What wireless unit are you running with the AX8?

I have an Xvive U2. Pretty nice and good for it's price.
I love the size of the receiver, not taking ANY space on the board. Love that the receiver is also battery powered, charge both at the same time. It sounds good, but just a little noisier than a cable. It also cuts out the grounding issues, so that part is a plus again, but the noise is starting to get to me. The U2 is featherlight, it is lighter than a cable. Still, I prefer a transmitter on a cable/body pack, mostly because it looks cooler than that UFO shaped thing, and also because I've gotten used to REAN Silent plugs which I can solder onto any cable I want. Look like Switchcraft, but cuts sound before it gets a chance to pop when you pull it out. So I tried to make an extension cable, but the female (REAN/Neutrik female plug) didn't connect properly. Apparently the jack on the U2 is longer than usual, so it didn't pull tight.

The worst thing is, our bassist also got one after I was positive about it when I first got it, but we're interfering with each other. Can't be closer than 9 feet. Highly annoying, since on many stages and in our rehearsal room we are about that far or closer.

Also, as soon as he turns his Xvive on, our digital mixers' router loses contact with the controlling tablets/PCs. It's interfering on the 2.4G WIFI band as well. Since it isn't actual wifi it doesn't show up on wifi scanner, so we can't check where it is. It just occurred to me I could maybe find the band in the documentation. Anyway. We could also get a 5G router, of course, but that is money. So we took some Cat6 cable and put the router near the mix position.

Currently looking at the PRA WIC. May get that, although the Smooth hound looks good too. And much cheaper. Esp. here in the EU.

Last edited:
Lectrosonics, great stuff, but if I hadn't gotten a good deal on a used one with two transmitters, I don't think I would have spent on a new one.

Timely topic - been shopping a Shure or Sennheiser 2.4 Ghz system. How do these do in a crowd, if a person gets between you and the receiver?

I swore I would never run wireless. They all seemed to suck tone, but I got a killer deal on a Line6 G30 and thought what the heck. Our singer uses the G10 and loves it, so I gave it a shot and it works very nicely. Also love the fact the transmitter uses standard cables. I keep a box of batteries and a backup cable on my board just in case.

Board.GIF

I had a Korg many, many years ago. May have been the first wireless ever made and it was like eating Salmon out of a can, you never get that taste out of your mouth. I just bought a G-10. No complaints, it works, it works great and better than advertised. I'm back!

I have a Line6 G50. Never had any dropout or issues with it. I love the cable-tone feature, it lets you roll off some of the highs to get you close to the sound of using a cable, I find that it suits me well.

I'm using the Shure GLX-D16. Awesome unit, sounds great. Having multiple transmitters allows me to adjust the gain for each guitar to keep an even signal going into the unit. Range is outrageous too.

I am reading about the Line 6 G10 and many people complain about the USB connector breaking easily. Is that something you only need to connect to when you charge the unit, and has line 6 improved the quality on the unit?

For years I've been running 2 transmitters on the guitar strap splitting the cable out of my piezo equipped guitars. When I had the Axe Fx ll, the two G90's in a rack worked flawlessly. When I switched to the AX8, I decided to try two Shure GLX-D16 systems on my pedalboard. They have great range and sound amazing BUT... You cannot have the transmitters near each other on the guitar strap because the signal will drop for up to 30 seconds at a time. After trying everything the manual suggested to isolate the frequencies with no success, I called Shure. They had no answers and suggested that I put one transmitter up by my shoulder and one at the bottom of the strap... UNACCEPTABLE! SO surprised Shure didn't notice this! I returned these and picked up two G50's and they work flawlessly with the transmitters right next to each other.

I am reading about the Line 6 G10 and many people complain about the USB connector breaking easily. Is that something you only need to connect to when you charge the unit, and has line 6 improved the quality on the unit?

You need the USB connection to power the receiver so it's always required. I've had one USB connector break. I've bought another one but decided to just keep that at home and at the moment I'm back to using a cable when playing with my band. As far as operations goes it's been flawless so really hope Line 6 makes like a G20 with the G10 transmitter and a pedalboard friendly receiver.

You need the USB connection to power the receiver so it's always required. I've had one USB connector break. I've bought another one but decided to just keep that at home and at the moment I'm back to using a cable when playing with my band. As far as operations goes it's been flawless so really hope Line 6 makes like a G20 with the G10 transmitter and a pedalboard friendly receiver.

How long time does it take to charge and how long does the battery last?

I have a Line6 G50. Never had any dropout or issues with it. I love the cable-tone feature, it lets you roll off some of the highs to get you close to the sound of using a cable, I find that it suits me well.

I use the G50, and echo this statement. I have the cable tone set to 30ft. The thing with all of these digital 24-bit wireless systems, is that they ALL sound better than ANY cable. There's no resistance, and no high end roll-off. So, that cable tone feature is def needed. - With that said, I've played everywhere from clubs 2 floors underground, to large theaters, and all kinds of different environments with potential interference and haven't had any issues with drop outs.

Back
Top Bottom