What wireless unit are you running with the AX8?

G30 for a number of years now. one or two gigs with drop outs - one I had to stop using it but 95% of hte time it is 100% solid.

Reminder, there may be software updates for your wireless units. So make sure you keep them current, if needed. Sometimes, we think it's a dumb device that either works or doesn't. I recently upgraded my GLXD that I purchased in 2015 to the latest code. Never had a drop-out issue, but it does look like the've made improvements to the firmware as well as enabling some new features so I went ahead an loaded it up!

Line6 G90 for 7 yrs, then upgraded to the Senn D1 last Oct.
The D1 "auto senses" the "best" channel and switches as needed. No need to worry about conflicts.
I LOVE the Sennheiser stuff.. including my G3 IEM.
With the Line6 wireless, you have to make sure you are not using the same channel as others in the band. We had 3 of us using L6 wireless.. so we picked channels with gaps between.. eg 1, 3 and 5.
With the D1, I don't have to worry about that... Power up.. and go!
No issues with 2.4 dropout with either unit.

The D1 looks really nice! I had a EW100 for years and had I not gone to an AX8 I would have kept it! The only downside I can see is the foot print, a little big for a pedal board.

Line 6 G50 for the AX8, on a Trailer Trash board.

Line 6 G90 for the Axe-Fx II, in the rack rig.

Several TBP12 transmitters for different stage guitars.

The D1 looks really nice! I had a EW100 for years and had I not gone to an AX8 I would have kept it! The only downside I can see is the foot print, a little big for a pedal board.
yeah, it is... I have it rack mounted for normal use.. but have set it up to sit on a pedal board when needed... The biggest issue with it on a pedal board is power..
IIRC - it needs 12v DC 350mA REVERSE polarity supply, which is NOT commonly available as a power source. After much research I bought a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power for the board and a reverse polarity cable (separate purchase) to connect the D1.
NONE of that is needed is you rack mount it and use the supplied wal-wart adapter.

But yeah.. AWESOME unit.. LOVE it !!

Line 6 G10 on the AX8 pedalboard, because it's small and rechargeable.
I'm on my 2nd unit because the mini USB connector in the first receiver fell off inside of the unit.
I'm much more careful with the USB cable on the replacement G10 so it doesn't get bumped.

I also have a Line 6 G90 rackmount in my AXE FX II rack.

have had zero dropouts with either unit.

Line 6 G10 for me. Really like the simplicity of this one.

Used it at home mostly, still have to try it during a gig. But as I don't play on huge stages it should be just fine!

Recently switched to the Shure as part of a complete board rebuild - all good so far and the tuner is fab too. Board build pics and video coming soon :)
I think the tuner in the Shure unit is weak. It is my last favorite of the three I have on the board. AX8 is second best and the polytune is fantastic

I am not sure, I knew there was a strobe mode - Anyway, I can no longer live without the polytune mode.

The tuner in the Shure felt like my old Korg Pitch Black PB1. Not a bad tuner, but just not up to speed this days.

Shure GLXD-16 for shure.
Absolutely reliable, road worthy cable connections, and it does not alter your tone as some others do...

Considering the conversation involves two of my favorite non-FAS things (polytune and G10), I figured I'd post a pic of my rig, which I've never actually done before. So far I've avoided trouble with the G10 USB by having it mounted at 90 degrees CW from normal as it seems to protect the plug.

RenderedContent-56A4C204-8655-4F6D-8DE7-B41769B3ADC3.JPG

Have you tried it in strobe mode? I find it identical in accuracy to the AX8 and found it good enough to take the polytune off my board. Choices, choices!
Second the strobe mode! works really well, I have also checked it with my peterson and it's right there.

Last edited:
Line6 G30 mounted underneath the pedalboard. Works great and I like the fact it uses a standard cable to connect transmitter to guitar and it takes regular batteries. I use rechargables but always carry regular spares as well as a standard cable.
The only time I've had it cut out was when a venue had a hearing aid induction loop turned on.
I'd have no hesitation buying another if I ever needed to replace it

So, you guys that use units like the G10 and the XVive, what's your experience with the transmitter being so bulky and sticking out of the guitar like they do? I fear that I'd smack it one time and bust it off. :) Not to mention I'm not a fan of how it looks. I suppose you could use a one foot 1/4" female to male extension cable to put it on your strap or something...

Back
Top Bottom