What was your first Digital Modeler?

I haven’t found a better environment for discovering new music since. I discovered hundreds of bands through customers and employees.

Music stores were the best hang! One of my faves in the late 70's when I was a
lad was also an headshop. Walking in there was like piercing the veil and entering
hallowed ground. Used to love to check out the posters, lava lamps, incense, funny
shaped glass objects, and LPs, of course. :)

Depends what you classify as a modeler.
I've had a korg g3, korg Pandora(still own), digitech rp6, zoom 9000 (still own)
But my first was original pod (still own)
The original was better than all the pod farm stuff.
POD 1 and 2 were made by a different dev team, they left before PODXt.

Music stores were the best hang! One of my faves in the late 70's when I was a
lad was also an headshop. Walking in there was like piercing the veil and entering
hallowed ground. Used to love to check out the posters, lava lamps, incense, funny
shaped glass objects, and LPs, of course. :)
I remember the first head shop I went to...."the basement". It was literally in the basement of this little house. To enter you walked down the stairs on the outside. They truly must have had a sense of humor. To mess with (high) people they had two door knobs installed on the door. The real one on the left side and fake one on the right side of the door.

the producer demanded I use a...
I hated when they insisted us doing anything a certain way. How else do you expand? What if a producer told Jimmy Page, No, you don't play tapes backwards! (NOT comparing myself to JP.)

We had this studio owner who recorded everything we did awash in Reverb, and needless to say, it sounded like SHIT!!
I finally got him to make me a rough-mix tape with no Reverb, put it in my car, and we all (the band; he wasn't included) agreed it sounded fine!

"I've been doing this for X years..." IDC!!

Line6 PODXT Pro + FPV
Boss GT Pro
DSP Plug in for Sonic Core DSP System
AFX3 MK1

Attachments

• 5E9595B0-DB07-42C5-8F8F-31F66346093A.jpeg
    5E9595B0-DB07-42C5-8F8F-31F66346093A.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 81EF6E91-9050-43E5-BAEC-83F2232885B2.jpeg
    81EF6E91-9050-43E5-BAEC-83F2232885B2.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 3
  • D01F3ED8-59EF-42A5-B925-BC3D9EC8BA9C.jpeg
    D01F3ED8-59EF-42A5-B925-BC3D9EC8BA9C.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 5CE002EB-CA2F-4306-BB93-5E9E67F9278B.jpeg
    5CE002EB-CA2F-4306-BB93-5E9E67F9278B.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 8C2B61A9-1D01-47B5-884F-1E8DF8C48D1B.jpeg
    8C2B61A9-1D01-47B5-884F-1E8DF8C48D1B.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 3
one of the Digitech RP's, Rp100 maybe? Or maybe it was this little half space Yamaha rack unit, I can't remember which was first...but I think it was this thing
1645657498136.png

Korg AX1000, I haven't seen many of these out in the wild, but my grandad happened to have one. It had lots of issues (only the right output worked, expression pedal was funny, etc). This was my entry into the digital world, and shortly after I picked up an Axe-FX II Mk.1, where I stay very happy.
1645657960798.png

I'm also thoroughly ashamed and embarrassed to have gigged the offerings from zoom, the digitech RPs, various pods, boss GTs and roland VG gear, korg, vox, and a host of others....usually I'd play a total of one gig with them believing they'd sound great, and ditch them in favor of my amps again. I think I played a couple gigs with modelers like the xt live and the VG-99, before ditching them, but the majority of gigs saw me pack away these 'modelers' after the first gig!!

I also used eventide and tc electronic gear for fx before Fractal, with an engl preamp and a rack mount tech 21 psa......that's also a modeler, but of the analog type! Actually was pretty cool, 1U and digital preset recall of the analog values set by the encoders or something like that.....

At one point I was touring with a JMP-1/EL34 100 PA or Framus Cobra amp with a TC Electronic G-Major in loop for effects (because I couldn't quite afford a G-Force or Fireworx) and used the GT 3 for midi control. Was actually a pretty decent rig but logistically very unpleasant, to know now that I can well surpass that with my FM9 is just, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!! :laughing:

Makes me wonder what has happened to all of these devices? I'm sure there is a treasure trove of the stuff in the landfills all over the planet.
I've still got my Pod XT Pro and Bass Pod XT Pro. The former is for sale, the latter was being used just for effects, except last night it seems to have suddenly quit on me.

I had one of these li'l mini beans for a while as my micro play guitar in the fancy sitting parlour room rig - am amazed they are still being sold.

View attachment 96792
I have one also! Lately I was using it on my workbench for "does this pickup make noise?" and about a year ago for when I went to checkout a Craigslist by meeting the seller in a park, just to make sure the thing worked.

One of these days I'm going to just give it to my niece.

I just watched a 30 minute video of a guy playing one of these on Youtube....I swear it still sounds dang good, especially considering it was made in 1994
I watched the same video...then looked them up on reverb... I agree. I still keep my GNX4 as a backup...it still sounds decent enough to get me through a service ticket.

Last edited:
Boss GX700......Still have it. Made a pretty good living with it.
EDIT: I had many after the GX700 but only listed the 1st one, per the OP.
I did stay with Boss. All the GT's. It was a Boss GT forum (2009) where I first heard about this amazing new thing Called the Fractal Audio Standard.

The rest is history!

Last edited:
Vox Valvetronix: a killer-sounding combo that combined modeling with a tube to smooth the sound out. Had that for quite awhile and still regret selling it.

Later tried the Pod X3 but it was frustrating to learn how to get good tones out of it. I didn’t understand the importance of IRs (can’t remember if it even let you load them) and didn’t want to learn all the ways you had to cut highs/lows to kill the omnipresent fizz.

Next, I tried Bias FX. It was not bad. Ability to blend two amps together was absolutely necessary to get any tone I liked out of it.

Shelled out for a Kemper and liked the sounds, but it felt like such a black box trying to get the sound in my head. That and I kept having profile FOMO.

Got a FM3 and been super happy with it. I’m on the FM9 waitlist but with the CNFB update I’m not sure that dual amp has quite the same draw for me; the distortion texture of a single amp in CNFB is superb.

Also, I've owned a Flextone 2, a Vox modeling amp, and a L6 X3L. I have a Boss Katana head v1, that I use in teaching guitar. Have a pedalboard that gets lots of usage.
That's where I'm at now, as I await an invite to buy a FM9.

Back
Top Bottom