What's connected in front of your Axe-Fx III?

Isn’t that the point of having an Ax III?

I don't think there is a predefined point. Everyone can do what he or she wants. Maybe you have certain pedals that can't be recreated in the Axe fx or pedals that you think sound better than the Axe fx models or maybe want some more real time hands on control with the pedal knobs or whatever. Lots a reason to combine the Axe fx with pedals.

OK, I found a six foot mogami platinum to use. I love these cables. I can hear a big difference with them. Now other cables sound dull and lifeless.

I looked up Mogami Platinum and they are literally 200-300 dollars here in Canada for a 20' cable. Insane. I really don't buy that these cables make that much of a difference to justify the price... Smells like the overpriced 'Monster cable' scam to me. Am I mistaken?

I don't think there is a predefined point. Everyone can do what he or she wants. Maybe you have certain pedals that can't be recreated in the Axe fx or pedals that you think sound better than the Axe fx models or maybe want some more real time hands on control with the pedal knobs or whatever. Lots a reason to combine the Axe fx with pedals.
Point taken. Just seems there’s not much left the Ax can’t do if you tweak it enough.

I looked up Mogami Platinum and they are literally 200-300 dollars here in Canada for a 20' cable. Insane. I really don't buy that these cables make that much of a difference to justify the price... Smells like the overpriced 'Monster cable' scam to me. Am I mistaken?
I’ve got a Mogami cable, it’s very sturdy but I don’t hear sonic superiority over other cables. Then again I have old ears, and the high end isn’t there for me anymore. I was a cable junkie for awhile and now I have a pile of cables that I need to sell.

There was a positive to Monster cables - they have a lifetime warranty. Bring a dead one into any Monster retailer and they will exchange it for a new one.

100 foot Mogami platinum into two original Klon Centaurs into a Spaceman Mercury III then another 100 foot Mogami platinum, through my bank vault where the signal is washed in gold bullion then out and finally to the Axefx III.

When an audio cable makes a difference in tone, it’s because of the cable’s capacitance in a high-impedance situation (such as with passive guitar pickups). The higher the capacitance, the more highs get rolled off — and the more the pickup’s resonant peak gets shifted. Different cables have different capacitance per foot. Longer cables have more capacitance than shorter cables. If a manufacturer gives you other reasons for the wonderful tone of their cable, they’re blowing smoke.

You can find low-capacitance cables at reasonable prices. For example, Best-Tronics High Definition guitar cables. Capacitance is 20 pF per foot — about as low as it gets. A 20-foot cable will cost you $30 US.

Last edited:
When an audio cable makes a difference in tone, it’s because of the cable’s capacitance in a high-impedance situation (such as with passive guitar pickups). The higher the capacitance, the more highs get rolled off — and the more the pickup’s resonant peak gets shifted. Different cables have different capacitance per foot. Longer cables have more capacitance than shorter cables. If a manufacturer gives you other reasons for the wonderful tone of their cable, they’re blowing smoke.

You can find low-capacitance cables at reasonable prices. For example, Best-Tronics High Definition guitar cables. Capacitance is 20 pF per foot — as low as it gets. A 20-foot cable will cost you $30 US.

I just found this page which does a good job of explaining this:

http://www.shootoutguitarcables.com/guitar-cables-explained/capacitance-resonant-frequency.html

As I was not aware of the rating for George L cables that I use, so I did a search and wound up at the same site (also shows the Best-Tronics cable barely ahead of George L):

http://www.shootoutguitarcables.com/guitar-cables-explained/capacitance-chart.html

Values are pF per meter instead of per foot...

Last edited:
I just found this page which does a good job of explaining this:

http://www.shootoutguitarcables.com/guitar-cables-explained/capacitance-resonant-frequency.html

As I was not aware of the rating for George L cables that I use, so I did a search and wound up at the same site also shows the Best-Tronics cable barely ahead of George L):

http://www.shootoutguitarcables.com/guitar-cables-explained/capacitance-chart.html

Values are pF per meter instead of per foot...
Yes, George L cables are also low-capacitance, right around 20 pF per foot.

100 foot Mogami platinum into two original Klon Centaurs into a Spaceman Mercury III then another 100 foot Mogami platinum, through my bank vault where the signal is washed in gold bullion then out and finally to the Axefx III.
Is it oxygen-free bullion? Better check, that’s the really good stuff. ;)

Yep, that's why I have used them for years. Just didn't know how low before now. ;)
Do you use the George L’s for the cable running directly from your guitar? Which diameter? Any issues with the solderless connectors coming disconnected over time?

The only thing between me and the AxeFX III is a potential invoice from G66.

I'm waiting to see what the FM3 brings to the table before deciding as my AxeFX II still does my job admirably.

OK back to bloody cable geek talk! (My cables are thickish, black and rubbery .... they work fine)

I have a TC mini mimiq and a EH freeze pedal, although I haven't really used them with the Axe yet. They are the only pedals I have that I don't think I could emulate because they are so specific in what they do. I should get around to hooking the up in a loop, but... eh. Axe sound too nice, I haven't felt the need to add these pedals back in. (I also have a TC nova repeater that was my favourite delay, I haven't enjoyed the Axe delays as much yet, but I haven't really spent much time trying to copy the TC either. Must do that!)

Do you use the George L’s for the cable running directly from your guitar? Which diameter? Any issues with the solderless connectors coming disconnected over time?
I use them directly from the guitar... The ones I have are (I think) the .155 as they seem the same size as what I used on my pedalboard and rack connections later.

I have 2 cables and I got them on a whim when I ran across the premade cables in a guitar shop while visiting Las Vegas. they have the "long" brass connectors that use a small set screw.

I've never had any issues with the connectors on them. I've probably been using the same 2 cables for 15+ years.

I did occasionally have an issue with the patch cables that I made for rack and pedalboard use. I think that was only with the "thumbscrew" right angle connectors.

But honestly, I really liked them in any case. I could quickly make a bunch of custom patch cables of the exact length I needed and only required something to cut the cable.

The things I don't like about the George Ls as an actual guitar cable:

• They have a tendency to get twisty in a weird way - start to wrap around themselves
  • There can be some "handling" noise - most likely the .255 cables have better insulation
All that said, I'm interested in the Best-Tronic cables now. I'll probably grab one to see how they compare.

Reactions: Rex
I use them directly from the guitar... The ones I have are (I think) the .155 as they seem the same size as what I used on my pedalboard and rack connections later.

I have 2 cables and I got them on a whim when I ran across the premade cables in a guitar shop while visiting Las Vegas. they have the "long" brass connectors that use a small set screw.

I've never had any issues with the connectors on them. I've probably been using the same 2 cables for 15+ years.

I did occasionally have an issue with the patch cables that I made for rack and pedalboard use. I think that was only with the "thumbscrew" right angle connectors.

But honestly, I really liked them in any case. I could quickly make a bunch of custom patch cables of the exact length I needed and only required something to cut the cable.

The things I don't like about the George Ls as an actual guitar cable:

• They have a tendency to get twisty in a weird way - start to wrap around themselves
  • There can be some "handling" noise - most likely the .255 cables have better insulation
All that said, I'm interested in the Best-Tronic cables now. I'll probably grab one to see how they compare.
Thanks. I’ve always wondered about how that would work out.

Do give the Best-Tronics stuff a go. It’s supple and it lays flat on the stage.

Nothing yet. But I will add my two fuzz pedals and my new TC Electronic Eyemaster (Boss HM2 clone).
But I rather put them in a loop of the Axe FX and just virtually put them first on the grid ...

I'm not sure about the input circuitry on the FX III. My old Eleven Rack had a true Z on it. I wonder if a Motu zbox guitar impedence adapter would make any difference? When I gig whats in front is a Line 6 G50 unit and polytune. I actually change the cable length on the line6 based on which guitar I'm playing.

Back
Top Bottom