Where's the 1990s Great Music Thread On This Darn Forum??

For me, the 90s resembled the 70s more than the 80s. I feel it was a throwback era. Bands
went to the thrift store for actual clothes (not spandex and stage attire), and to the pawn shops
for all the old Strats and Fender Bassmans and Marshall Plexis that no one wanted because of
rack units and guitars with Floyds and pointy headstocks.

Nothing wrong with the cutting edge tech of the time, but I can sure sense a return to real amps,
stripped down production, and less bells and whistles. For me, that registered as more authentic
and closer to the music I grew up with in the 70s. But I still love it all. Probably too damn open-minded. :)

One of my fave under the radar bands from the 90s. I firmly believe they laid
groundwork for bands like Linkin Park that would combine the dual vocalist,
techno-inspired metal genre. And did it 10 years before it became such a popular
genre in rock/metal.

Yet Another side of 🇨🇦Neil Young🇨🇦 revealed in the 90s >>

Grandfather of Grunge!

Neil often appearing with Pearl Jam in the early / mid 90s - here in 93 performing Rockin' in the Free World (technically released late 89).

fyi - you'll have to click "watch on youtube" to view.

Last edited:
You do you and I'll have my steak!

Just a little side story, so I've got a really cute 5 y.o. girl and one day we're sitting at the table (you've got to picture the sweetest, cutest, most princess-type little 5 y.o. for this). She tells me (almost word-for-word), "Daddy, when I grow up I'm going to have a farm and raise pigs, then I'll kill one and get all the bacon out of it." I almost fell off my chair! 🥓
:p
I used to do slaughterhouse work and occasionally brought animals home to raise and kill in rural Bronx, NY. Brought home a young pig to get up to 60 lbs or so for a roast and my toddler daughter proclaimed "I'm gonna eat his tail"!

'Big Star' released 'The Ballad of El Goodo' in 1972. I've always preferred Evan Dando's version from 1995. I think maybe because I feel like his is a little more intimate throughout.

Last edited:
Metallica stuck to what they believed in. Dave certainly tried to copy. Youthanasia, Cryptic Writings and Risk were all late responses to what Metallica had just done.
Yes definitely, it seemed like Megadeth lagged behind a bit. I would say from interviews and such that it seems Dave Mustaine definitely spent a lot of time thinking about what Metallica was doing and had some resentment. I can't believe some of the rhythms either Hetfield or Mustaine play while singing though. Incredible talent!

Yes definitely, it seemed like Megadeth lagged behind a bit. I would say from interviews and such that it seems Dave Mustaine definitely spent a lot of time thinking about what Metallica was doing and had some resentment. I can't believe some of the rhythms either Hetfield or Mustaine play while singing though. Incredible talent!
all in, I'd take Megadeth over Metallica Metallica had better production but the Marty Friedman era was untouchable

OK I'll play but y'all aint gonna like it. Basically this is where I was in the 90s.

Winger rocked. It's a shame what happened to them all due to a cartoon episode. They were/are some really good musicians. I'll always remember an interview Kip Winger gave where he stated they could play Metallica's songs but not vice versa. I think that may have been in response to the revelation that Lars used to throw darts at a picture of Winger while recording 'Black'.

Last edited:
'Big Star' released 'The Ballad of El Goodo' in 1972. I've always preferred Evan Dando's version from 1995. I think maybe because I feel like his is a little more intimate throughout.

Where's the Lemonheads song, folloowed by the Juliana Hatfield?? :)

Back
Top Bottom