What was your first Digital Modeler?

Wish I'd kept this 112 Spider Valve I purchased new for like 500$Cdn around 2010, not so much for the modelling preamp but it had a Bogner designed 6L6 based tube power amp accessable via fx rtn, and Celestion V30 speaker. If I had it now, I'd repurpose it into monoblock tube power amp head and 112 v30 cab.

Last edited:
PodXT. If it wasn't for the PodXT there wouldn't be an Axe-Fx.

Bought a Dual Rectifier and hated it. Store wouldn't refund my money so gave me store credit. I used the credit to buy a PodXT. Tried for several weeks to make the thing sound good. Couldn't.

I thought the concept was great but I just couldn't get a usable sound out of it. So I set out to make something that actually sounded good.
C2F9C224-C8E2-42E0-B60E-7C60B485C8E2.jpeg

Some of you guys are killing me with your nostalgic talk and the good tones you could get. I also have fond remembrances of former modelers, but after getting my Fractal, if I had to step back to that, it would feel so lifeless now (despite what I thought at the time).

Sort of like going back to a crazy ex-girlfriend because you forgot about the crazy and only remembered the good times....

1645761859215.png

I had one of the original Line6 kidney bean pods too. I thought it was remarkably not-bad for the day and enjoyed its flexibility. I'd usually run it into the effects return of a Peavey combo amp, though it was for practice and causal noodling at home. I can't remember whether I ever plugged it into the blue stripe Mark III that I gigged with at the time...

Eventually I "upgraded" to a Pod X3, which was somehow not as good. After I got My Axe-FX II I left the X3 on my desk to cultivate a layer of dust. Eventually that wasn't funny any more and I packed it up.

I started with a Boss GT-3 back in 1999? The sound didn't really inspire me but I had a Crate amp that had very useable sounds so I just stuck with that. Then I got the Boss GT-10 some years later and still wasn't too impressed with the sounds I got from it. Then by the 2013 I started using Amplitube and by 2019 onward I had all of the software sims mostly (Amplitube 3/4/5 Max, Bias Pro 1/2 Elite, Bias Amp 2, Guitar Rig Pro 6, THU with some rigs, Murcialls and some other stuff. But in 2020 I also had the AxeFX 3.

To my ear the AxeFX 3 (especially with more recent updates) sounds amazing but it takes me days if not weeks to get a sound I like. Sometimes I play through Amplitube or Bias just so I can have a sound within minutes if not hours that are playable then if I feel like it I'll go try to get something like it on the Axe FX 3. I just can't dial that thing in so I don't find myself tinkering too much. But when I want an inspiring sound, Ill use the AF3.

Of course I haven't played in the past 9 months because of a series of injuries or COVIDs but I'll start again soon.

2001-06-behringervamp-1-4b72O1YO46mm6yUKrcPh1aQltsxzL.94.jpg

Did the trick for practise at home when the rig was at the rehearsal space... :D

It wasn’t mine, but it was in my possession for a couple years; my uncle‘s Digitech 2101 and Alesis Quadraverb GT.

My uncle sold his Boogie MKIII halfstack to buy that 2101 when it first came out and thus started his battle with technology that still exists today. :D He re-joined the army and ended up in Korea for a couple years so he stored his gear at my mom’s house, which I eventually started dragging to band practices.

One night while I was tweaking patches and not knowing what I was doing, I thought the factory reset would only apply to one preset. He was coming home in about a week or two from that night and I erased all his presets. Going from memory I started re-dialing them all in, trying to remember the names of everything. He never said anything about it…..but I think because he was too pissed off after he found his Ibanez RG570 with a repaired headstock and my band’s demo of “Man In The Box” in his Tascam 688. :D

Boss GX700 first owned, the first I played with I think was a Zoom 9000 (my set up was a Fender left end strato '69 into a Boss DS1 into mixer).

Fractal Ultra. I thought they were crap until then. Unless you counnt a Rockman II as a modeler. That was way back in 1982 or 83.

Line 6 Flextone III was nice for me 'cause at that time I didn't had an amp for a couple years and was playing with pedals hooked to the mic input of an old boombox since my little practice amp was blown during a heavy thunderstorm. The Flextone modeling was great for me, until you palm-muted anything at high volume, then the 12" speaker farted like a lactose-intolerant rat trapped in a cheese store.

Before that I had a Zoom 4040 and Digitech GNX3 (and a Boss GT-3 for a couple weeks, but hated it from the moment I first plugged it) which are not "modelers" per-se but one could said it had some kind of amp sim going on...

Got to play a couple shows with a friend's PODXT Live, and yeah... It wasn't the most memorable experience at all. From then it was mostly plugins (LePou, GR, Revalver) until I got a PODHD500X but quickly grew bored of it.

It wasn't until I got the AX8 in 2016 that I seriously considered going from a Tube Amp+Pedals rig back to full digital. And here I am.

Back
Top Bottom