What's Your Favorite Songs From The 60's?

I highly recommend this doccumemtary of an outdoor show held
in Toronto in 1969. I'd seen various clips from this show before in other docs, but had no idea of the full story. Some great bits of early Alice Cooper, Chicago Transit Authority, John/Yoko Lennon with Eric Clapton, Doors, and the greats from the 50s. Some classic Canadian references like Chuck Berry paying his last minute assembled band by taking them across the street to Harvey's for lunch🤣. Narration is great from various players, and from some who were unknown at the time (Alice Cooper, articulate as always, and priceless commentary from Geddy Lee recounting his attendance at the show with John Rutsy in their teens both stoned out of their minds).

I don't think "The 60s" is a useful bracket.
I'd rather focus on categories like:

"Surf"
"British Invasion"
"R&B"
"Bubblegum"
"Folk Revival"
"Psychedelic"
"AOR"
etc.

Some of these stretch from the 50s or into the 70s.
Was uncertain which thread to put the documentary recommendation above since it was an interesting blend of 50s R+R (Gerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry...), 60s rock artists (Lennon, Clapton, Doors...), and, at that time relatively unknown 70s rock artists (Chicago, Alice Cooper).

But ya categories like you mention would be cool since there's a strong ongoing interest in such music threads here. Would be tough though as we've built up quite a nice existing catelogue of posts based on decade.

Last edited:
One my favorite Steppenwolf/60's tunes is "Snowblind Friend"...that song really hits me in the feels. A lament to those lost souls who've drifted apart from family and friends and had a hard, short life. I've known a few....

MY OPINION...Regarding Their Best... The Rolling Stones ("Paint It Black"). it's all down hill from there for them.
Great song pic! It's all good but I gravitate to the Mick Taylor years (69-74). His style/tone brought a heavyness that I really like compared to other stones eras. I also thought he breathed new life into older songs in live shows.

Last edited:
I saw that somewhere. They woke her up to bring her in to sing it in her nightgown and curlers in her hair. She blew the doors off that track.

I think it was in that 20 Feet from Stardom documentary about backing singers. Great movie.
Yeah great movie.

The Broken Record podcast did an interview with her, same. Wild story.

Back
Top Bottom