Whats your favourite Greenback IR's?

One of my favorites is named 4x12 MAR1960AX-G12M25-G12H-30

But I don't know where it comes from 😅 I cannot find that file name at my IR folder

The most similar is the CabIR.eu MR-AX1960_G12M25 that @paranoid has mentioned above, but the name doesn't match

I've initiated an investigation to find out where is that IR coming from.

Using FracTool Cab>Presets utility I see that I am using that CAB at 26 presets. 25 of them are mine, except one preset named "FP - John Sykes JP2C" that was kindly shared by @Frank Pearl at this thread. But that preset is using "OH 412 MES-OS V70+V60 OH1-M+" from Ownhammer, so it is not the origin of that CAB, and I got his preset matched with the wrong CAB

I am curious to know where it comes from, and to see if there are more variations of the IR capture. Is the nomenclature familiar to anyone?

I've initiated an investigation to find out where is that IR coming from.

Using FracTool Cab>Presets utility I see that I am using that CAB at 26 presets. 25 of them are mine, except one preset named "FP - John Sykes JP2C" that was kindly shared by @Frank Pearl at this thread. But that preset is using "OH 412 MES-OS V70+V60 OH1-M+" from Ownhammer, so it is not the origin of that CAB, and I got his preset matched with the wrong CAB

I am curious to know where it comes from, and to see if there are more variations of the IR capture. Is the nomenclature familiar to anyone?
Seems like a Redwirez IR to me, but I'd have to double check my collection.

Weren't mid-70s era Marshall cabs loaded with Blackbacks.... not Greenbacks?
Good question, and I'd need to dig out the Doyle Marshall history book out to double check when things changed over. There were certainly G12M and H going well into the early 70s, and there were definitely Rola Celestions with Pulsonic cones too. Just talking black vs. green vs. grey plastic covers doesn't really identify the speakers - there were many different models with green backs.

The only Marshall 4x12 I own at them moment is a '78 1960A 300W loaded with G12T-75 speakers, and I haven't the slightest recollection what colour the plastic covers are, but like you say, they're not green - black if I remember right. I don't love them that much, if I had any sense I would have kept one of my early '70s cabs. I really miss the one with G12H30-75Hz greenbacks in it - Pulsonic cones too. Fortunately ML IRs of a similar cab are incredibly reminiscent, made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I first loaded one into an Axe FX III IR slot.

Liam

Mid '70s Marshall cabs of unknown model tend to sound pretty good. I'll check out those cabs. Maybe the whole Pulsonic/pre-Rola thing is a little bit overblown. ;)

Liam
Yep, that would be my ears saying, why not?
FAS-provided: 4x12 Pre-Rola GB 121 & 57s

One of my favorites is named 4x12 MAR1960AX-G12M25-G12H-30

But I don't know where it comes from. I cannot find that file name at my IR folder

The most similar is the CabIR.eu MR-AX1960_G12M25 that @paranoid has mentioned above, but the name doesn't match

I rescue this thread because I still have not found the IR file of the 4x12 MAR1960AX-G12M25-G12H-30 amongst my huge collection.

I am interested to find it because I want to use it on CabLab 4, and to get more variations from the that pack. I have mixed it at the Axe-FX with the new 1960TV DynaCabPack with great results

The main suspects are the Redwirez Marshall 1960 4x12 Celestion G12Ms pack and the CabIR.eu MR-AX1960_G12M25, but I cannot find it at these packs.

Unless the name of the IR loaded at the Axe-FX differs from the .syx file name. In that case it will be more complicated to find.

Last edited:
I rescue this thread because I still have not found the IR file of the 4x12 MAR1960AX-G12M25-G12H-30 amongst my huge collection.

I am interested to find it because I want to use it on CabLab 4, and to get more variations from the that pack. I have mixed it at the Axe-FX with the new 1960TV DynaCabPack with great results

The main suspects are the Redwirez Marshall 1960 4x12 Celestion G12Ms pack and the CabIR.eu MR-AX1960_G12M25, but I cannot find it at these packs.

Unless the name of the IR loaded at the Axe-FX differs from the .syx file name. In that case it will be more complicated to find.
That somehow looks familiar, but I cannot remember where from. I just checked through my OwnHammer Marshall collection, and it's not in there. I think my ML collection is in a desktop computer in the studio rather than this laptop, but will try to find, and I probably have some others.

Liam

For me, I keep going back to the OH 412 MAR-TV pack; generally the OH2-00 cab of the M25 (sometimes the H30).

I have a slew. I would be happy with any of:
Oh gnr mmmc
Oh classic rock essentials
Oh (r)evolution gnr75
Celestion greenback pack
Mirror profiles Green70 pack
Lancaster jmp pack
Sinmix rock pack
York m20/m25/kw/blk

The MEGA-GREEN pack by ML Sound Labs is quite unque and awesome. 57-C and 421-C blended together is an absolute god-send. On a related note, their Blackback pack is the same cab loaded with blackbacks and I find that to be much more "classic" sounding with Plexi-style amps.

The AX greenback cabs in the Factory bank is pretty killer, too!

The MEGA-GREEN pack by ML Sound Labs is quite unque and awesome. 57-C and 421-C blended together is an absolute god-send. On a related note, their Blackback pack is the same cab loaded with blackbacks and I find that to be much more "classic" sounding with Plexi-style amps.

The AX greenback cabs in the Factory bank is pretty killer, too!
I'm sure it's good, but ML's Pre-Rola PR Marshall bundle was recorded using some of the speakers that the Mega-Green speakers are copies of. I like it a lot, and have been using Mixes A of the G12M 55Hz and G12H 75Hz combined with one another for a few years now. I've just recently dug back into the original IRs. The bundle was on offer last time I looked.

My '74 is Greens.

Mainly were, but which Greens? At least 12 versions of 70s Greenbacks, ignoring impedance availability (pre-Rola had 25W "M", and 30W "H", both available in 75Hz and 55Hz guises). Early Rola pretty much the same, still using Pulsonic cones. Then somewhere around '73 cones changed to Kurt Mueller if I remember right. Black backs have higher power capability, and I think 65W and 75W formats. I have a quad of 65W black backs in a 1979 Marshall cab. They are not great, but better than the 75W to my ears. Never should have sold my 4x12 with early Rola G12H 75Hz and Pulsonic cones, but was a relief that the ML PR IR's sound "right" to my memory.

Liam

Back
Top Bottom