Whats Cliff doing now?

IMO the visualization is actually one of the more important parts of this sort of cab sim.

The problem with IRs is that you don't have any reference what it translates to so most people pick a cab they like then go through the IRs until they find something that works for them. That leaves a huge amount of those IRs unused. Not having a visualization ends up in the same spot where the original Line6 Helix cab sim was - the position/distance options weren't intuitive.

With a visualization you can start thinking like micing a real speaker. "Hmm, I should pull back the mic a bit to reduce the boomy low end" or "I should move it closer to the center to make it a bit brighter". That hugely reduces reliance on preset IRs or mixes as the user can craft their own easily.

ML Sound Lab actually posted a really nice video about micing cabs, showcasing using the brand new MIKKO 2 plugin how different mics can require different techniques for placement and how different sides of the cone can sound different.

@Greg Ferguson
I didn't want to use this as an example, but this is what I ment with a modern GUI. Something that is visualizing the speaker and the mic. That's what I ment with modern GUI for this particular usage. I am very happy with FX3 and also with Axe Edit. So I didn't understand you "attack" (That's how I perceived your reaction).

I was stating my hope and my wish (which is not a negative thing in my mind), but luckily FractalAudio stated:

1678362027242.png

So I am very very exited as a sole FRFR user home, rehearsel and gigs that there is a new ( and even more dynamic) solution for cabs and mic's.

I really love the axe fx3 and really happy I jumped on the fractal wagon. Sold almost all my amps, drives and effects and went full FRFR. The axe FX3 is so versatile with amps and effects and to me feels way better then any other modeler. And it seems to me that it would be easier to get the sound you want or have in mind with the dynamic cab solution instead of trying loads and loads of IR's.

Looking forward to try this and happy to see the way this is going!

Well this again is speculation, but consider the Fm3 has sold extremely well now if new Dynacabs would limit the the Fm3 or could not be implemented i would imagine a lot of disappointed users, i dont think that Fractal as a company would not have studied this aspect
to make sure that this new major update works across all current platforms
Even if it didn't make it to the FM3 (and I believe it will), you have other solutions.

• You could get the ML Sound Lab MIKKO 2 for example which comes with 38 different cabs and lets you export IRs you could then put in the FM3 with your preferred mic mix.
  • You could just keep using the vast and excellent sounding current factory IR library and the current IR mixing tools.
  • 3rd party IRs.

Even if it didn't make it to the FM3 (and I believe it will), you have other solutions.

• You could get the ML Sound Lab MIKKO 2 for example which comes with 38 different cabs and lets you export IRs you could then put in the FM3 with your preferred mic mix.
  • You could just keep using the vast and excellent sounding current factory IR library and the current IR mixing tools.
  • 3rd party IRs.
I have Mikko 1 which I use with my FM3 and I do like it (prefer over two notes and I don't have to use Voxengo Deconvolver which is another variable to deal with) - whether I upgrade to Mikko 2 depends on what Fractal come up with - do I need 38 cabs? Not really.
If the new movable microphones doesn't come to FM3 but did to Cab lab (similar to Mikko) then that would be cool - I think the paid version of Cab Lab had the smoothing parameter as well which the FM3 doesn't have.

• 3rd party IRs.
True I do have some IR's, but vastly Prefer the Helix 3.5 Cab implementation so much easier and faster
and well the Mikko Stuff is expensive

I have Mikko 1 which I use with my FM3 and I do like it (prefer over two notes and I don't have to use Voxengo Deconvolver which is another variable to deal with) - whether I upgrade to Mikko 2 depends on what Fractal come up with - do I need 38 cabs? Not really.
If the new movable microphones doesn't come to FM3 but did to Cab lab (similar to Mikko) then that would be cool - I think the paid version of Cab Lab had the smoothing parameter as well which the FM3 doesn't have.
Yeah I have the OG MIKKO plugin as well and haven't felt the need to upgrade as I have all the cabs I want, even though I'd like the improved UI.

It must be soul destoying when sharing a piece of news/an image of a new feature and everyone jumps on board with ideas (demands 👿) for additional feature implementations.

I’d imagine it’s no different than releasing a piece of music you’ve labored over for a considerable amount of time and people automatically feel the need to tell you what they would have done with it, or how you should have mixed it, as if you’re completely unaware of the choices you made yourself.

”That snare is too loud, turn it down.”

”I want it that loud.”

”I wouldn’t do it that way.”

”Good thing you didn’t write, record and mix the song then, buddy!”

I’d imagine it’s no different than releasing a piece of music you’ve labored over for a considerable amount of time and people automatically feel the need to tell you what they would have done with it, or how you should have mixed it, as if you’re completely unaware of the choices you made yourself.

”I want it that loud.”

Yeah the thread on TGP has a bunch of people with #opinions about how it will work, how cliffs phase algorithm works, how licensing out the dyna cab to 3rd party studios will work, how it will sound etc etc. Maybe I’ve had my head in the sand for too long on these forums but the amount of “Things I would do if I owned a company” comments seem to be larger than normal.

”I want it that loud.”

While this is so true, I would venture to guess that Cliff knew exactly what would be coming, since it's not his first rodeo. biggrin.gif

Last edited:
I have no feature requests. None. Ever. (Except I hope that men in black suits never show up at my house, ‘asking‘ to take my Axe-FX III away.)

But I do want to note that Cliff is the Secret Sauce that brings us joy every time we plug in our guitars.

Cliff, whenever you break your intermittent fasts, I hope you treat yourself to the best of all possible meals, and use the good china.

Yeah the thread on TGP has a bunch of people with #opinions about how it will work, how cliffs phase algorithm works, how licensing out the dyna cab to 3rd party studios will work, how it will sound etc etc. Maybe I’ve had my head in the sand for too long on these forums but the amount of “Things I would do if I owned a company” comments seem to be larger than normal.

How strange! That doesn't sound like TGP in the slightest!!

• 3rd party IRs.

If limited memory is an issue and constrains the availability of this feature on some models, or the size of the DynaCab library on others, one could imagine a approach where the library resides on your computer instead of on the device. That way you'd only need a small amount of memory on the device to store the single interpolated IR in the scratchpad while editing, and in nv memory when you save your preset.

”I want it that loud.”

I think JT said it in the nicest possible way
Woah , some of you need to to be sending out some resumes l😂

Yeah according to some on TGP this is just the same ol' tech that's been around for years and Fractal is playing catch-up

Yeah according to some on TGP this is just the same ol' tech that's been around for years and Fractal is playing catch-up
Haters gonna you know...
Yeah. I saw those posts. I especially love the one about the VST that you were kicking around back in the day but abandoned due to piracy concerns. I think his response was something like “he should hold himself accountable and release the VST.” 😂

Lol of course , and all the modelling is just turning up the output and adding or subtracting gain stages
I hate the TGP back there just to view a thread and same old know it all armchair CEO toxic crap

Lol of course , and all the modelling is just turning up the output and adding or subtracting gain stages
I hate the TGP back there just to view a thread and same old know it all armchair CEO toxic crap

I posted the info there because I know some people do care about it and will want to know the latest in Fractal land, but it's almost not worth it because all the "experts" come out of the woodwork to talk shit.

Back
Top Bottom