Where should I place pedal type delays in signal path?

Discussion in 'Rigs and Routing' started by Gene, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Gene

Gene
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Hi, I am working on a country guitar chicken pickin' patch. I am using the analog delay type, I think it is based on a pedal. I read somewhere that an analog delay pedal is best for country slapback.

What I am wondering is should a 'delay pedal' type block be placed in front of the amp like in the real world use of a pedal and an amp, any ideas?

Thanks

Gene

2. MrGuitarabuse

MrGuitarabuse
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

I would guess nothing is right or wrong. Test it! Pre amp, Post amp, heck even Post amp Pre Cab, anything is possible with this thing.
    Otherwise I am sure that some pickin´ experts can give some more detailed advice

iaresee likes this.
  3. simeon

simeon
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

as a general rule of thumb, if the amp is clean, then it can go in front or after. if the amp is in any way distorted, then place it after.

MrGuitarabuse and zecure like this.
  4. Gene

Gene
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Thanks all!!!

I have a patch built around the twin reverb vibrato channel, not the SF one. Beginning to sound good over studio speakers but will wait till I try it through a few FRFR and amps to see how it sounds. I'm thinking of getting an Atomic neo clr mkII, a review I saw states it great for setting tones with and no nasty surprises through PA at gigs thereafter, I guess provided the mixer channel you use is set flat too.

I use a wee Fender Excelsior with an Eminence 1518 15" fitted and I think I put TungSol pre tubes and JJ6V6 power tubes in it. It is very clean with lots of power, more like a power amp with a volume, no tone stack really, but it has a tone switch for bright and dark, I leave it dark. It always sounds great no matter what I feed into it so looking forward to putting Ax8 through it. I will leave all cabs , power amp processing running in the AX8 and see how it goes!

5. zecure

zecure
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

This.

6. simeon

simeon
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

having said that though...sometimes putting a delay in front of an amp that's on the verge of breakup can sound really cool. the edge does it all the time, of course

Rex likes this.
  7. Rex

Rex
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

So does everybody who runs a delay pedal in a traditional rig, no matter how much gain they're using. Because there's no other choice. ;)

8. simeon

simeon
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

if the amp doesn't have an fx loop ;) ;)

9. Rex

Rex
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

Even if it has an effects loop, the delay pedal is still in front of a gain stage—the power amp. ;)