What's connected in front of your Axe-Fx III?

J-C

Inspired
I have a three foot Mogami Platinum Cable from the guitar to a Digitech Drop Pedal; the drop pedal is connected to a Peterson StroboPLUS HD Tuner with a 1 foot Mogami Platinum Cable, and from the tuner to the front of the Axe FX III with a 1 foot Mogami Platinum Cable.

I don't notice any tone suck or latency.

Suhr buffer. One side split to Sonic Research tuner, the other goes to a patch box which then goes to the rear input of the Axe.

Reactions: J-C
I have a three foot Mogami Platinum Cable from the guitar to a Digitech Drop Pedal; the drop pedal is connected to a Peterson StroboPLUS HD Tuner with a 1 foot Mogami Platinum Cable, and from the tuner to the front of the Axe FX III with a 1 foot Mogami Platinum Cable.

I don't notice any tone suck or latency.

The digitech then is the first piece of gear instead of the Axe-Fx. The first piece is always critical and has some influence. It might be very little, yes, but it is most probably audible. AFAIK the digitech has an analogue path for the dry signal, so you get no latency, but it at least changes your signal from high impedance to low impedance before hitting the axe-fx.

Hmmm, I wonder if I could benefit from one of those Suhr buffers. Can't hurt right...
I'm running 55 feet of cable before the Axe, so a buffer is a must. The tone is better, the noise added is negligible to say the least, and I don't use the auto impedance feature. I always set it to 1M anyway.

Just guitar cable... the AFX3 is so fine in itself...even not a drive pedal, as the drive blocks in the AFX3 are better than on the 2. More organic, to say the least...
Isn’t that the point of having an Ax III?

Part of the reason I switched to the III was to get rid of the drop-tuners (I have both the Morpheus and the Digitech pedals). The virtual capo in the III works better than both of those pedals IMO (I use it to drop as far as 5 half steps for stuff like Slipknot). Both pedals are noisy and both have a high-end roll-off that really kills the life from your tone (though they're better than bringing an extra 5 guitars to each show). The pedals have about the same latency as the III for the first couple of half-steps (by ear, I didn't measure), but the III is much better at -5 IMO.

Back
Top Bottom