee left Ozzy (fired? whatever) and formed Badlands. Hell yeah!

Vivian Campbell was out of Whitesnake and The Riverdogs happened.

Sheehan's run in DLR was over and Mr. Big came about.

The end of era is really just about a rebirth and music not becoming too
stale, redundant, and repetitive.

You're going to yell at me :rolleyes::D But the post hair metal stuff in my opinion is some of the worst "pretend you don't know your strengths and commit to writing terrible songs outside of your stylistic wheelhouse" era there has ever been. Winger is awful. Mr. Big is time better spent x infinity listening to Eat 'Em and Smile and Racer X albums. Obviously; not a judgement on the musicianship because the talent is UNREAL in these bands. Off. The. Charts. But the songs were just awful.

The whole act like you weren't in a hair metal band when 4 years prior you were wearing eyeliner and borderline clown paint was a bazillion times worse than just owning up to it and kicking butt in the genre you were known for. Ratt being a perfect example. They don't have a grunge album.

Have you told you about how I don't like Extreme? :D
I was in Iraq and a coworker was learning to play 'More Than Words' on the guitar for his wife, I guess for when we returned home. I made the simple comment, "Have you ever really examined the lyrics?" It totally destroyed his desire to learn it! :p

I was never pretty enough to feel that some eyeliner would put me over the top into
drop dead gorgeous territory.

I was in Iraq and a coworker was learning to play 'More Than Words' on the guitar for his wife, I guess for when we returned home. I made the simple comment, "Have you ever really examined the lyrics?" It totally destroyed his desire to learn it! :p
He should have just shifted to that Mr. Big song with the tambourine! :cool:

You're going to yell at me :rolleyes::D But the post hair metal stuff in my opinion is some of the worst "pretend you don't know your strengths and commit to writing terrible songs outside of your stylistic wheelhouse" era there has ever been. Winger is awful. Mr. Big is time better spent x infinity listening to Eat 'Em and Smile and Racer X albums. Obviously; not a judgement on the musicianship because the talent is UNREAL in these bands. Off. The. Charts. But the songs were just awful.

The whole act like you weren't in a hair metal band when 4 years prior you were wearing eyeliner and borderline clown paint was a bazillion times worse than just owning up to it and kicking butt in the genre you were known for. Ratt being a perfect example. They don't have a grunge album.

If Stephen Pearcy and Bobby Blotzer is the bar being set I am pretty sure it won't be too hard to clear. ;)

I remember when the Stones and Kiss and more than a few others made their "Disco" albums. Trends can
sure be powerful forces. and certainly some set them and others follow them.

I try my best not to be too judgey unless it involves friends and family. ;)

Now where's my Flannel and Doc Martens?!?

He should have just shifted to that Mr. Big song with the tambourine! :cool:

I worked in music retail during the Extreme, Mr. Big, Firehouse era of the ballad. That was
when they used to sell the Top 100 singles on cassette (if anyone remembers that). During
that time a young 13 or 14 year old girl would come in, almost every day, and say, "Maybe
I should just get the whole CD instead?"

Being a bad salesperson I would try and talk them out of it. "They are not who you think
they are," I would tell them.

More than one didn't listen to me, and then like clockwork they would be back in the store the
next week wanting to return the CD. "There's only one good song on the whole thing!! Wah! I
should have just bought the single!!"

Yup. you should have. :)

I worked in music retail during the Extreme, Mr. Big, Firehouse era of the ballad. That was
when they used to sell the Top 100 singles on cassette (if anyone remembers that). During
that time a young 13 or 14 year old girl would come in, almost every day, and say, "Maybe
I should just get the whole CD instead?"

Being a bad salesperson I would try and talk them out of it. "They are not who you think
they are," I would tell them.

More than one didn't listen to me, and then like clockwork they would be back in the store the
next week wanting to return the CD. "There's only one good song on the whole thing!! Wah! I
should have just bought the single!!"

Yup. you should have. :)
Seriously. I just tried to watch the video on that d@mn song. Holy frigging barf :weary: My god yuck.

If Stephen Pearcy and Bobby Blotzer is the bar being set I am pretty sure it won't be too hard to clear. ;)

I remember when the Stones and Kiss and more than a few others made their "Disco" albums. Trends can
sure be powerful forces. and certainly some set them and others follow them.

I try my best not to be too judgey unless it involves friends and family. ;)

Now where's my Flannel and Doc Martens?!?
For the record; Pearcy is an abysmal singer compared to Martin, Kip (if the first name doesn't tell you anything lol) and certainly Cherone. Maybe I should see if I am wrong and acutally listen to Reach for the Sky, Detonator and the S/T? They might have changed more than I know I just gave up at the right time \m/

Back
Top Bottom