Whats Cliff doing now?

Wow, this was a fast-moving interesting thread right up until one group started pointing fingers at another group and BAM !!!....it fell
flat on it's face. I guess that's why we can't have nice things !! laugh.gif

Cliff is in the process of modelling this...

334766262_917117849328622_2721628973975257591_n.jpg

It must be soul destoying when sharing a piece of news/an image of a new feature and everyone jumps on board with ideas (demands 👿) for additional feature implementations.
I could definitely see this being frustrating, but the folks at Fractal seem to take it as the well-intentioned wishes / desires that most people intend to share as opposed to the obsessive demands that often come across.

I posted this on the most excellent thegearforum.com and will share it here too:

We chose "quality over quantity". We decided that fewer mics, longer IRs and higher spatial sampling were better than shorter IRs, less spatial sampling and more mics.

I've also come up with a novel method to align IRs. The plots below illustrate this:

ir_alignment.PNG

The top plot is a comparison of two IRs from a popular product. The IRs are misaligned by roughly 2.5 samples. These IRs were for the same cab and mic, just at two different positions/distances.

The bottom plot are those same two IRs after being put through my IR Alignment process. If the IRs aren't perfectly aligned then you get "phasiness" as you interpolate between spatial points because you introduce notches into the spectrum. A delay of 2.5 samples will create notches at 9.6 and 19.2 kHz (@ 48kHz sample rate).

Furthermore my algorithm aligns IRs across all combinations of cabs/mics. So you can mix IRs from different cabs without worrying about time alignment.

If it helps in discussions with the wife, ive got two AxeFxIIIs (a Mk1 and a Mk2) two Fc12s, an FM9 and FC6 and Ev1 and Ev2 and a FX8 (have also had a FM3, AxeFX2, AX9) - so you need to step up your game ;) Hope that helps.
Haha I wish! Not my day job, just a passion and Sunday worship. I bought two Core PRS models, a Marshall DSL40CR, and built an entire pedalboard along with my Fractal gear over the last 2.5 years. I’ve got no choice but to slow it down for a bit. 😅

Back
Top Bottom