What wireless unit are you running with the AX8?

Line 6 G70. I love everything about the unit: small size, mutable, tuner, DI, but the best feature is the cable in. I use that for an acoustic guitar and I can quickly grab it an plug in if the transmitter should ever fail... Which it has not.

Thanks for all your input so far.

For guys running the 2.4 GHz frequency, Have any of you experienced ANY interference from Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or other wireless devices?

If you end up mounting your AX8 to a pedalboard (like I have), I’ve also mounted a Dunlop mini expression pedal, as well as the Line 6 G70 as it is small, compact, sturdy and reliable. That way, there’s no need for more gear, like a rack etc. My pedalboard case is the perfect grab-and-go rig. Pedalboard/case in one arm, guitar in the next, voila. So if you wanted to go with something that is _pedalboard friendly_ so to speak, it’s the Line 6 G50/70 (the 30 is entry level but decent) or the Shure GLXD16 – all of which are digital wireless.

If it’s rack-mountable that you want, by far the Sennhiesers are the best in my experience. Minimal plastic, mostly metal, German-made. It kills the Line 6 G90 (I’ve owned one, and the guitarist in my band has one which seems to give him on-going issues…).

Horses for courses..

Not my experience with Line 6 G90 at all. I just did a wedding gig last night where my G90 was in a Gator case with my Soundcraft UI16 wifi mixer. Both the UI16 and G90 had the antennas next to each other, I was using the Line 6 as well as controlling the mixer via my HP laptop with a friend also connected to the Soundcraft via his iPad. Not a single issue with the G90 but the UI16 would disconnect for a second or 2 a few times.
There was about 200+ people at the hall with about 75% of them using their smartphones plus the hall and adjacent one being full and having free wifi. Everything went well as it always has with my G90 with zero dropouts which has been the case since buying it several years ago.

I've used the Line 6 G10 for a long time now. No issues at all, the signal is VERY clean (one of my PreSonus engineer friends who runs sound at venues I play said the signal sounds very transparent), and the setup is automatic. I love this thing and would buy it again.

I've used the Line 6 G10 for a long time now. No issues at all, the signal is VERY clean (one of my PreSonus engineer friends who runs sound at venues I play said the signal sounds very transparent), and the setup is automatic. I love this thing and would buy it again.

Me too. G10 is relatively cheap, zero tech complications, no interference. Kinda lands in the "it just works" category, and has become part of my rig that I don't really think about.
But, it is rechargeable, for better or worse. The bad side is you have to remember to recharge it, from zero charge to full is something like 30 mins. And if you have 2 minutes available, there's no battery to change, so you have to grab a cable and go traditional. But that was a lesson I learned the hard way once. Only once.
And the power is via a usb plug. I attached the receiver to my board such that it is protected, but it is the weak point of the unit.

Line6 G90 for 7 yrs, then upgraded to the Senn D1 last Oct.
The D1 "auto senses" the "best" channel and switches as needed. No need to worry about conflicts.
I LOVE the Sennheiser stuff.. including my G3 IEM.
With the Line6 wireless, you have to make sure you are not using the same channel as others in the band. We had 3 of us using L6 wireless.. so we picked channels with gaps between.. eg 1, 3 and 5.
With the D1, I don't have to worry about that... Power up.. and go!
No issues with 2.4 dropout with either unit.

I use a Line 6 G30, works great and not too expensive. Even got hold of a second transmitter, and have two guitars ready without even unplugging. I use this at home as well, to tidy up things a bit, and avoid cables across the room.

And though it shouldn't be possible to get too lazy to play guitar, easy access and having everything ready helps to play more. (That's one reason for loving the ax8 as well).
I do the same...mounted right to my AX8...zero complaints, best bang for buck wireless out there.
wp-20160921-003_orig.jpg

Got a Line 6 G50 and had a bad chord out of the box. It didn't fit on my board like I wanted to either. Returned it and went with the Shure GLXD16 and have had no issues. I play in a heavy Wi-Fi/Cell phone use area and have had no issues. The folks playing with me use Line 6 and Sennheiser and so far so good.

20170819_235941_resized.jpg

Thanks for all your input so far.

For guys running the 2.4 GHz frequency, Have any of you experienced ANY interference from Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or other wireless devices?
No issues. I've used Shure, Line 6 and Brace digital wireless units and the 2.4's all were solid on keeping a signal. Had some issues with digital mics and in ears, but the guitar signals have been great.

Me too. G10 is relatively cheap, zero tech complications, no interference. Kinda lands in the "it just works" category, and has become part of my rig that I don't really think about.
But, it is rechargeable, for better or worse. The bad side is you have to remember to recharge it, from zero charge to full is something like 30 mins. And if you have 2 minutes available, there's no battery to change, so you have to grab a cable and go traditional. But that was a lesson I learned the hard way once. Only once.
And the power is via a usb plug. I attached the receiver to my board such that it is protected, but it is the weak point of the unit.
Switched from the g50 (now my backup) to the g10 just for the rechargeable battery. Because it is mounted to my board I place the bug in the receiver/charger between sets and seem to always be at full charge again after the 10-15 min break. Just have to remember to put it in the charger when you power up during setup/soundcheck. Agree that the power cable is not a real confidence builder but since it lives on the board, it seems fine. Not sure plugging and unplugging every gig would give me confidence. Sound quality is equal to the G50, but you definitely don't want to wander more than 45-50 feet away.

Back
Top Bottom